Subject: Memoir '44 or BattleLore or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to get either Memoir '44 or BattleLore for a while now. As fate would have it, I will soon own both blush My question: is there any point to owning both games? I only know somewhat how to play BattleLore (and know nothing about M'44), so I'm not sure of the similarities and differences. I don't know if I should keep both, or trade Memoir '44 away.

If I only own one, it'd most probably be BattleLore, because I like the fantasy theme more, the figures look better and it seems harder to find M'44 expansions. But I do like how it seems much easier to differentiate your army from your opponent's in M44.

Striking an analogy with 2 other DoW games, I own Ticket to Ride: Europe, yet still pre-ordered Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, even though it's almost TTR:E Mini. I did so because I like TTR:E only with 4-5 players, so TTR:NC will be used for 2-3 player games. Could any of you give me some comparisons, or direct me to some, so I can make an informed decision about M'44 and BattleLore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I own Memoir (all of it, just need the bag too). And I was in the possesion of Battlelore. That one I sold and I got myself Command & Colors: Ancients. That is my favourite now.

I also have Battlecry that I played so much.

I like the system really well but Battlelore just didnt do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Zikeš
Czech Republic
Kremze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to decision is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/256059
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pert wrote:

Yes, you should indeed watch the story behind that link.

Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no doubt in my mind - BattleCry and Memoir '44 wins big times over Battlelore!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Memoir but I own all of them. The games all play differenlty with Battle Cry and Memoir most closely related while Ancients and BattleLore are more closely related in different ways.

But what it comes down to is what you like. if fantasy is your preferred theme, then go for BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both. I really enjoy Commands and Colors, Memoir '44 AND BattleLore. I play them all about evenly. They scratch different itches, certainly. C&C has a wide variety of troop variations, BL has the races and the fantasy elements and a little less complexity to the basic troops. M44 has history and a wide variety of scenarios, locales and terrain elements. BattleCry is what got me started on the entire system, but I now play it the least, as it probably holds the least personal interest for me.
If you get both, I think you'll enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pert wrote:

Ooh thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Didn't think to search in the Reviews section. Mmm I'm torn now. It looks like I'll prefer M'44, but my M'44 is brand new and shrinkwrapped whereas BattleLore isn't. Oh well...I think I'll keep both. The differences look tangible enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Spellman
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the new proud owner of Battle Cry, Memoir AND C&C Ancients. I have had NO Desire to buy BattleLore. And I am a fantasy nut when it comes to books and movies but apparently not C&C engine games...

At this point keep both but get Ancients and see what BL could have been.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Battlelore and C&C:A and preferred Battlelore, so go figure. I think the games are similar enough in mechanic that components and theme are the best deciding factors.

As far as M'44 and Battlelore goes, the component quality is pretty much the same either way, so it's really just up to theme. I picked Battlelore because there are more people I know that would go for a fantasy theme than a WWII theme and I'm happy with my decision.

One other note is that from what I've played and read, C&C:A and Battlelore are much more "simulation" - i.e., you really do get the feel of playing out real battles, be they either ancient or medieval. With Memoir '44, many players say that it feels very gamey and not like a simulation of real WWII battles in the least. That may or may not be a deciding factor for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go and read that threat in a minute or two, but...

Having played both a number of times, I'm an M44 fan. But only because the WW2 theme does it for me more than the fantasy thing.

When something comes out of the sky and smacks a whole load of your troops, it doesn't matter whether its a Spitfire on a strafing run or a Red Dragon ridden by a Hill Giant, the result is pretty much the same.

If fantasy is more your bag than WW2, go for Battlelore...

Now, I'll go and read that thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.