Popular Tags: [View All]
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a geekmail request to explain the stats on the base of the Mega Terra Khan figure picture that I uploaded last week. Here goes:

Looking at the figure from above and behind, I see there are four information fields.

On the front is the figure’s name: Mega Terra Khan

Continuing clockwise, on the right, are four icons. These show Mega Terra Khan’s Abilities. The top icon is a Brawl Trigger (Chain Attack -- this means Mega Terra Khan can make a Power Attack if he hits an enemy with a Brawl Attack); below that are four skills: Charge (bonus die when moving into contact), something with three dots that I can’t recall right now, and Terrify (small units cannot advance next to this figure).

The bottom shows four more icons: Hyper (4), “Terrasaur” Faction, “Radicals” Agenda, and “Nature” Energy Type. Hyper (4) means it will cost me four power dice to replace the basic Alpha version of Terra Khan with this Hyper form. The Factions and Agendas help me decide which other figures can (or should) be on the same side as Terra Khan. The “Nature” Energy Type describes Terra Khan’s physiology (certain game effects may have a greater or less impact on a figure depending on its Energy Type).

The left side of the figure is where the action is -- these are the Stat icons you reference all the time when playing the game. From top to bottom, they show, Speed (8), Defense (5), Brawl (9, 2 stars), Blast (6, 1 star, short range), Power (8, 3 stars), Health (6). Brawl, Blast, and Power show how many dice I roll when making those kinds of attacks. Stars show how many bonus “boost dice” I also roll when using that Stat. Speed is the number of spaces I can move. Defense is the number of strikes I have to suffer on a single attack before suffering a hit against my Health.

Considering his Brawl Trigger and big Brawl dice, it looks like Mega Terra Khan will want to close range and take on bad guys hand-to-hand (fang-to-claw?); if he hits, then he can follow up with his devastating Power Attack. The Terrify skill will keep the little guys from easily ganging up against him with lots of little brawl attacks. The Terrasaur Faction means Mega Terra Khan will most often be fielded with other big rampaging dinosaurs, while his Radicals Agenda makes him a friend to both Fiends and Protectors (Lords of Cthul and G.U.A.R.D.).

NOT specified on the base are the dinosaur sounds I will make when making my attack rolls, or the “Duh-Duh-DUHHHHH!” fanfare I will sing out when putting Mega Terra Khan on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pattison
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you field a mega version at the beginning of a game instead of the normal version?

Thanks for the write-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three types of monsters here -- Alpha (normal), Hyper (an upgraded normal monster), and Mega (which are identical to Hypers, but have unique figures). At least, I think that's how it goes.

I'm pretty sure you have to begin the game in your Alpha form, and can enter Mega only after paying dice to do so ...

I expect Privateer will post their rulebook soon and we can dig these things out for ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall PP saying that Megas and Ultras are meant to be quite different from one another, but overall as powerful.

Cite: http://www.monsterinsider.net/2008/04/17/hyper-mega-vs-ultra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasuspig wrote:
I recall PP saying that Megas and Ultras are meant to be quite different from one another, but overall as powerful.

Cite: http://www.monsterinsider.net/2008/04/17/hyper-mega-vs-ultra...

Well, there you have it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a great example of this in a game the other day. I decided to use my Mega Terra Khan against my friend's Ares Mothership. Once we got down to Hyperform versus Hyperform, I was at a disadvantage since most of the bonuses for Mega Terra Khan apply to power attacks of which the Ultra Mothership is immune.

I would have been much better off with the Ultra.

So - just as powerful, but can be a strategic mistake depending on the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.