designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello out there, Kingston Falls!

I have compiled a few questions I've received while demoing the game:

1) When replenishing Gremlin, Event, and Weapon Tokens on the board, what happens if a player is in a space that is being replenished?

The space is replenished as normal (place the player's piece on top of the replenished token). The player does not automatically encounter the new token, but may choose to do so on his or her next turn.

2) When replenishing Gremlin Tokens, do we only draw from the remaining pool of face down Gremlin Tokens? Or do we also draw from face up Gremlins that have already been captured by players?

You only use the face down Gremlin Tokens. Once a Gremlin is defeated by a player, that player keeps that Gremlin Token face up on the table for the rest of the game for scoring purposes.

3) Which spaces make up the Town Square? Do they include the four "Start" spaces?

No, only the central four spaces (colored red) make up the Town Square. When a player is sent back to his or her Start Space, they are not considered to be on Town Square.

That's all for now. Please feel free to add your own questions here!

Andrew

-----------------------

Andrew Parks
Quixotic Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stone
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I have to say I was disappointed.

I forked out my $30 based on the rating here being reasonable (not bad for this type of game).

I played 3-player and the game seems seriously broken, The first player who encountered Spike failed. We put him in the theater.

As serious gamers, we had decided to play that if the Gremlins run out, we all lose. Then we realized that this was GUARANTEED to happen in just a matter of 4 or 5 turns each. There was nothing that could be done.

In the meantime, when the first guy failed to kill Spike, I happened to be in the Town Square. We saw nothing in the rules that prevented me from teleporting into the theater and killing him, even though he was face up (if the rules don't allow this, then there is no way for the players to win once Spike escapes, but if they do, there is no reason not to hoard the items that are needed to kill him, and hang out in the theater, perhaps picking off another face-up Gremlin or 2 while you wait for him to arrive.)

What are we missing??

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Matt.

Sorry for not responding to your post right away. Until BGG instituted the recent "Subscription" service, I did not receive notices when older threads were responded to (only when new threads were started). Fortunately, the new system now includes this service, which makes my life a lot easier.

Regarding Stripe:

If the first player does not defeat Stripe, then the number of Gremlin tokens remaining will be very variable, based upon how long it takes for him to be seeded onto the board. In some games, he takes a while to come out, and in others he comes out right away. The earlier he comes out, the more time players will have to defeat him. In your game, he came out pretty late, but he often appears much earlier. I would say that in our playtests, Stripe was defeated about 2 out of every 3 games.

However, if players are not seeing him come out and the Gremlin Tokens are running out, then they know they better get ready for his arrival, especially if you are playing with the Challenge Variant.

However, the Challenge Variant is just for fun. The reason why it's optional is that there are some situations (such as the one you described above) where he comes out very late in the game and there are only a handful of Gremlin tokens left. In that case, if the guy who finds Stripe can't kill him, one of the other players better have the right weapons and get to the Theater in one or two turns. Because of this variable situation, we made sure to mark this as an optional variant because Stripe's late arrival does make it very hard to defeat him.

In the normal game, if this happens it simply means Stripe survives and the players' scores are determined by the other Gremlins they've killed. That is certainly the usual way you should play as it won't end with all the players being defeated. The publisher asked us to include a way for everyone to lose the game, and so I included the Challenge Variant for kicks. But it isn't meant to be the main way that the game is played.

Now, if you do plan to use the Challenge Variant all the time, here are some tips:

1) You won't simply be able to hang out in the Movie Theater, because you have no idea when Stripe is coming. Although it's impossible for Stripe to be on the board at the start of the game (since he's not included in the original pool of seeded Gremlins), he can come out pretty quick and you may not have enough Weapon Cards to defeat him. But in that case you'll have a few turns to go grabbing Weapons. But if you do acquire the Weapons to defeat Stripe before he enters the game and decide to hang out in the Theater waiting for him, he may come out much later and the other players will rack up a lot of points. Or they may even defeat Stripe when they encounter him and you'll be left with a low score.

2) If Stripe doesn't come out early and the remaining Gremlin tokens start to dwindle, everyone should start thinking about Stripe. At that point, players should load up on weapons so that they can defeat him if he comes up. In that situation, players might want to hover closer to the Theater or the Town Square so they can encounter him quickly.

3) I think you should play the game a few times without the Challenge Variant (it's a pretty short game) so that you become accustomed to the types of situations that might occur. In this way, you'll get to see what it's like when Stripe comes out early, and you'll know when to tell that everyone better be ready when Stripe comes out (by gauging the number of Gremlin tokens that remain).

Once again, I think the game plays best without the Challenge Variant, as the purpose of Stripe's random entrance into the game is meant to keep players focused on killing the regular Gremlins without relying on Stripe's big payoff. The player who kills Stripe gets a big advantage, so we didn't want him to die every game (thus increasing the value of the regular Gremlins).

Enjoy!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katy B
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, thanks for taking the time to write up a FAQ and some more details about the variant. I am waiting for this to come in the mail and am looking forward to playing. It sounds pretty fun especially since I typically no longer buy any type of game that is based on a movie, book, or TV show due to bad experiences in the past. I have a feeling my husband and I will be playing with the variant quite frequently since we both like a good challenge and have no qualms about all players losing a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Kate. I hope you have fun, and don't forget to fire up the microwave oven when needed! devil

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.