Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the Cattle Whisperer occupation says:

"Add 5 and 9 to the current round. Place 1 Cattle on the corresponding round spaces. At the start of these rounds, you receive the Cattle."

I understand the second and third sentences of this card. However, what does "Add 5 and 9 to the current Round" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You add those numbers to the current round to determine which round you will receive the resources (there are a few cards like this).

If it is Rround 2 when you play the card, place the cattle on the Round 7 and 11 spaces.

If you play it in Round 7, place the cattle in round 12 and that's it (since Round 16 doesn't exist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example how this works.

You play this occupation in round 1.
You add 5 to 1 and get 6, you add 9 to 1 and get 10.
So you place one cattle on round space 6 and one on 10.
At the beginning of those round, you get those cow.

Next game, you play this in round 8.
You add 5 to 8 and get 13, you add 9 to 8 and get 17.
So you place one cattle on round space 13 and one on 17.
D'oh! There's no round 17. So that second cow will be lost in a time-space-error, and you get only one bovine meeple at the beginning of turn 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is a bit awkwardly written. When we ran across it the other night, we just settled for adding cattle to 5 and 9. Nice to know what to really do now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
The text on the Cattle Whisperer occupation says:

"Add 5 and 9 to the current round. Place 1 Cattle on the corresponding round spaces. At the start of these rounds, you receive the Cattle."

I understand the second and third sentences of this card. However, what does "Add 5 and 9 to the current Round" mean?

Out of curiosity, what did you understand the word "corresponding" to mean without the first sentence?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought you added cattle to rounds 5 and 9 and then something else happened with rounds 5 and 9 as well (although we couldn't figure out what).

Thanks for all the quick answers - this really helps, as it sounds like there are other similar cards out there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
Here's an example how this works.

You play this occupation in round 1.
You add 5 to 1 and get 6, you add 9 to 1 and get 10.
So you place one cattle on round space 6 and one on 10.
At the beginning of those round, you get those cow.

Next game, you play this in round 8.
You add 5 to 8 and get 13, you add 9 to 8 and get 17.
So you place one cattle on round space 13 and one on 17.
D'oh! There's no round 17. So that second cow will be lost in a time-space-error, and you get only one bovine meeple at the beginning of turn 13.

So wait, I should get out my copy of Arkham Horror and put the post round 14 stuff on the Lost in Time and Space square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:

So wait, I should get out my copy of Arkham Horror and put the post round 14 stuff on the Lost in Time and Space square?

What a cool idea for an expansion. The Cthulhu deck for Agricola. Occuption: Cthulhu, Minor Improvement: Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
The card is a bit awkwardly written.
Try and reword it so that your wording fits on the card cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

Adding one word would probably make it clearer: Add 5 and 9 to the current round number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Adding one word would probably make it clearer: Add 5 and 9 to the current round number.

Then you'll have people "rounding" to the nearest number. "Hmmm, it's round 1. Should I round to 2 or 3? Which is more round?" Or should I round up to 10 or round down to 0? Sure, everyone can come up with their own wording to make it crystal clear to them but then someone else is going to misinterpret that.

No offense to those who misinterpreted the card, but it seems pretty straight forward. Take a sentance at a time: You know the current round and you know how to add. You now have the corresponding round spaces to place items in.

But in all fairness, I think I read something either on the cards or the rulebook that had this adding situation and they clarified that if the number took you beyond 14, that round was ignored. So perhaps I was tipped off before getting to that card and it made perfect sense to me. (Just found it: it was on the Rules Explanation Board 2; they discuss the Plowman.)

As a quick run thorugh of the cards, the I-deck has the Sheep Whisperer and Fence Deliveryman and the K-Deck has the Pig Whisperer and Plowman that have a similar set-up. There may be more but this was all I found in the 2 minutes I ran through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
pijll wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Then you'll have people "rounding" to the nearest number.

Ok, Add 5 and 9 to the number of the current round. That is so much easier to interpret when you see a card like this for the first time.

Quote:
As a quick run thorugh of the cards, the I-deck has the Sheep Whisperer and Fence Deliveryman and the K-Deck has the Pig Whisperer and Plowman that have a similar set-up. There may be more but this was all I found in the 2 minutes I ran through them.

There's also the minor improvement Greenhouse (K).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the clearest way to word the card would be:

Add (4/2)+3 and (5*3)-(12/2) to the current round and hit those rounds with some cattle. At the beginning of those rounds grab those suckas and throw them in your farm. If you can't figure out what this means, just make something up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

Add (4/2)+3 and (5*3)-(12/2) to the current round and hit those rounds with some cattle. At the beginning of those rounds grab those suckas and throw them in your farm. If you can't figure out what this means, just make something up.

Congratulations! You get to be my card text troubleshooter in future. kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

Congratulations! You get to be my card text troubleshooter in future. kiss

Sweet! I have all kinds of great ideas such as the one above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.