United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

What is the best game out there with a viking/zombie/ninja/pirate theme? Not all four at once, of course (although if there is one with all four then all the better)!

It must be a strongly themed game - it can't just be a Euro with the theme pasted on top. You have to *feel* that you're controlling vikings (or zombies, or ninjas, or pirates).

On the flip side, it also has to be a good *game* - no Munchkin Ninja suggestions, please.

Many thanks!

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Heroscape gets you all of them at once, if you have the right expansion packs. Err... no pirates, I guess. Though I've heard there may be some in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hi everyone,

What is the best game out there with a viking/zombie/ninja/pirate theme? Not all four at once, of course (although if there is one with all four then all the better)!

Close

SPANC: Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls

On a more serious note here's a game I've got my eye on and will likely pick it up soon that might fit your criteria:

Okko: Era of the Asagiri

It's a 2 player tactical combat game with some interesting ideas. The theme is a fantasy feudal Japan mix that is cool looking. The comic that the game is derived from is described as a band of good guys chasing around the bad guys. Imagine X Files set in feudal Japan with demons and monsters roaming around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Well, Wizard Kings has Vikings, Zombies & Pirates, but no Ninjas. And the theme is just generic fantasy. Best I can do

Basic problem is, do you want a REAL, historical, Viking, Ninja or Pirate theme (you're unlikely to get a historical zombie theme...), or a fantasy one? And there are some wildly different fantasy versions too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Vikings aside, here's one that's got everything else!

Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot
Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot Deluxe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Well, Heroscape gets you all of them at once, if you have the right expansion packs. Err... no pirates, I guess. Though I've heard there may be some in the future.

I did not even realize there werent any pirates so far! For pirates though, you'd have to have more water tiles right? I wonder if they're releasing a terrain set with it?

Intriging...

Do you remember where you heard about the pirates? I'd love to know more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't drive all the way down here to play a peace game
United States
Ogre Kingdoms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pirates of the Spanish Main is a collectible pirate ship tabletop miniatures game. You sail constructed plastic ships (easily assembled by you from plastic parts punched out from credit card-sized cards) in a race to get randomly placed treasure from different islands on the table back to your home island, with plenty of opportunities for combat, ramming, boarding, etc. It's a simple, fun game and very pirate-y. You can probably pick up a pile of commons on ebay for a song. Or, for $10-15 or so you can buy a starter pack and a booster or two at most game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
This is the one problem that keeps Heroscape from attaining absolute greatness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petegrey wrote:
I did not even realize there werent any pirates so far! For pirates though, you'd have to have more water tiles right? I wonder if they're releasing a terrain set with it?

I'd think the problem is more that you'd need a boat of some sort. Pirates sloshing around on shore just doesn't feel right. But boats (or vehicles generally) don't really fit into Heroscape so well.

Quote:
Do you remember where you heard about the pirates? I'd love to know more

I'm sure it was somewhere in the chatter with the WotC guys at the Heroscapers.com forums. A number of people had expressed their disappointment at the lack of piratitude and Paul made some comment indicating that pirates were something they would also like to see. Like I said, I think the problem is that they're hard to fit into the system as it stands. Perhaps they could do some kind of big, fixed pirate ship terrain piece. That could be pretty sweet, though I can't see how you could make it modular like all the other terrain expansions. Or they could just make them landlubbers, but that seems pretty lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should ask... My brother-in-law and I are working on a zombies versus ninjas versus pirates (perhaps vikings) game...

Tenatively called "The Most Awesome Game Ever!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Talisman has all four. I am pressed to think which set has a viking though. I guess I should actually pop my copy and look, but I'm too lazy to do that.

Technically, a Valkyrie is a type of female viking, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, the game doesn't *have to* have all four in it (Iwould find it extremely unlikely to find a *good* game that had all four in it). I'm surprised no one has mentioned Last Night on Earth yet, though this isn't a possibility as we already have it in our gaming group. What about the likes of Fire & Axe or Viking? Are these any good? Are there better? What about pirate games?

Heroscape doesn't fit the bill I'm afraid, as it's a bit too collectible for our tastes - we want a self-contained board game.

Doesn't matter if it's real or fantasy based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Remember, the game doesn't *have to* have all four in it (Iwould find it extremely unlikely to find a *good* game that had all four in it). I'm surprised no one has mentioned Last Night on Earth yet, though this isn't a possibility as we already have it in our gaming group. What about the likes of Fire & Axe or Viking? Are these any good? Are there better? What about pirate games?

Heroscape doesn't fit the bill I'm afraid, as it's a bit too collectible for our tastes - we want a self-contained board game.

Doesn't matter if it's real or fantasy based.

Talisman IS a good game

ninja arrrh zombie robot sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're looking for a great execution of theme, Dread Pirate is the one. Cloth map, metal ships, metal doubloons, glass jewels, even a mini jolly roger, this one has got everything. However, theme is definitely it's strongest point. If you let yourself get into it, it's a lot of fun, but at its core, it is a very simple game with very simple mechanics. If you're really into it, go for the $100 version that comes in a treasure chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Fair enough. Though if it's strictly vikings/zombies/ninjas that you're interested, I'd note that those packs are all easily available right now (the vikings are in the base game, in fact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These are my favorites I have played recently... Although Ninja school isn't finished yet so might be difficult to get that one! lol.

Vikings

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Ninja School

Pieces of Eight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new GMT Blackbeard game is very good with art and feel of actually living the Pirate life. Lots of rules, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate:
Pieces of Eight, seconded. Ludicrously pretty bits, that work superlatively in reinforcing the theme.

Zombie:
HorrorClix. Collectible minis game, and zombies are only one of many horror tropes available. But it is fun, especially when you start adding in scenario-specific house rules.

Multi-genre: (not already mentioned)
Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook Fantasy football, with both viking and zombie teams available. There is one OOP ninja model, and the signature team in the recent novel series is owned by a pirate.
Warmachine An entire horror/zombie faction, as well as a separate sourcebook for pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't drive all the way down here to play a peace game
United States
Ogre Kingdoms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kdickerson_az wrote:
If you're looking for a great execution of theme, Dread Pirate is the one. Cloth map, metal ships, metal doubloons, glass jewels, even a mini jolly roger, this one has got everything. However, theme is definitely it's strongest point. If you let yourself get into it, it's a lot of fun, but at its core, it is a very simple game with very simple mechanics. If you're really into it, go for the $100 version that comes in a treasure chest.

Oh, my! I couldn't disagree more. The bits of Dread Pirate are very nice but the game itself is terrible. Be sure to try someone else's copy first before dropping a wad of cash on this turkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Well, don't know about zombies, ninjas or pirates, but for viking fun,
Fire and Axe is pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[shameless plug]

I've just given away the greatest pirate game of all time!
Maybe... well, I like it at least...

But for real:
Scallywags is a FUN pirate game, where players attempt to gain the largest take of the booty! Best of all, it's free!

Nothing deep here. I designed it to be a 15 minute filler that isn't entirely brainless, but allows players to say things like "argh, git yer blimey mits off me gold!" I think I came pretty close to my desired goal.

Chevee

[/shameless plug]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.