Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my birthday in about a month, to celebrate this me and my girlfriend are going to host a 48 hour gaming session. Yup, Friday to Sunday, nothing but boards and cards. We do expect the quality of the gaming to decrease over the course of the weekend.

We know loads of people who game, casually and more gamer types. So our plan is to have an open house weekend, people are welcome to drop by and leave whenever they want, play what they want and have a few laughs.

Now, the only thing that concerns me is that as people arrive and games get started, obviously those games are going to end a different times. I'm worried that the groups that form (We're going to be using 3 rooms of our house) will stagnate and people just end up playing with the same group all weekend. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this? My current plan is to have postit notes on all the game boxes and people can write their names on the note of games they want to play. That way as games end they can check the other peoples games to see how long they will be. Also I hope to get an 'endless' game of the Great Dalmuti or Pit going in one room, so as people finish and need to wait 10 - 15 mins they can go in there and relax with a less 'intense' game.

Any advice is always welcome.

(We're also going to have lots of coffee, ProPlus and Haribo on hand...and I might have a 'live' session report/geeklist going as the weekend happens, depends how tired I get of course...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no advice but I have to say this is a great idea and I am totally going to do this myself! Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of it, hope it goes well. Not sure if I could handle that much hardcore gaming, I'd lose the will to win!

And I know a guy who can get you something stronger than ProPlus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
I have no advice but I have to say this is a great idea and I am totally going to do this myself! Good luck

Encoragement is just as important as advice! I think we're gonna need it!

radioshed wrote:
I like the sound of it, hope it goes well. Not sure if I could handle that much hardcore gaming, I'd lose the will to win!

It's gonna be interesting. I'm not sure how hardcore it'll be, I rekon after 36 or so hours it's going to start getting confusing, "Anyone got Wood for Indigo?"

radioshed wrote:
And I know a guy who can get you something stronger than ProPlus

Ah, ProPlusPlus. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Plopper wrote:
This sounds insane.

Yes, and we probably will be by the end of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely suggest finding some quick play games. Just thinking of my own collection...Quoridor and Boggle come to mind.

You need a few quick games that can be taught in a few seconds, played in a few minutes, and will hold the interest of both players and observers. Boggle is great for this. I know it's not a Euro or a War game..and therefore considered lame on this site...but it takes 10 seconds to teach, 3 minutes to play, and 1 or 2 minutes to score. You can also have a ton of players playing...basically anyone that is in viewing distance of the board. The players can play as many or as few rounds as they like...and it's also a great game for observers, as they try to find their own words in their head. It sounds like a perfect game for your situation...people float in and out, spending 5 to 15 minutes while they wait for the rest of the people for the next "serious" game to free up.

Quoridor is another great one...but you can't find it at your local big box, that's for sure. It teaches in about 30 seconds, and plays in about 5 to 10...unless you're playing someone with a severe case of AP that tries to treat the game as seriously as chess, when it should be played more like checkers.

Hope this helps...and have a blast!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to sleep?

This reminds me of my ultramarathon running friends that do 100+ mile races. Run, drink, run, pee, run, eat, run, poo, sleep (10mins), run more. Repeat until ultramarathon complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only allow wargames Dan, none of this namby pamby nonsense! In 48 hours I could get in at least 3 games of WWII Barbarossa to Berlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Only allow wargames Dan, none of this namby pamby nonsense! In 48 hours I could get in at least 3 games of WWII Barbarossa to Berlin.

I have recently picked up World in Flames...I know one person who knows ASLSK1, and I'm not really willing to teach that to someone after I haven't slept for a day or so...

So, yes some namby pamby nonsense will have to be had. You guys are more than welcome I'll PM you my address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Plopper wrote:
Are you going to sleep?

Nah, sleep is for losers! At least, thats the plan, we'll see how it pans out on the day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.