Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Diamond
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and a friend have been playing war games for about three years and we are looking for a somewhat larger game to take a shot at. The OCS system seems to get great reviews so we thought we would try one of these games. Case Blue looks too large for us to tackle right off, so I'm looking for suggestions on one of the other OCS games to start with. Any help?

We can normally leave a game set up for a few weeks, but have only the dining room table to play on.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wargaming for about 3 years myself and got into OCS about a year ago. It's easily my favorite system.

Most people will tell you to start with Tunisia for a number or reasons. Most notably, it has a small initial number of units and not too many game specific rules. The only disadvantage is the complexity of the terrain. It can be a little much to take in when you're already trying to get your head around your trace supply network, your combat supply network, your air network, the flow of your reinforecements, etc.

The other disadvantage is it's an older title in the series so it's missing a few minor features: non-rebuildable units, a copy of the latest rules, and a few other things. However, as with all the older OCS titles (except EatG and GBI), it plays perfectly well with the 4.0 rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These geeklists provide an excellent overview of the series, although Chris' could use a little updating:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1549
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19786

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Tunisia is a logical starting place. However case blue also has very few special rules. The first scenario is also a good learning scenario. However unlike Tunisia and Dak2 it doesn't have many smaller scenarios other than that. Dak2 has lots of small scenarios, but it does have more game specific rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo the thoughts on Tunisia. It was our first introduction to OCS, and it worked very well for us. (Our report is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/296197.)

Another point to consider is that Tunisia is still readily available and at reasonable cost. On the chance that you may not like it (and there are some who positively hate OCS) I don't think investing too heavily straight off (i.e. Case Blue or DAK2) is a good idea, just in case. Having said that, I give big thumbs up to both games, although Sicily is perhaps my current favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Race for Tunis a few weeks ago and got ROLLED by the Allies. Wow.

Lovely system though. Felt like I was fighting the real war!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Diamond
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the comments. Looks like Tunisia is the clear favorite. I'll go get a copy.!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Tunisia is the best place to start. The "Race for Tunis" scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Supply is the critical issue in OCS. You spend more time worry about supply than about how you are going to attack (if you had supply, attacking would be no problem!)

Since there's so little supply in Tunisia, you can think about small numbers of supply points, and this will help you focus as you learn the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.