United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now up for preorder at funagain
http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=019101
It mentions 500 cards and list price 44.95.

Description of theme:
You are a monarch, like your parents before you, a ruler of a small pleasant kingdom of rivers and evergreens. Unlike your parents, however, you have hopes and dreams! You want a bigger and more pleasant kingdom, with more rivers and a wider variety of trees. You want a Dominion! In all directions lie fiefs, freeholds, and feodums. All are small bits of land, controlled by petty lords and verging on anarchy. You will bring civilization to these people, uniting them under your banner.

But wait! It must be something in the air; several other monarchs have had the exact same idea. You must race to get as much of the unclaimed land as possible, fending them off along the way. To do this you will hire minions, construct buildings, spruce up your castle, and fill the coffers of your treasury. Your parents wouldn't be proud, but your grandparents, would be delighted.

Dominion is not a CCG, but the play of the game is similar to the construction and play of a CCG deck. The game comes complete with roughly 500 cards. You select 10 of the 20+ Kingdom card types to include in any given play -- leading to immense variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But even Funagain is only asking $35.99, which means that it will be widely available for less than $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to have just stolen the text from Rio's page... which also has a small image of what i can only assume is the box...

http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=278
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
They seem to have just stolen the text from Rio's page... which also has a small image of what i can only assume is the box...

http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=278

that box cover is absolutely hideous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, with all respect to the artist, I hope that's a rough box cover image. It looks a bit off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quartex wrote:
Hmmmm, with all respect to the artist, I hope that's a rough box cover image. It looks a bit off.

My main problem is the text. Honestly, the rest looks pretty good, as long as they're supposed to be on a big, steep hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
North Ridgeville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
unixrevolution wrote:

Just in case you didn't see it, the thumbnail looks far worse than the larger image, here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/360398

I wouldn't say it's hideous, but it could use some improvement. The drop shadow on the title, for example, is way too large and dark imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:

Just in case you didn't see it, the thumbnail looks far worse than the larger image, here:

I wouldn't say it's hideous, but it could use some improvement. The drop shadow on the title, for example, is way too large and dark imho.

Thanks you are right that is much better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:

Yeah, it's not hideous...I just don't like the title text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly...I couldnt/wouldnt have cared if they had the cover smeared with poop and vomit. The game and gameplay is so damned great, I wouldve paid double what they are charging. I, for one, am pre-ordering from my retailer of choice once they list it. It may be the game that finally quells my sickness of constantly buying game after game after game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Kalidor wrote:
Honestly...I couldnt/wouldnt have cared if they had the cover smeared with poop and vomit.

I dunno, our market research indicated that the vomit-smeared version did not go over as well with several key demographics. We had a pus-smeared version that I thought was very artsy and clever, but the FDA said we'd have to put a biohazard warning label on it. I briefly pushed for a version smeared with that stuff that you pick out of the corners of your eyes in the morning, but we would have had to import it, and you know, the dollar is somewhat weak against the euro these days. So we went with the plain cardboard version with a bad font. My understanding is that there may still be a placenta-smeared version, but only in Samoa. You might be able to get it on e-bay, although probably not with the original placenta.

I realize in writing this that someone out there may be horrified at the thought of RGG actually releasing a game smeared with human placenta, so let me clear that up right now. RGG has no plans whatsoever to smear any of its games with human placenta. The only kind of placenta even remotely being considered is bat placenta. Furthermore that would just be for the Samoan version. And our suppliers have indicated that these bat placentas are simply top-notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...no feces, huh?
That's just a shame.

Anyways, awesome reply and a better than awesome game.
I am literally buying 2 copies upon release. 1 for play and 1 for back-up, for when my cards decompose due to constant play.

Best game I have played in a looooong time. It is a 10 for me and will remain that way, I think, for always.

Thank you for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:

Yeah, it's not hideous...I just don't like the title text.

Agreed, the font choice is pretty awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reynolds
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the art, and the game sounds intriguing.

I need to find a copy. Card games are easy to entice people to play and have a low "clean up" score

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Kalidor wrote:
Honestly...I couldnt/wouldnt have cared if they had the cover smeared with poop and vomit.

I dunno, our market research indicated that the vomit-smeared version did not go over as well with several key demographics. We had a pus-smeared version that I thought was very artsy and clever, but the FDA said we'd have to put a biohazard warning label on it. I briefly pushed for a version smeared with that stuff that you pick out of the corners of your eyes in the morning, but we would have had to import it, and you know, the dollar is somewhat weak against the euro these days. So we went with the plain cardboard version with a bad font. My understanding is that there may still be a placenta-smeared version, but only in Samoa. You might be able to get it on e-bay, although probably not with the original placenta.

I realize in writing this that someone out there may be horrified at the thought of RGG actually releasing a game smeared with human placenta, so let me clear that up right now. RGG has no plans whatsoever to smear any of its games with human placenta. The only kind of placenta even remotely being considered is bat placenta. Furthermore that would just be for the Samoan version. And our suppliers have indicated that these bat placentas are simply top-notch.

I was going to try-before-I-buy on this one, but this quote just escalated it to a must buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Honestly... The game and gameplay is so damned great, I wouldve paid double what they are charging. I, for one, am pre-ordering from my retailer of choice once they list it. It may be the game that finally quells my sickness of constantly buying game after game after game...

HA!!! Every (and I mean EVERY) D@#m game I buy I tell myself the same thing. My most recent purchase was Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest and, yes I said it then too. If I could see some more art and gameplay ideas, I probably would say it about this Dominion game as well!

But hey, I can quit any time I want to.

Any Time!!!

What!?!

Hey, stop laughing!!!!

laugh

(truly I hope it does it for you!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial thought: Wow, a new edition of Domain!
My secondary thought: Wow, one step closer to Dominion hitting my table!

By the way, Dominion is an amazing game and can't come soon enough for me. This is also the only game that my GF has ever repeatedly asked me if I've pre-ordered yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Agreed, the font choice is pretty awful.

I don't think it's the font so much as the color/shading/texture of it and the banner behind it. They are too bright and crisp, and scream clip-art, as compared to the nice "watercolor" behind it.

That said, I'm in the "brown-paper-bag" camp; I don't care what it comes in, as long as I get two copies. Two months and change!

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The only time I see my bedroom ceiling is when I lie down to sleep and when I wake up. For the other 23 hours and 59 minutes of the day, I wouldn't care if it was white, beige, eggshell, flat, starburst or stucco. Same with most game boxes, I'll only look at it right as I'm getting it out and right as I'm putting it away.

A purely card-based game like Dominion is even less likely to suffer from poor box art because, like Bang! The Bullet, I'll probably pluck it unceremoniously from the original box and throw it into a standard 500-count card box for easy transport and setup.

So thank you to Jay and Donald and the people at Rio Grande for their work on the packaging, and don't be offended if I look at the box art one time and then move on to the gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Schaef wrote:
and then move on to the gaming.

In the spirit of moving on, can anyone who's either played or seen the game in action give a little sense of what the cards look like? I haven't seen any pics yet, and I'm curious about any iconography that will have to be learned (a la RftG). How "busy" are the cards graphically and what's the style of artwork, serious like RftG and the (apparently much-derided) cover or a bit more cartoony, say as in Medievalia or Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest. Not that cartoony is bad at all, in fact, I think it adds a little more approachability to a game. It doesn't look as heavy as a more formal artwork. To me, a more formal artwork tends to say, I'm a game trying to take myself more seriously. But I digress.

In the end:
I'm VERY intrigued, but I've lots of games to play, haven't got wads of cash to keep throwing at games, not so much time, and would like to know more. (I know, I know, I sound like the old Sizzler commercials, sorry).

Sell me on this new Dominion that will end my addiction (sayeth Kalidor)
If true, my wife will be running out to buy it! Probably 2 copies just to be sure.

Edit: added the bold "very"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
I'm curious about any iconography that will have to be learned (a la RftG).

I haven't seen the art but I can say little from experience with a prototype.

There are two icons, total, and they have dead obvious meanings. There's not a highly complex off-card rules apparatus set up to handle bringing cards into a play area, manage them there, trigger their abilities, etc., and so there's not a purpose to have cards cluttered with numbers and symbols. The cards that do stuff have just some imperative text on them. You play the card, do what the text says, then you're done. You need the text, so probably the cards when laid out at the start of the game will present a lot of text and so look daunting, no matter what art decisions are made. But maybe not.

Those Medievalia cards are attractive! Quick, someone tell RGG to hire that artist to do Dominion cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
I'm curious about any iconography that will have to be learned (a la RftG)

I don't think the game will lend itself to iconography very well, so I'd be surprised if there were any. In fact, I sort of remember someone (Dale, Valerie or Donald X.) saying explicitly that there would not be any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Sigrdrifa"]

In the spirit of moving on, can anyone who's either played or seen the game in action give a little sense of what the cards look like? [q]

Hmm... I think I can help here

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334420

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
But even Funagain is only asking $35.99, which means that it will be widely available for less than $30.

Exactly. $28.80 at Boulder Games. I don't understand why anyone would pay more when they don't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.