Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any advice out there on fixing warped boards for Agricola?

Our pre-order shipped direct from Z-man, but straight out of the box it had some fairly significant warpage on the boards. Significant enough that it is noticable, and during our inaugural play the boards had a tendency to spin, turn, and bump about as you pushed down on one corner and the opposite corner would bounce up, possibly shifting the bits on the board.

It wouldn't have been so bad had the warp been going the other way, but as luck would have it, the main board is warped with the dihedral facing upwards on all of the main boards, making the whole thing a bit of a mess.

Any advice out there on fixing these?

'cause it is rather significant ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a bit of work, but I still haven't seen better advice than what's found in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/290328

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryon Quick
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I dug my oooold copy of Survive! out of my father's attic, the board was pretty seriously warped. A couple of days under the books of The Complete Calvin & Hobbes flattened it perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do try to straighten out the boards, post back here and let us know how it goes. Mine are also a bit warped - not enough to be a "problem", but enough that it's noticeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with counter-bending it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
Maybe too easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just flipped the boards over (convex side up) before stacking the bags of wooden bits on top when I repacked the game. Seems to do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unittype wrote:
jens_hoppe wrote:
Maybe too easy!

Tried that initially. Didn't work. Which was why I posted here, asking for more advice.

Gosh, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
unittype wrote:
jens_hoppe wrote:
Maybe too easy!

Tried that initially. Didn't work. Which was why I posted here, asking for more advice.

Gosh, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Sorry, no offense intended.. Maybe you should search for some really heavy books as Bryon suggested.

I own Agricola since October last year and have seen many other copys as this game has been a great hit in my common gaming community. I have never seen a copy with warped boards, so I barely could imagine that it would be that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a board curls upward after the shrinkwrap is broken and you've taken them out, then the humidity in your home is lower than it was where the contents were packed. When the top of the board dries up from evaporation, it shrinks, whereas the backside is still holding its humidity and is bigger, so the board curls upward. If it curls downward, the reverse is true.

In either case, after the worst of the warpage is over (which is usually the first 2 or 3 hours), flip them over again, and leave them overnight. This will usually be sufficient for the two sides to be equally dry (or humid, as the case may be), and the shrinkage to be uniform for both sides, so they should warp pretty close back to flat.

For my boards, this worked almost perfectly for all of them save one, and that one was back to about 90% flat. A little twisting finished it off.

If you do get an upward curl, and leaving it facing down overnight doesn't fix it (or you're in a hurry), you could also try running a fan over it, which would increase the evaporation rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine curled up within a few hours of opening the box. Last night after a game I put them back in the box with the center up so the weight of the components would flatten it out. I don't know if it worked or not since I haven't opened the box again but if someone comes up with a better solution for this problem, post it here. I may need to take more drastic steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.