Subject: Need some advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am new to Ticket to Ride. I just went out and bought the game today along with the 1910 expansion because of all the great reviews I've read. I can't say I'm a heavy game player but I am a big fan of Settlers of Catan which I've owned for some years.

Now that the kids are all gone, I'd like to play TTR with my wife...who is not necessarily a big board game fan but I think she'll take to this because of the simplicity of the rules.

My questions are these:

Since the two of us are TTR beginners and I'm aiming to get my wife as interested and enthusiastic over this game as possible, which rules do you recommend we use for two-person games...at least initially?

Should we use any or all of the new destination tickets?

How about the new globetrotter bonus ticket?

I just want to be sure we start off with a bang...because if my wife gets a bad first impression, that can kill the whole experience!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Play with the most basic rules. So that means stick with the original deck of destination cards (use the 1910 version because the cards are bigger and nicer, but take out the ones that aren't part of the base game) and I would leave out both the longest route and the globetrotter bonuses. Let her be familiar with just the concept of building and making tickets before having to worry about the other ways to get points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'd leave the longest route in, and the most tickets out. Shouldn't make too much of a difference either way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the base game without any expansions, but go ahead and open the 1910 expansion to get the full-sized cards to use with the game. Don't include any of the tickets or alternate rules from the expansion.

Now, once you guys have played it a lot, and you're both getting a little bored with the tickets, pull the expansion back out and use the Big Cities variant tickets. This improves the 2-player game by encouraging competition among some of the larger cities, but I wouldn't start with that variant until you feel like you've played out the base game. For one, it would ruin the possibility for a new experience with a good game; for another, that competition may spoil the game for either of you if the competition becomes too great.

Then, once you've played out Big Cities, go for Switzerland. Or Nordic Countries. But avoid Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR 1910, the Mega Game isn't THAT MUCH MORE "meatier" than the base game.

If your wife gets put off by the slightest bit of extra complexity/difficulty, then perhaps I'd say go with the TtR base game first, but using ALL of the rules set forth in the base game. There doesn't seem to be anyway to trim things down without changing things for the worse

For example, There are ways that people "dumb down" Settlers for newbies to make things less complicated and more accessible. One way is to use a preset board so the number distributions and resource layout makes things more evenly. Some go further by having preset settlements and possibly also preset roads for the initial settlement phase. That definately takes away a major aspect of the game, but then again, most newbies are hardpressed to find an ideal spot and direction for the road anyways. The most extreme case of "training wheels" for Settlers was omitting development cards for the first game or first few games or so. To me, that's overkill. Dev cards really should be kept in to get exposure to them sooner than later

However, even TtR 1910 is simplier than SoC, so all of that may be a moot point, in which case, jumping right into the 1910 Mega Game variant oughtta be fine

Another minor but significant thing to note.......
While the 1910 are supposed to be a superset of the base game (with larger print cards), there is change that affects gameplay. Four of the destination tickets from the base game have modified point values. You can still use the 1910 cards for the base game, but after fishing out all of the cards with the following "water marks"... 1910 (destination tickets specifically for the 1910 variant), Big Cities, Mega Game, and Mystery Train, 'adjust' the following point values for these cards. Perhaps use a piece of paper to display the value from the base game

LA to Miami original game 20 points 1910 game 19 points
LA to NY original game 21 pts.1910 game 20 pts.
Saul St. Marie to Oklahoma City original game 9 pts. 1910 game 8 pts.
Seattle to NY original game 22 pts. 1910 game 20 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
While the 1910 are supposed to be a superset of the base game (with larger print cards), there is change that affects gameplay. Four of the destination tickets from the base game have modified point values. You can still use the 1910 cards for the base game, but after fishing out all of the cards with the following "water marks"... 1910 (destination tickets specifically for the 1910 variant), Big Cities, Mega Game, and Mystery Train, 'adjust' the following point values for these cards. Perhaps use a piece of paper to display the value from the base game

It's nowhere *near* worth bothering to do this. Besides, the values were changed because the designers realized that the new values were *better*. So why go to all this trouble and annoyance to change them back again to the worse ones? And you recommend this for newbies?!

Edit: also, to play the base game, you do NOT remove all the tickets with the "Big Cities" icon. Only Mystery Train and 1910.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

It's nowhere *near* worth bothering to do this. Besides, the values were changed because the designers realized that the new values were *better*. So why go to all this trouble and annoyance to change them back again to the worse ones? And you recommend this for newbies?!

Edit: also, to play the base game, you do NOT remove all the tickets with the "Big Cities" icon. Only Mystery Train and 1910.
To each their own. I'm sure there are some purists who would wanna go with what they're used to. It doesn't happen often, but some games do come neck to neck. Besides, if you want *better*, may as well just play 1910-Mega Game in its entirety.

I've seen newbies (relative to boardgaming) handle SoC just fine. A +1 change to 3 destination tickets and a +2 change to one destination ticket along with TtR 1910 itself shouldn't pose much of an issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
tickets specifically for the 1910 variant), Big Cities, Mega Game, and Mystery Train, 'adjust' the following point values for these cards. Perhaps use a piece of paper to display the value from the base game

That's a correction more than some sort of expansion. The ticket values in the game are equal to the minimum number of trains to make it from one city to another. In all of those cases, the 1910 figure is the correct minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.