Subject: After reading my post about replenishing, also some thumbs. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi there.

Do you guys have any hints how to make replenishing phase go quicker?

In my first few games I did it all by myself, and I got sick of it right around game 2, round 12. Then I divided up the replenishing chores amongst the players, but things often get messy, especially on the rounds following harvest phases, where games often come to a grinding halt because everyone tries to remember whether the reed got replenished or not.

So, any techniques to how to accelerate this fiddly part of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give each player a set of resources that he or she is responsible for refilling. One person handles animals, another handles stone, etc.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been doing that for the last few games.

However, problems arise when, for instance, the reed'n'stones guy gets tangled up in figuring out what he will do for the next move, and the animals guy, not liking to wait, places reeds instead of him. Reed'n'stones guy wakes up and remembers placing a reed, which animal guy does not catch. I, having OCD about playing the game correctly balk at this etc. etc..

I love Agricola, but replenishing often makes me wish I'm playing a semi-electronic version of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
However, problems arise when, for instance, the reed'n'stones guy gets tangled up in figuring out what he will do for the next move, and the animals guy, not liking to wait, places reeds instead of him.

That's my experience as well, so I've created a simple game aid: just a bit of paper that shows all resources to be placed in a round. During a round when it's not my turn, I put the resources on the game aid, and at the start of the turn I move them to their action spaces. You'll never forget which resources have already been added.

I will upload this aid to BGG tonight.

UPDATE: I just uploaded it; it should be available for download soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just divvy the task of replenishing between myself and my SO.

I take a couple of boards, and Teresa takes a couple of boards. It's quick enough that way. Myself, when I'm filling I tend to simply go in order of round cards that I'm filling so I don't make any mistakes (I'm often answering questions about the play whilst I'm filling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I've been doing that for the last few games.

However, problems arise when, for instance, the reed'n'stones guy gets tangled up in figuring out what he will do for the next move, and the animals guy, not liking to wait, places reeds instead of him.

And then you smack the animals guy and tell him to stop messing with the system.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest some sort of organizer tray, but leave the replenishing task to just one guy. if he has easy access to all the bits it's a pretty painless task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Newsh wrote:
I just divvy the task of replenishing between myself and my SO.

I take a couple of boards, and Teresa takes a couple of boards. It's quick enough that way. Myself, when I'm filling I tend to simply go in order of round cards that I'm filling so I don't make any mistakes (I'm often answering questions about the play whilst I'm filling)

We do exactly the same. My wife starts at the latest round card and proceeds backwards, I start at the left-most action and proceed forward. That's the fastest way. If you assign tasks to too many people it really gets messy and takes even longer than you would do it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this mostly at my FLGS and we always have some who aren't playing but want to watch. I make one of them in charge of replenishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always do them in order, so you'll have them memorized halfway through the game.
Start: "One reed - two wood - one sheep".
Next turn: "One reed - two wood - one sheep - one boar".
Next turn: "One reed - two wood - one sheep - one boar - one stone"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
We pre-stack, so we have (usually) the next 3 rounds ready to go. It's easy to do this during the downtime while the other players take their turns.

This also has the advantage that you see everything that needs to be replenished and don't miss things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made lines of all the items that get filled each turn and did a bunch of rows to last awhile. Each turn we grab a line of the items and fill the board. If a new item is to be filled each turn I than made a new row with it. During peoples turns I just put out another row or 2 of items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also pre-stack rows of items to be placed in the order they should be filled onto the board. Adding items as new Action-cards are being placed.

I usually have plenty of time during turns to do this.
My biggest problem has been that there isn't enough pieces to fill more than a few rows ata time. However, now that I have two copies of the game (German and English), I think this problem has been solved now.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
"One reed - two wood - one sheep".
Next turn: "One reed - two wood - one sheep - one boar".
Next turn: "One reed - two wood - one sheep - one boar - one stone"...

... [everybody]...

one man went to mow... went to mow a meadow...

one man, one reed, two wood, one sheep, one boar... gulp

went to mow a meadow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
I've created a simple game aid: just a bit of paper that shows all resources to be placed in a round. During a round when it's not my turn, I put the resources on the game aid, and at the start of the turn I move them to their action spaces. You'll never forget which resources have already been added.

This game aid is now available at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/34373. It's a very simple thing, but I find it useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Now THAT thing needs to be on the reverse on one of the playing boards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
We pre-stack, so we have (usually) the next 3 rounds ready to go. It's easy to do this during the downtime while the other players take their turns.

This also has the advantage that you see everything that needs to be replenished and don't miss things.

And to think she used to mock me when I started doing this cool

Note three rounds ahead may be difficult in a five player game if lots of players are hoard a particular resource, but two rounds ahead is almost always doable.

Now if somebody would just build a pez dispenser type device you could load up and just hold of the board and click, move, click etc. it would be even easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The replenish board sounds like a cool idea. I gotta try that.

However, the division of labour also works: During the game, I keep my wooden bits in two little bowls: one for animeeples and the other for li'l disks. Two players take one bowl each, and replenish what's in it. The only problem is fish, since it's cardboard; by convention, the animal guy also replenishes the fish.

Something one of the replenishers does space out, but it's usually not "have you placed a reed?", but "are the disks done?" which is a much easier question to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

Now if somebody would just build a pez dispenser type device you could load up and just hold of the board and click, move, click etc. it would be even easier!

Man, the replenishing dispenser would be cool..

I also though how the next editions of Agricola should instead of wooden disks introduce plastic Lego-like chips. You could then prepare the wood in stacks of three in advance, and the replenishing and handling the pieces would be SO much easier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a dispenser wouldn't work as you rarely need exactly the same stuff twice in a row. You would still need to add something or remove any surplus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
a dispenser wouldn't work as you rarely need exactly the same stuff twice in a row. You would still need to add something or remove any surplus.

Work with me here Mik

If you dispensed the latest round card last, it could work. You would only be adding the new stuff to the dispenser at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Actually, instead of Pez dispenser I'd rather have something like that artificial sweetener dispenser. You just position it above the appropriate spot on the board, press the button and it craps out the needed amount of resources.

Hell, forget animeeples. I want THAT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kennard
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Hell, forget animeeples. I want THAT!

Hell, forget that. I want an animeeple dispenser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw Morris
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really understanding why people are having a problem with the replenish stage. Here's a simple rule: put all new goods on the yellow arrow. Then anyone can see at a glance if any resources are missing and can add them himself. Once all the resources are replenished, slide them all off the yellow arrow. Everyone can help replenish, and there's no confusion as to whether a particular resource has been done or not. Easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yellow...arrow??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.