Australia
Mackay
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I'm having some problems with the rules in this game.
For example, does a shattered unit (not division) counts as eliminated for purpose of VP's?

Also, it seems to me that the VP for encircled city is way too much. I kinda won a game in 3 turns just because of political VP's with sieges...

Also, in the rules it states that if a division is shattered, one of the resulting 3 units is eliminated (does that count for VP's?) but in the map, it just states that if a division is shattered, you just put the 3 resulting units in the map...

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the third part, go with the map. In fact, the "eliminate 1 brigade and shatter the rest" is a bombardment result, not a crt result. So, both are actually correct.

I'm pretty sure shattered units do not count as eliminated, as they are still on the map.

Can't help with siege vps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Barradas
Australia
Mackay
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
For the third part, go with the map. In fact, the "eliminate 1 brigade and shatter the rest" is a bombardment result, not a crt result. So, both are actually correct.

Ah, ok, that's the confusion!

nyhotep wrote:
I'm pretty sure shattered units do not count as eliminated, as they are still on the map.

Ok, my doubt is not with the ones that survive, but with the ones that go through the refit table due to a shattered result. Like for example, if a regiment gets shattered, as it cannot breakdown, it is removed and goes through the refit table. Does that shattered unit count as eliminated?

nyhotep wrote:
Can't help with siege vps.

But don't you kinda feel it's too much PVP's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Barradas
Australia
Mackay
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, I have to say this:

The map is very good, I love the counters, the system seems really good.
All in all, I think this is one of the best strategic games of Vietnam war I've seen so far.

As soon as I clear some of the doubts I have with the rules, I guess I'll be playing it a lot!

For playing solo, I've created a weird solution.
NVA and VC counters still roam around face down, so as the dummies, but as soon as a dummy enters a combat (attack or defense), I roll a die. 1-3 it goes to refit. 4-6 I can swap it for another unit in that military zone that hasn't seen combat yet. Also, If a SOG unit reveals dummies, they stay in play, but face up. It's up to the communist side to decide if he wants to swap the unit.

Again, excellent game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Barradas
Australia
Mackay
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked some of this questions to the designer, and here are the answers:

Q: I am almost sure of this but, ... are units (non-divisional) that suffer a shattered result and therefore subject to the refit table considered as eliminated for VP purposes?

A: Yes. The idea is that this represents the political effects of casualties. So even if the unit is rebuilt, it still counts as elim.

Q: In section 5.10 you state that if a US divisional unit receives a shattered result it will breakdown into components and one of them is eliminated. That's not what says in the CRT of the map, so I assume that example pertains to the BRT. As such, shouldn't the example state NVA instead since US units are not subject to BRT?

A: Correct.

Q: Regarding garrisons in 5.11, does the flipping of the unit count as eliminated for VP purposes?

A: Yes.

Q: In a previous game, I've won with the communist side in 3 turns just by placing as many cities as I could under siege. In the US phase some have been displaced, but the next turn I've done it again, also with some cities being flipped to the communist side. Isn't that too many points being awarded is so little time? Probably I'm doing something wrong... I've won by sudden death (30+ MVP), and the US couldn't anything more than just relieving the sieged cities...

A: This is a valid strategy. The US player has to get active to prevent it.

Hope this help other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.