We Didn't Playtest This At All» Forums » Reviews

Subject: We've Playtested It and It Plays Just Fine! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was searching BGG for some fun little games that multiple people can play and enjoy at a low cost. Luckily, this game showed up on the "Hot Games" list on the website. I read the review and purchased this immediately, and I can report happily that we were not disappointed.

Gameplay

In Playtest, you shuffle a deck containing 52 cards. Each player draws 2 cards and then one card on each turn. Some are repeats, and some simply change a few of the words on the cards (which changes the meaning). For instance, one card says "You Win." Under that title, there will be various conditions that must be met in order for you to win, such as "You win if everyone who is still in the game is wearing something blue(visible)."

Cards like this really contribute to the game's random and quick nature.

Length

The game lasts anywhere from 10 seconds on up. Generally a game shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes, but it can occur every once and while. It's a great filler when you're waiting for a new game to begin or something like that.

Quality

The cards are of a pretty good quality, similar to cards you'd receive in various board games but perhaps a bit thinner. The game is packaged in a little box (similar to various card games deck boxes) and the cards fit into your generic penny sleeves if you'd like to keep them safe. However, as usual, once sleeved the cards are a bit tougher to put into the box.

Chaos Packs

The chaos pack adds some random cards in a separate pile, one of which gets pulled in the beginning of the game, and that cards effect lasts until the end.

The chaos pack adds a bit of variety to the game, but not as much as one would originally hope for. However, due to the nature of the cards I believe that the chaos pack does it's job relatively well. It's not as number/draw intensive as some of the other card games out there that produce their versions of "chaos packs" (I'll call them that for the sake of understanding.) I feel with more expansions and additions of cards, the chaos packs will become better as well.

Overall

Overall, my group and I were thoroughly impressed by Playtest. It is certainly a fun little game to play whenever you feel like a laugh and it will definitely be played for years to come. We're really looking forward to the addition of more cards and packs to further the absurdity and glee that comes from playing random cards on friends.

Rating :8.5/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.