Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discovered Memoir 44 and have played it a couple of times a week for about a month now. I can easily see myself playing 10 more rounds of it (and then who knows - but right now it sure is fun!). Whether or not it remains a favorite, I'd like to try a heavier two-player game of the same style. I hesitate to say "wargame," since that seems to mean "4+ hours" in a lot of cases, but I am looking to up the ante a bit. I frequently play medium to heavy Euros (PR, Power Grid, Princes of Florence, Goa, etc. etc.) so I can handle games of similar weight. A playtime of 2 hours or less would be nice, though, since I typically play Memoir double-headers with the same friend. I'm considering:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage

I'm curious about Twilight Struggle but it looks quite long..., and I might want to skip over 1960 since it's supposed to be very similar but has a much less interesting theme to me than TS. I'm not interested in Battle Lore. Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts:

Commands & Colors: Ancients
Combat Commander: Europe
Manoeuvre
Hammer of the Scots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the mechanics of Memoir, then it's a no-brainer to step up to Commands & Colors: Ancients.

Personally, the next step up for me was Combat Commander: Europe. It may not have all the pretty plastic bits, but it's also a card-driven wargame, with greater depth (opportunity fire, melee, fire groups, all that jazz), and games typically run from 90 mins to 180 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Tide of Iron" scratches my itch. Although a back scratcher is much cheaper it's not quite as much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on whether you want more of the same or something different.

C&C:A is great and the next step up from M'44. CC:E is a great game that uses a card driven wargame that is fast and unpredictable. Hammer of the Scots is another good game as is Rommel in the Desert. If you want to try chits / counters try Corp Commander Tottensontag. Freidrich is also a very good game. I like Napoleon's Triumph but the system takes a bit of getting used to - it does look fantastic though and is fast play (3 hours max usually). If you get a chance Twilight Struggle is anotehr great game - it isn't too long - the game is too short!! So many games so little time.....

Do a bit of research and see what you like. The world is your oyster.

Welcome to the hobby!

(edited due to poor spelling and more ideas!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.