Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: What cards do you use for how many players???? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Dore
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Help!!! Is it just me? I can't even begin to get into the rules. I'm totally confused right from the start by which occupation cards to use depending on the number of players. All three examples apply to five players or for that matter 4 players (1-5,3-5 and 4-5). What is this supposed to mean. Then it says with 4-5 players use the whole deck. If that's the case why then have a choice with 4+ on it if with 4 or 5 you are supposed to use the whole deck?? Can any one straighten this out for me? I just don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 5 players, then you can play with cards that show: 1+, 3+, 4+ and 5+.

If you have 4 players, then you can play with cards that show: 1+, 3+, 4+, but not 5+.

If you have 3 players, then you can play with cards that show: 1+ or 3+.

For 1 or 2 players, you can only play with cards that show 1+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Dore
United States
New York
flag msg tools
There are no 5+ cards... only 1+, 3+ and 4+. Your comment helped though. The cards would be better designed and clearer if the three types were: (1 and 2); (3); and (4 and 5) with each successive group including the groups below it. In this way a 4 or 5 player game includes all the cards; or a 3 player game includes with it just the (1 and 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennisdore wrote:
There are no 5+ cards... only 1+, 3+ and 4+. Your comment helped though. The cards would be better designed and clearer if the three types were: (1 and 2); (3); and (4 and 5) with each successive group including the groups below it. In this way a 4 or 5 player game includes all the cards; or a 3 player game includes with it just the (1 and 2).

Wow, that's amazingly confusing compared to the really simple method currently used.

Consider a three player game under the current system. You have a card that says "1+". Do you have 1 or more players? Yes. So you use it. You have another card that says "3+". Do you have 3 or more players? Yes. So you use it. You have another card that says "4+". Do you have 4 or more players? No. So you don't use it. How difficult can that be?

David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle the entire deck.
Everyone draws their cards and checks - any that have too high a number are immediately discarded and replaced. Repeat until all the 'too high numbers' are pulled from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis, I feel your pain having just read the rule booklet. While I wasn't confused by which cards where used based upon the number of players, I do agree they are poorly labeled.

Whoever wrote/translated those rules did an awful job. Aside from being needlessly confusing, there are blaring typos all over. It feels as if the rules were writen for someone familiar with the game, because having never played it, I had a pickle of a time making sense of what all the playmats were for and a dozen other "basic" concepts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poorly labelled? I really can't understand that! If the card says "N+", then that card is for "N+" players! How could it be any more succinct?

I suppose it could have said "or more" instead of "+", but really - what a waste of space that would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varholak
Slovakia
Pezinok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
Poorly labelled? I really can't understand that! If the card says "N+", then that card is for "N+" players! How could it be any more succinct?

I suppose it could have said "or more" instead of "+", but really - what a waste of space that would be!

Strongly agree with this. It is quite fair marked and understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've just started with the game, and you're learning from the rulebook, I'd recommend ignoring the Occupation and Minor Improvement cards and just play the Family Game. Worry about the extra cards later, once you're familiar with all the actions and the flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eimative wrote:
Dennis, I feel your pain having just read the rule booklet.

Reading the rules when they were first translated, I was pretty confused as well. Now that I have my game, it all makes sense. Not seeing what 300 cards look like or all the spaces on the boards, it doesn't make sense. But you read a paragraph, find the corresponding game piece, and it all falls into place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you've just started with the game, and you're learning from the rulebook, I'd recommend ignoring the Occupation and Minor Improvement cards and just play the Family Game. Worry about the extra cards later, once you're familiar with all the actions and the flow of the game.

I agree with this. I got my copy yesterday and so far have only played solo games (taking it to my gaming group on Thursday!), but I started with the Family Game option, and it made it way easier to get into the option with Minor Improvements and Occupations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I just got this yesterday. I sat down and read the rulebook first and found it confusing. I then sat down and played through a solo game, looking up the rules as I went. The rules go down a lot easier when you're playing as opposed to just reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do I open the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
badfish20 wrote:
How do I open the box?

Try a chainsaw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.