Popular Tags: [View All]
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I come home from work today to a surprise on the dining room table. A copy of Ticket to Ride that my wife got from our local thrift store, for 4.95! No box wear, complete, looks great! I haven't ever played before; our pastor's family came over for a game night, and while my kids played it and liked it, I spent time with a different game (Carc, IIRC).

So of course the kids are begging me to play! "After dinner, ok"

I peruse the rules. Hey this looks really simple!

So we start out. I play black, and keep two of my Destination Tickets. One is from Portland to LA, and the next is from LA to Miami (for 20 points! I go for the big risk, taking the crush of defeat as a distant possibility)

We played a three-player game, me, my daughter (9) and son (7). Mom will probably play next time, we hope. We make a bunch of appropriate plays. I notice that I complete the Portland-LA ticket, but then notice I'm supposed to keep it secret. Oops.

Then I notice we've been doing the gray spaces wrong, and that you still have to have a set of identical colors, rather than just any old thing. That certainly changes play and we play that way from then on. I offer to let my son do one last one, but he fills in a six-point caboose set handily anyway.

While I work furtively on my 20 point ticket, I notice daughter is heading for a long route across the middle, and she's hit Nashville. Hmm. If I play a one-point route from Nashville to Atlanta, I'm guessing that will interfere with where I think she's going. Ever since I introduced her to Battle Cry 3 years ago and told her how important her general was and then killed it with a lucky Sniper roll ( I had no idea I would roll a hit, honest blush ) I've been leery of ruthless play against my kids. Well, this is our first game, and I want something interesting to happen.

So I play Nashville-Atlanta. Howl!

What's probably worse is I never mention that she can easily get back at me by hitting Dallas-Houston to break up my southern Miami route. Until I've filled it in myself. So its a learning game!

Ultimately I end up winning (I even ended up with Longest Route, which I didn't expect, since I drew LA-Chicago and managed to complete it, making a 39-car route around the US), and my son, who didn't try for any Tickets beyond his first two comes in a solid second. Daughter misses 1 of her three, and comes in third. But we had fun!

I'm assuming that longest route ignores spurs and such that aren't strictly longest. It seemed like after out initial draws we didn't go for getting many more tickets, juts sticking with what we had. I wonder if it can be effective to get a bunch of easier routes to finish up more quickly. Probably so...

We look forward to playing again, and beating Dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you add the thrifty find to the weekly Thrift Store/Bargain Finds list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did! I've seen that list and said to myself, "eh, I never go hunting thrift stores..." So I'm glad to be able to participate in a new field of endeavor

What was really nice was that the web-code was never activated either.

But after my first on-line play I see that we got another rule wrong, the one about only taking 1 locomotive and redrawing if too many are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Glad you got to post in a new place

The locomotive rule is hard for some to grasp, at least non gamers, and is easily overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.