Subject: Spending Trophies. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When trophies--monster or gate--are spent, are they removed from the game entirely? Believe the answer is "yes" but not certain.

This forum has been very helpful; it's unlikely I would have ever moved flying monsters correctly (when their sign comes up) without it even though I've read the manual and most of the guides/flowcharts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are returned to the Gate Pile or Monster Cup. Be careful what you spend in monsters - they may return to haunt you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And of course, two minutes later I find my answer. From the Headless Hollow guide: "When spent return monster trophies to the cup and return gate trophies to the bottom of the gate pile." If this is the case, how could one run out of gate markers? Perhaps from some situation I haven't encountered yet.

EDIT: Thanks for the quick reply ColtsFan; you truly are the AH Rules Master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
If this is the case, how could one run out of gate markers?

Most likely, you will never run out of Gate Markers. It was put in there, along with monsters, so someone didn't hoard them all an apparent loophole people must have taken advantage of at some point: if you held all the monsters, then you wouldn't have any to fight; same with Gates I guess. So they made these two situations game enders (well, actually it just sends you to the final battle) when the 2nd edition rules came out.

There really is no reason to hoard gates unless you are trying to maximize your score or if you are trying for the "close all gates" method to win or as a safety net if your GOO eats them in the final battle. If you get close to running out, just spend them, as you surmised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Most likely, you will never run out of Gate Markers.

It was conceivable that you could when it was just the base game. If you were playing Azathoth and used three Elder Signs, you could have thirteen doom tokens on the track, one gate on the board, fifteen trophies held and still not have won the game.

(It's still theoretically possible to do it, but you'd need to use five Elder Signs and defeat all four AOs in OWEs - Marie Lambeau easing the requirements by one, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
we once had a game where we had to desperately spend some gate markers ASAP to avoid running out. so yes, it is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's more just that I blow through gate trophies like nothing. If I could take some out on credit at the beginning of the game, I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just one quick follow-up question while I'm her: Do you have encounters at sealed locations or at locations with open gates? For example, I fail to close a gate so it is still open next turn--is there any encounter? And after I seal it do I have an encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an explored marker under you, then you do not have an encounter at an open gate. If you do not have an explored marker at an open gate, you get sucked through.

You still have encounters at locations that are sealed. Just remember, though, that monsters and gates do not appear at sealed locations. So if an encounter tells you that a gate and/or monster appears, you don't place a gate or monster. A fight with a monster is ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Qu'n:
in the locations where you can spend trophies. Do you allow for multiple activations .. or is each a separate encounter.

methinks the latter.
(eg: spend 1 gate trophy and gain $5 ... you can't spend 3 of your gate trophies and gain $15 on that single turn's encounter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each is a separate encounter, even if you have enough to do it multiple times. So you could only bless on eperson per turn if you go to South Church. If you had multiple sets, you would have to do that over multiple turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.