BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Testing Forum

Subject: Test rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
flag msg tools
I have found the Chinese boardgame scene to be active and growing quickly. I thought gamers in China and planning visits might appreciate a summary.

I welcome corrections, additions, or comments. However, if you'd like to make non-gaming-related comments about China, please do so in a different thread.

Chinese-Language Information:

There is a wealth of Chinese language information on boardgames on the Internet, including rules translations and information about get-togethers. Check the following websites: (a website of a Beijing gaming group that includes rules translations and other game discussions) (a website that covers many gaming groups throughout China and also includes rules translations, discussions, photos, and videos) Do not confuse this site with, which came first but is not so active anymore. (a Chinese language website that includes rules translations and game descriptions) (a Chinese language website with many discussions, including rules translations)

I read Chinese too slowly to follow Chinese blogs well, but this link leads to a thread with web addresses of some boardgame bloggers:

[u]Places to Game in Mainland China/u]:

In Mainland China, I am aware of gaming groups, gaming cafes, or individual gamers in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Changchun, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Harbin, Hefei, Leshan, Liuzhou, Nanjing, Ningbo, Shenyang, Tianjin, Wenzhou, Wuhan, and Zhengzhou. I’m sure there are others as well.

These groups are all Chinese-speaking, but most urban Chinese speak some English. I’m sure a foreigner would be greeted warmly and be able to find a game, though it would be a good idea to get in touch with one of the organizers in advance. Generally speaking, you do not need to bring your own games. The two groups in Beijing, at least, have large libraries of games.

Beijing: Beijing Boardgame and Wargame Club (, meets at a teahouse in Chaoyang district every Saturday. This link has the address and a small map:
Hours: Saturday 1:00 p.m. until evening.
Some photos:

Beijing: BGC (, meets at a coffeehouse in the Xizhimen district. This link leads to a map, the address, and some photos of a recent session: From the discussion and photos on the website it seems more oriented toward lighter euros.
Hours: Sunday 1:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.

Beijing: In early July, an Internet post announced a new the opening of the Beijing Boge Meipu Boardgame Society, Directions: exit the Huilongguan Subway Station (on line 13) and proceed west over the bridge about 200 meters. Chinese: 回龙观城铁下来往西(桥上)200米. Here's a small map: According to the website, this place has almost a hundred games.
Hours: Monday closed. Tue-Fri 3:00 p.m.-Midnight; Weekends 1:00 p.m.-Midnight
Telephone: 010 5129-9018, 136 0130-0247, 133 3102-8987

Shanghai: Shanghai is exploding with new boardgame cafes. This forum has general information about gaming events in Shanghai:

Shanghai: FunBox 365 Boardgame Club, 2299 West Yan’an Street (ShanghaiMart) 8B55. (Chinese: 方盒子365 桌游聚乐部, 上海市延安西路2299 号世贸商城8B55) This place has moved! The new address is 982 Changning Road #6C (#2 subway line, Zhongshan Park Station, #3 Exit). Chinese: 长宁路982号6-C座(地铁2号线:中山公园站3号出口)
Hours: M-F 1:00 p.m.-9:30 p.m. (door closes at 8:00 p.m.), Weekend 11:00 a.m.-10:30 p.m. (door closes at 8:00 p.m.)
Telephone: (021)6236-2616.
Fax: (021)5273-4485

Shanghai: Joyclub, 2559 East Renmin Road, Jinjiaonanhui District, (Fox Hopsca Brand Village Outer Street -- next to Esprit). Chinese: 近郊南汇区人民东路2559号(富客斯豪布斯卡名品村外街). Map:
Hours: Not specified
Telephone: 021-38258378, 137 0173-8407

Shanghai: Unicolor Cafe: Basement Food Court, Tomson Financial Building, 710 Dongfang Road, Pudong, Shanghai. Chinese: 上海市浦东新区东方路710号汤臣金融大厦地下一层美食广场(张杨路口)
This is a new place that has been having regular get togethers on the weekends since late June 2008. There are only a handful of games but the owner is very welcoming and, according to one post, the waitresses are "cute"! I have no more information about this place.

Shanghai: F&F Boardgame Café, 506 Guoding Road, Yangpu District. Chinese: 杨浦区国定路506号
No hours listed.
Telephone: (8621) 5566-0135, (86) 136 1188-1937. Over 100 games available.
Website: (This site lists a new website that does not seem populated yet: This website also has information:

Shanghai: “Orange Fortress” Club, 125 Nanchang Rd. 2nd Floor, Room 108. Chinese: 橙堡俱乐部, 南昌路125号2号楼108室 Moved! 180 South Yunnan Road (near Huaihai Road) Luwan District. Chinese: 卢湾区云南南路180号(近淮海路). (A recent Chinese poster writes "this place is not easy to find ...") Map:
Hours: Not specified.
Telephone: (8621) 6473-3485.

Shanghai: Minhang Boardgame Group, Ming Xiang Yuan, Tiancheng Plaza (close to the intersection of West Gumei Rd and Gufang Rd) (I am not sure of the Chinese characters for this one). This club has Carcassonne and expansions, Modern Art, Bang!, Settlers of Catan and expansions, OUAT, Tantrix, Citadels, and Lost Cities.
Hours: Saturdays only, 1-5 p.m.
E-mail: Please replace # with @.

Changchun: This website describes several gaming get-togethers in Changchun where participants played Saboteur, Pandemic, Niagara, and other games: I don't see an address lsited but you could post to the above thread or to

Changsha: You could try posting to this thread to get in touch with some Changsha gamers:

Chengdu: "Gamesource" operates two boardgame venues in Chengdu. Both addresses are shown at this link
Shuangnan Store: 92 West Second Ring Road Section #34-35 (next to the Shuangnan Everyone Happy Jinhan Roast Meat). (Chinese: 双楠店:二环路西一段92号附35号(双楠人人乐金汉斯烤肉旁)
Hours:M-F 1:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m., Weekends and holidays 10:00 a.m.-Midnight
Phone: 156 0808-8081

Jianshe Store: 26 Jianshe Road, 5th Dadao, Shangya Pedestrian Street, Building One, Third Floor, #7 (Next to the Chenghua District Second People's Hospital; above Pure Clothing). Chinese: 建设路26号第五大道商业步行街1栋三楼7号 (成华区第二人民医院旁;以纯服饰楼上.
Hours: 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.; Weekends and Holidays: 10:00 a.m.-Midnight.
Telephone: (869501) 3477-1108

Chengdu: Houhuayuan Gamestore, Gaosheng Bridge, Roman Holiday Plaza (Luoma Jiari Guangchang), 2nd Floor, B3-233 (across from Kentucky Fried Chicken). Chinese: 高升桥罗马假日广场2楼B3-233(好又多肯德基对面)
Hours: Every day 2:00 p.m. - 12:00 midnight.

Guangzhou: JK Club, 197 Dadao Middle Street (Suntec Plaza), North Tower, 27th Floor. Chinese: 广州骏凯杀人俱乐部, 广州大道中197号新达城广场北塔27楼 This place seems primarily dedicated to a game called “Killer,” which, from my very superficial reading of the Chinese rules, looks like a hybrid of Werewolf and that assassin game that used to be popular on college campuses. I also infer from the website that it’s a very young crowd with a very social atmosphere. However, the club says it offers Bang!, Mamma Mia, Frank’s Zoo, Settler’s of Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and other boardgames.
Hours: M-F 6:00 p.m. till late; Weekends 2:00 p.m. till late
Telephone: (8620) 3759-8740/3759-8741, (86)1382-2280123

Guangzhou: SV Survivors, Cops, and Robber -Themed Game Club (I am sure I am missing something in that translation), Guangzhou University City, 368 West Outer Ring Road, North Pavilion Mall, 3rd Floor, FA301A. Chinese: SV生还者 警匪游戏主题俱乐部, 广州大学城外环西路368号北亭广场三楼FA301A 3楼 This one also seems to concentrate on “Killer” and to have a large social element, but also offers Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, etc.
Hours: Unknown.
Telephone: (8620) 2868-6166.

Guangzhou: According to one post, there is an unnamed boardgame venue with 60-70 games at #17 Zhanjia Street (off Fazheng Road, next to the City Party Comittee building) Chinese: 广州市法政路湛家大街17号(市委旁边).
Hours: Unknown.
Telephone: Unknown.

Hangzhou: If you travel to Hangzhou you could post to this thread to find some gaming:

Hangzhou: Lost Club, 202 Xueyuan Street; 2nd Floor. Chinese: Lost 益智文化沙龙, 学院路202号 This looks like another social Club playing “Killer” but the description says Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Bang, Modern Art, and other games are available.
Hours: Unknown
Telephone: (0571)-81832292/88219177, (86) 1373-8051509

Hangzhou: BG Bar, 498 West Xi Road, Qingfeng Apartments West Building #303 (Zhejiang University Yuquan School District North Gate). Chinese:, 报告吧, 西溪路498号庆丰公寓西栋303(浙江大学玉泉校区北门)
This place is described as Hangzhou's leading boardgame cafe.
Hours: Daily Noon-Midnight
Telephone: (0571) 8512-1593

Hangzhou: BG Bar City Academy Branch, East Zhoushan Road, Jiushiliu Mutou #23 (At the last station of the Y8 line in the vicinity of City Academy). Chinese: 报告吧城市学院店 舟山东路九十六亩头23号(Y8终点站下城市学院附近).
Hours: M-F 12:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m. Weekends 12:30 p.m.-Midnight
Telephone: 137 3229-8242, 136 7585-1454

Hangzhou: Endless Joy, 417 Gudun Road (at the corner of Wenyi Road). Chinese: 棋乐无穷 古墩路417号,文一西路古墩路口
"Hangzhou's second boardgame club."
Hours: Not specified.
Telephone: 135 7576-2446
Website: (Didn't work for me -- perhaps you'll have better luck)

Hangzhou: Shuangniu Daxia (Two Cows Building), corner of Jianguo Road Street and Fengqi Road in the city center. Chinese: 建国路凤起路口的双牛大厦 According to the directions, you go through a videogame room to a “relaxation bar” on the third floor, which has a small but comfortable space for gaming.

Harbin: A gamer going by the name "KevinSun 1985" has recently (late July 2008) expressed an interest in forming a boardgame group in Harbin. Post to this thread: or call him at 5734-6254.

Hefei: (I don't understand the Chinese address but here it is in characters: 八中对面月光宝盒;在科大附近还有一个牌店).
Hours: Friday evenings, Saturday & Sunday afternoons.
Phone: Ma Qilin (马启麟) 138 6616-6024

Leshan (Sichuan Province): A gamer with the user name "Ign 007123" has put out a call for gamers.
Phone number: 136 9838-4098

Liuzhou (Guangxi Province): In May, a Liuzhou gamer put out a plaintive call for fellow gamers. Try posting to this thread to get in touch:

Nanjing: This thread announced the imminent opening of a Boardgame store in Nanjing: Stay tuned.

Ningbo: Hangzhou's "BG Bar" has a branch in Ningbo, which is the home of the "Ningbo Boardgame Alliance." 574 Shuguang Road. Chinese: 曙光路574号.
Hours: M-F 12:30 p.m.-11:30 p.m. but call ahead if you plan on coming in the afternoon. Weekends: 12:30 p.m.-Midnight
Telephone: 134 8607-6683, 137 3211-1067, 137 5816-3625

Ningbo: Wenzhou's "ToPlayClub" has also opened a branch in Ningbo on East Zhongshan Road. Here is a map and some photos: [url] [/url]

Shenyang: As of late June a Shenyang gaming group had been gathering at the Zhongjie Yuanyuanyuan Bubble Tea House (near the Guanglu movie theatre). I would suggest you first post here to get the latest details: The group also has a blog:
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.