Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I need good news, of late, and spreading it makes me feel like there's something positive happening in the world, and I'm a part of it.

CNN wrote:
An estimated 125,000 Western lowland gorillas are living in a swamp in equatorial Africa, researchers reported Tuesday, double the number of the endangered primates thought to survive worldwide.
Researchers have revealed the discovery of 125,000 Western lowland gorillas in northern Congo.

Researchers have revealed the discovery of 125,000 Western lowland gorillas in northern Congo.

"It's pretty astonishing," Hugo Rainey, one of the researchers who conducted the survey for the U.S.-based Wildlife Conservation Society, told CNN Tuesday.

The last census on the species, carried out during the 1980s, estimated that there were only 100,000 of the gorillas left worldwide. Since then, the researchers estimated, the numbers had been cut in half.

"This is the highest-known density of gorillas that's ever been found," Rainey said.

Western lowland gorillas are listed as critically endangered, the highest threat category for a species. Their populations are declining rapidly because of hunting and diseases like Ebola hemorrhagic fever, whose symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and internal and external bleeding.

While the discovery in northern Congo indicates that the gorilla population remains stable in some areas, it is likely that gorillas will remain critically endangered because the threats facing the species are so great, Rainey said.

Full Article

So, it's still an uncertain future; for an animal being decimated by disease, a tight grouping like they've got going on isn't optimal. But as a lover of (non-human) primates, this makes me feel happy for the nonce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuts. I was hoping they would be able to identify your shirt.

But I am very happy to hear about the gorillas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.