Subject: A few thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hart
Scotland
Oban
Argyll
flag msg tools
Hmm... I'm a big fan of Sid Meier's Civ on the PC, in fact I'm a big fan of Sid's games, including covert action.
I've owned and played Civilization, Colonization, Civ II, Civ II: a test of time and Alpha Centouri. This has led me to always want to play Civilization, the board game which started it all, and maybe try Advanced Civilization. Now I'm wondering, how similar is this game to the original board game which the original computer game was based on?
I guess the only way I'll find out is if I try all of the board games and see which, if any, I like, and which I preffer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Nilsson
Sweden
Malmö
Scania
flag msg tools
Re:A few thoughts
From what I've heard Advanced Civ and the PC game doesn't rally have anything to do with each other in the first place (except for the name). Microprose and Avalon Hill came to an agreement that Microprose could use the name (AH property) if the PC game shipped with advertisment for the board game (at least that's how I remember it). When the PC-game in turn is converted to a boardgame the whole thing gets kind of cunfusing. Anyway, while the new game is in now way light it seems rather modest both in playing time and complexity compared to the old one. The old game is a 10 hour monster (not that that's a bad thing). I'll try to get them both, but if I'll ever get enough players and time the old classic would be my first pick. To be realistic though I think the new one will get more play due to a strange shortage of diehard gamers like me. I just hope some of Sid's genius has rubbed of on the boardgame. I hope that answers some of your questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.