Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
goo(continued from previous posts)

8/4/08 - Third Session - 3.5 hours of play - Completed half of 1778 (Winter and Spring)

New England - Since the Americans still held the strategic town of Hartford, significant American reinforcements were placed in New England. The remaining American forces near Hartford were summarily defeated by the converging British forces. All strategic towns in the area are finally under British control, but to no avail since the Americans were able to detach a small force of newly placed reinforcements (under the command of Benedict Arnold apparently) to once again seize control of Montreal, thereby nullifying British control of New England.

Middle States - Disaster struck the British as a large American force (25+) moved north from the Philadelphia area and eliminated a similarly sized British force in the vicinity of West Point. A smaller British force moved north from Alexandria (South Central area) to threaten Philadelphia and take some of the heat off the New England Brits, but miscalculated badly and was also decimated. Not a good turn for the Brits in the Middle States.

South Central - Relatively quiet. Most of the British force left this area to help out around Philadelphia, and got destroyed in the process. The entire area is now firmly in Rebel hands.

Deep South - The newly recruited American force was trapped along the west bank of the Savannah River and destroyed completely. The British lack sufficient force to safely occupy more than two strategic towns at a time, so the replacement rate is "Average" across the board as long as the Americans retain one Continental strength point (which they have been doing by running one South Central Continental point down across the border into the Deep South near the end of the quarter) meaning that every turn there are 8 new Rebel Militia and 1 new Continental, which just about equals the total British force in the area. So every turn the Brits have a 1-1 fight to contend with. It's just a matter of time before one of those battles goes against them...

Overall - Looking pretty grim for the British at this point. Their inability to control ANY of the areas is producing a stream of Continental Army reinforcements that cannot be matched. Combine that with the combat losses in Philadelphia and West Point, and it leaves the British with a significant numerical deficit. The Americans failed the French Intervention die roll in April, May and June but, without any die roll modifiers for British controlled areas, it seems very likely that the French will be arriving in the Summer. More bad news for the Brits.

(will continue this session report as the campaign game progresses)

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep them coming. I love this little game and have played it often solo but would look forward to a ftf game one day with its Fog of war elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Simon,

I've found that the Tactics Cards are one of the most interesting aspects of the game. I'm sure that you can come up with some solitaire method for handling this, but nothing can match the element of unpredictability that the Tactics Cards bring to a FTF game. Even in 3-1 or 4-1 situations, the defender can still make a good showing (or even terminate the battle prematurely) with proper management of the Tactics Cards. They really are a major component of the game.

I hope you can find an opponent for FTF, as I'm sure you'll enjoy the game that much more. I'd challenge you myself but, unfortunately, Liverpool is a bit outside my normal "gaming radius"...

We've had a bit of a delay in continuing our Campaign Game due to summer vacations, conflicting schedules, etc., but should be getting together for another session within the next week or so.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhorse Simulation's ACTS is an online website that handles the dice, tactical cards and text messages all tracked in a searchable numbered journal. Go to "Custom Modules" and you'll see one for 1776.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.