Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: China Card and Coups in Asia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the China card get +1 when used entirely in Asia. How does that work for coups? Thus, does a coup in Pakistan start at 1 Influence removed/added even before the die are rolled?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The China Card adds +1 to the Operations Value of a card if used entirely in Asia. You don't start at 1 influence removed or added before the die is rolled.

So if you decide to coup in Pakistan with a 4 OPS card then it becomes a 5 OPS card.

Stability value of Pakistan (2) X2 = 4. This means that the coup attempt would automatically succeed. Roll the dice and determine how many influence you will be removing and/or adding.

Using the China Card in a coup against Pakistan guarantees success as long as you use any OPS card of 3 or higher. A 2 OPS card would still require you to roll since a roll of 1 would mean that the total rolled would be 4. Ties are not successful, you have to hit at least 5 to be successful.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tombstone007 wrote:

So if you decide to coup in Pakistan with a 4 OPS card then it becomes a 5 OPS card.


I might be wrong here, but I think you can only have 4 OPs as a maximum on any card - so 5 OPs for a Coup is not allowed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Matt...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're wrong. You can have 5 OPs when playing the China Card entirely in Asia, which includes using it for a coup in Asia.

The 4 OPs upper limit is on Containment and Brezhnev doctrine.

You can also get 5 or even 6 Ops with the aid of Vietnam Revolts.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

tombstone007 wrote:
Using the China Card in a coup against Pakistan guarantees success as long as you use any OPS card of 3 or higher. A 2 OPS card would still require you to roll since a roll of 1 would mean that the total rolled would be 4. Ties are not successful, you have to hit at least 5 to be successful.


How are you using another card in addition to the China card?

Update:

I've found my rulebook, and it says:

Rule 6.3.2 wrote:

If this modified die roll is greater than [doubled Stability], the coup is successful . . . . If the coup is successful, remove Opposing [influence] equal to the difference . . . if there are insufficient [Opposing influence] . . . add [friendly influence]


Sorry bout the editing, I don't want to write out the whole rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tombstone007 wrote:
The China Card adds +1 to the Operations Value of a card if used entirely in Asia. You don't start at 1 influence removed or added before the die is rolled.

So if you decide to coup in Pakistan with a 4 OPS card then it becomes a 5 OPS card.

Stability value of Pakistan (2) X2 = 4. This means that the coup attempt would automatically succeed. Roll the dice and determine how many influence you will be removing and/or adding.

Using the China Card in a coup against Pakistan guarantees success as long as you use any OPS card of 3 or higher. A 2 OPS card would still require you to roll since a roll of 1 would mean that the total rolled would be 4. Ties are not successful, you have to hit at least 5 to be successful.




There seems to be some confusion about the nature of the China Card here. The China Card isn't played with another OPs card. It is played as an OPs card- one which has a value of 4 normally but 5 when played entirely in Asia.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
You're wrong. You can have 5 OPs when playing the China Card entirely in Asia, which includes using it for a coup in Asia.

The 4 OPs upper limit is on Containment and Brezhnev doctrine.

You can also get 5 or even 6 Ops with the aid of Vietnam Revolts.


Thanks Philip - I wasn't entirely sure I was correct, but knew I'd remembered there was an OPs limit somewhere.

Cheers,

Matt...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The China Card isn't played with another OPs card. It is played as an OPs card- one which has a value of 4 normally but 5 when played entirely in Asia.


That's what I thought. Thanks for your help, Philip.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice avatar.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

a question which rose up reading the FAQ found in Files:

Quote:
Q. If the U.S. player plays the China card on the Space Race does it affect the Formosan Resolution?

A. Yes, because the U.S. player would be playing the China card it would cancel the Formosan Resolution.


Can someone explain this?
How would the same bonuses (China Card and Formosan Revolution both give +1 Operations value to a card, the latter only to Southeast Asia though) cancel each other?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Guys,

a question which rose up reading the FAQ found in Files:

Quote:
Q. If the U.S. player plays the China card on the Space Race does it affect the Formosan Resolution?

A. Yes, because the U.S. player would be playing the China card it would cancel the Formosan Resolution.


Can someone explain this?
How would the same bonuses (China Card and Formosan Revolution both give +1 Operations value to a card, the latter only to Southeast Asia though) cancel each other?


First, you can't play the China Card into the space race, so the FAQ question is weird. Oops, wrong. See below
Second, the Formosan Resolution does not give +1, it makes Taiwain into a battleground for the US. I think you mean Vietnam Revolts.
Third, if you legally play the China Card, the Formosan Resolution is cancelled. At least, I think that's what the card says.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:

First, you can't play the China Card into the space race, so the FAQ question is weird.
Second, the Formosan Resolution does not give +1, it makes Taiwain into a battleground for the US. I think you mean Vietnam Revolts.
Third, if you legally play the China Card, the Formosan Resolution is cancelled. At least, I think that's what the card says.

Ah, correct, I switched Formosan Resolution with Vietnam Revolts. Indeed the Formosan Resolution mentions the China Card. Debate ended here

Reg. the Space Race - why could you not play the China Card for the use with the Space Race? There is no such restriction in Rules (2nd edition), or am I mistaken?

Rules say that the China Card can be played as a regular card from your hand and that it may not be played only:

• during the Headline Phase,
• if it prevents the play of a Scoring card, or
• as a discard required by an Event.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. The rules appear to permit playing the China Card in the Space Race.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.