Popular Tags: [View All]
Cathal O'Siochru
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back a few friends and I decided to dust off my copy of Funkenschlag (aka Powergrid) which for some bizzare reason had lain unplayed for many months.

Since we hadn't played it in a long time and only had the German language rules handy we did our best to recall as many rules as we could and figured out the rest using our poor grasp of the German language.

What emerged was a version of the rules that was 99% the same as the actual rules, but with two important variations.

1. We thought you started with 20 electro instead of 50.
2. We got it into our heads that you must buy a powerplant each turn.

About 5 or 6 turns in it rapidly became apparent that if we continued with these rules the game would end in a draw pretty soon as each of us went bankrupt one by one.

At this point we bowed to the inevitable and went online to BGG to check what the real rules were. After much laughter and forehead-slapping, the game was restarted and continued in a more traditional, if less original fashion.

We ended up nick-naming our confused version of the rules "The Enron Variant" for obvious reasons. I wouldn't recommend it as a variant, but it still makes me laugh to think about it and our growing alarm as the game progressed, so I thought I would share it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
cathal wrote:
A while back a few friends and I decided to dust off my copy of Funkenschlag (aka Powergrid) which for some bizzare reason had lain unplayed for many months.

Since we hadn't played it in a long time and only had the German language rules handy we did our best to recall as many rules as we could and figured out the rest using our poor grasp of the German language.

What emerged was a version of the rules that was 99% the same as the actual rules, but with two important variations.

About 5 or 6 turns in it rapidly became apparent that if we continued with these rules the game would end in a draw pretty soon as each of us went bankrupt one by one.

At this point we bowed to the inevitable and went online to BGG to check what the real rules were. After much laughter and forehead-slapping, the game was restarted and continued in a more traditional, if less original fashion.

We ended up nick-naming our confused version of the rules "The Enron Variant" for obvious reasons. I wouldn't recommend it as a variant, but it still makes me laugh to think about it and our growing alarm as the game progressed, so I thought I would share it here.

For the true Enron variant, you would have allowed each player to take out three loans on the value of their power plants. Then when they needed the forth loan, only then would they have to go banrupt as the banks found they were short money and all had the same power plants as collateral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
and something to the effect of "roll a d6" on a 1or 2 you get "caught" for dumping your stocks, except the guy who shows up to game night with a stripper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cathal wrote:
Quote:

Somebody thought "fünfzig" meant "zwanzig"?

Quote:

I can understand that misreading, and starting with so little cash you will never catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathal O'Siochru
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
For the true Enron variant, you would have allowed each player to take out three loans on the value of their power plants. Then when they needed the forth loan, only then would they have to go banrupt as the banks found they were short money and all had the same power plants as collateral.

Hahaha, that's a great suggestion.

In terms of unintentionally accurate recreations I think we did pretty good though. For example we all saw the collapse coming and simply dropped out of the game before it happened and while we all still had plenty of money. Did we tell our employees to go on playing without us? I'm afraid I cannot answer that question as I fear my answer may incriminate me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.