• [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheaper to import from spieleoffensive.de

and while you are at it. You might want to order . Hey that's my fish.

http://www.spiele-offensive.de/index.php?cmd=sonderangebote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
cheaper to import from spieleoffensive.de

and while you are at it. You might want to order . Hey that's my fish.

http://www.spiele-offensive.de/index.php?cmd=sonderangebote

The game itself is only 9.90 Euros on spieleoffensive.de, it is true. However, unless my german is letting me down, the suggested delivery cost to the UK is listed as 16 Euros. Which makes a total of 25.90 Euros, or 20 pounds - which is probably about the same if you included local posting into Shire Games price.

However, the version on sale from spieleoffensive.de is the german language version, and while the game components are language independent, things like the rules and summary cards are nice to have in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was 3 Euros when Kris posted. And if you combined the order with Conquest of The Empire, Bison and a few other of the amazing discounts they have then the 16 Euro postage is still worth paying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but if you order 50 quids worth of games from Shire, you get them postage free (in the UK).

I see it this way. Anybody who has ever ordered games from Germany (and that includes me) knows that prices there are generally cheaper than the UK. Some people are happy to take advantage of this, some people would prefer not to - either due to a preference for an English language version of the game, delivery costs, or simply fear of trying to navigate a foreign-language website. Or, god forbid, even a desire to support UK dealers.

For those people who prefer to order from UK stores, 15 quid for a game like this *is* a hot deal. It is worthy of note. That it can be purchased cheaper in Germany is not particularly worthy of note - most of us already know that.

Perhaps I'm being tetchy. But we see few enough decent "Hot Deals" for the UK, without them being rebutted (as the last 3 UK "deals" I've seen) with "it's cheaper to buy from Germany". Perhaps it is, if you want to put in a bulk order, and don't mind the German language version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially posted after purchasing the game from Shire ( +another games 3 to get over the £50). I then purchased another 4 games at spiel at an all in price less than half what i would have paid in the UK - too good to miss and my first purchase from outside the UK. Like you i believe in supporting UK stores (FLGS and online) and would only purchase from abroad when the economics are just too compelling. I agree we that see very few hot deals in the UK and shire are offering quite a few games at a generous discount to UK RRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
Perhaps I'm being tetchy. But we see few enough decent "Hot Deals" for the UK, without them being rebutted (as the last 3 UK "deals" I've seen) with "it's cheaper to buy from Germany". Perhaps it is, if you want to put in a bulk order, and don't mind the German language version.

You may be tetchy, I definitely am.

It amazes me how many people are prepared to send others on a guilt-trip for not buying local when the prices they can get abroad are so much better.

While I agree it is a good offer from Shire Games, I disagree that somebody piping up with alternative, cheaper options is doing any harm.

Perhaps at this point I should start moaning about people putting up details of an offer like this at all, considering I paid full price for an English copy of the same game?

And all this talk about "supporting" British retailers - how very noble it would be if we all waited and waited until all their stock dropped a tenner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.