James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who have played the game, when you play it and are performing actions with your activated unit, do you wait for your opponent to say "pass" or otherwise motion that they won't react, or do you just pause for a couple seconds and if there's no reaction, move onto your next action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd move really fast before he had an opportunity to do anything. If he complains, I say, "Aaargh, ye done missed yer opp-ur-tun-ity, matey." arrrh If he complains further, I give him the black spot and tell him he's "De-posed."

That should take care of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While your suggestion certainly has its appeal, I don't think I'd get to play this game very often with that strategy.

Thanks though! And if you ever want to play... um... don't come around here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
I'd move really fast before he had an opportunity to do anything. If he complains, I say, "Aaargh, ye done missed yer opp-ur-tun-ity, matey." arrrh If he complains further, I give him the black spot and tell him he's "De-posed."

That should take care of it.

Theoretical interest of the question = educational value of the answer.

Such beautiful symmetry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... or do you just pause for a couple seconds and if there's no reaction, move onto your next action?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At Origins, Uwe indicated that the playtesters had a "3 second" rule for reaction. This seems a bit too fast, but in a demo game I played there, the 2 guys on the opposing side knew each other and, unfortunately, it practically turned into a debate society with a lot of these reaction opportunities, and really sucked the fun out of that demo game. You should obviously come to some happy medium to avoid that, due to the vast number of reaaction opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I know that I'm in a position where it would be beneficial for my opponent to react against me and they're new to the game (like we all are right now). I'll end every action with an interrogative "Reaction?".

If the other person I'm playing doesn't pause when they're the active player, and just decrements his AP by 7 and moves his unit by 7, I just politely point to the hex where I would have begun taking my reactions and tell him to 'hold there a second'. I only have to do that once or twice, then they pick up real quick. I understand it's hard to let go of the IGO UGO mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One one the beauty of this game is the "Reaction" . But , to stimulate war-like decisions I'll play this way. (dont have the game yet)
I wont say "Reaction?" or will wait 3,5 seconds to see if my opponent will react...

See, the reaction is part of the game.Its well detailed in the rules book. I dont remind my opponent he can do an Armour overrun in Memoir 44. If he forgets , his problem...if he forgets to taking ground with his infantry, I wont care...
Of course, when teaching the game to newbies Im always remembering them of this rules so they can learn and not forget .

In war, focused mind is one attribute of the great commanders and I think CoH system stimulates that.

My opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your thoughts! I feel I have a better idea of how to handle this when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyfoo wrote:
If I know that I'm in a position where it would be beneficial for my opponent to react against me and they're new to the game (like we all are right now). I'll end every action with an interrogative "Reaction?".

If the other person I'm playing doesn't pause when they're the active player, and just decrements his AP by 7 and moves his unit by 7, I just politely point to the hex where I would have begun taking my reactions and tell him to 'hold there a second'. I only have to do that once or twice, then they pick up real quick. I understand it's hard to let go of the IGO UGO mentality.

Exactly. In fact, this really puts the onus on the active player. If he just moves his unit without taking into account a potential reaction, the reacting unit can back him up into the most favorable hex to react against. The other issue, I think, is not letting the reacting player micromanage the game. In the demo game I mentioned in my earlier post, the guys stopped me in a hex and wanted to react, but then could not decide if they wanted to do an opportunity reaction, a CP reaction, or a card reaction. When you're playing a demo game and just learning the rules with other newbies, you want to give them time; however, giving a player TOO much time really eliminates the "command control" issue of either reacting (or not) and could lend itself to micromanaging the reaction situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just ask before I started a game, just to make sure we had the same expectation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing against the usual crowd, I just pause for a short moment after declaring my action and moving my unit(s). If I get no reaction, I move on.

Playing against a newbie, I would verbally check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an interesting point, and is bound to become an issue when CoH is used in tournament play. Not that I would consider it for friendly games, I envisage a variation of the ‘Chess Clock’ that gives the non acting player a few seconds to decide to react then switches back to the acting player, if he wants to react he hits the button and stops the clock which now times the reaction....
Cumulative times are then considered along with victory points to determine the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny - actually... whether you call it "reaction", "opportunity fire", "defensive fire", whatever -- this was never ever a controversial subject and seems to be more of a theoretical matter then a practical.

With a little practice you know when its time to slow down to give the opponent enough time to interrupt -- and moving back now and then when the reaction has little delay is also no showstopper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the point...
The Blitzkrieg way of play....hehe

Of course, when learning and teaching the game you'll stop to give you noob opponent the chance to understand the concept of the reaction, what this implies, the many possibilities , etc , etc...

But, when I'm facing my brother-in-law , no mercy !!!

The player, as a real commander , should be able to preview the opponent's next steps and be ready to respond any actions promptly .

Like the Emperor, you must foresee the future . So, when you opponent attacks you with those T34 in spearhead formation you will shout in his face : "Everything is going as I planned " ahauahaauahauaahaauahaaua.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that this basically isn't an issue. I have a few AP friends that I have been worried would try to stop the game after every action so they could sit and think about possible reactions... it's good to hear that few people if anyone are having these kind of issues though... this sounds like a game best played by the seat of your pants, rather than taking huge amounts of time to sort out every little move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.