United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A fairly simple question that came up in a recent game:

There are minor improvements that have a pre-requisite involving returning another improvement, for example 'Baker's Oven" where "the old oven is returned...".

We played it where, if you did not have an old oven, then you didn't need to return one, but you could still play the card.

However you could interpret the card as meaning you cannot play the card unless you can return an oven.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
We played it where, if you did not have an old oven, then you didn't need to return one, but you could still play the card.

The text "return oven" is in the upper left corner of the card, which means it is a pre-requisite, and therefore required: you must return an oven. See also page 8 of the English rule book on "Upgrade cards".

So you've been playing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
dwrigley wrote:

The text "return oven" is in the upper left corner of the card, which means it is a pre-requisite, and therefore required: you must return an oven. See also page 8 of the English rule book on "Upgrade cards".

I understand the logic of what you are saying however disagree with the way this feels. For example, in my 7 minors, the chance of me getting eg 'Wood Fired Oven' (no prerequisite) and 'Bakehouse' (prerequisite = return 1 oven) is pretty low. Therefore, in terms of minors, the Bakehouse is useless because I will rarely have an oven to return. Even if I do have the two cards, the cost (by returning one) becomes 3 wood and 4 stone (in the example used above). Of course I could return a major improvement oven ... but even that becomes stupidly expensive.

sigh ... I must be missing the point or something maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
Of course I could return a major improvement oven ... but even that becomes stupidly expensive.

Yes, that's the idea. I think the baking oven will be most frequently used to upgrade a major improvement oven.

The baking oven is cheap! Note that upgrading to a baking oven is free, except that it costs you a minor improvement action, which is just half a turn, and which would otherwise often go wasted. And you gain (compared to e.g. the clay oven) 1 vp, 1 immediate baking action, and the ability to bake 1 additional grain into 5 food.

I don't think the costs and benefits of the cards are unbalanced, but if they were, I would say the card is too cheap for what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
dwrigley wrote:
pijll wrote:
dwrigley wrote:

I understand the logic of what you are saying however disagree with the way this feels. For example, in my 7 minors, the chance of me getting eg 'Wood Fired Oven' (no prerequisite) and 'Bakehouse' (prerequisite = return 1 oven) is pretty low. Therefore, in terms of minors, the Bakehouse is useless because I will rarely have an oven to return. Even if I do have the two cards, the cost (by returning one) becomes 3 wood and 4 stone (in the example used above). Of course I could return a major improvement oven ... but even that becomes stupidly expensive.

sigh ... I must be missing the point or something maybe...

So, your supposed to buy the Major Improvement ovens, then return one of them to play your Minor Improvement upgrade.

Like, you take one action to buy a major improvement, spend your clay, and get the clay oven (1 grain -> 5 food 1x per baking). Then later you take another action to buy a minor improvement to play your Bakehouse (1 grain -> 5 food 2x per baking), and to pay for the Bakehouse, return the Clay Oven to the Major Improvement Board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
The oven is part of the cost of the improvement.

You must return an oven. That's why it says it on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook at the top of page 8:

Quote:
Some Minor Improvements are Upgrade cards. Playing these cards not only costs goods but also requires the player to return an existing played or acquired Improvement.

From the chapter entitled Improvement Cards on page 7:

Quote:
Some Minor Improvements require the player to have a prerequisite – these are shown in the top left corner. In order to play these cards, the player must have the required goods, tiles or cards on the table in front of him or her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Minor" in "minor improvement" is there for a reason. Minor improvements are always less directly useful (or less points) than Major improvements, and major improvements are harder to get out (in terms of actions, if not cost). OTOH, some minor improvements can offer huge benefits to an already purchased major improvement....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me.
My wife is still cross .... she is the one who told me to play it the way I had described above... and I must do as I am told!!!

I am sure she will come round to your reasoning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try this the next time I buy a car... "I don't have an old car to trade in, but we still play it so I can get the new one at the lower price, right?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.