Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there any board game makers that WANT ideas for games.

Total War (like the PC game) board game. Rome:Total War or even Shogun:Total War or any type of STRATEGIC game that adds in specific unique units

You could use basic figures that correspond with the different unit types and building types with cards. A basic Army markers would be on the board like the fleet markers in Axis and Allies:Pacific. You could have several armies marked by these and then some type of tray that held the cards for that army, each card would have an individual unit type with unique abilities, strengths and weaknesses. When 2 armies met the cards would be lined in a way that creates a battle line of a maximum of 3 rows then the lines would be 'revealed' to the opponent. Cards in left, middle, and right flank would be able to attack their opposing flank. Ranged weapons would be able to attack into the rows, for instance archers might be able to attack to rows deep. This would create huge variety in combat but make it completely quick and manageable since strategic games typically take longer. You could even have general and leader cards to gain bonus for the entire army. Plus on the strategic level you would have building cards that allow you to construct buildings that advance your money and unit types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Are there any board game makers that WANT ideas for games.

Want ideas? Probably not. Ideas are cheap. Complete games that have been playtested and tweaked? Most of the game companies are looking for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Want ideas? Probably not. Ideas are cheap. Complete games that have been playtested and tweaked? Most of the game companies are looking for those.

Yeah, it would be the equivalent of trying to sell a "book idea" to a publisher versus trying to get them to publish a book that you already wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus the cost of licence for Total War would be astronomical.
Avoiding licences is probably a sensible thing, people are very protective of them and are very careful as to who they let develop products for them.

If you abstract you game idea it appears to be mainly axis and allies style combat with some complications simialr to the level of Command and colours. Then there is the resource management of using income to build buildings to generate effect (similar to alot of games).

None of this is a bad thing in my mind as they are all successful formulas, but you need to work out a complete circle for money in this case.

How do you generate money
How can you spend it to build
How do you generate more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
taraba wrote:
spearjr wrote:

Yeah, it would be the equivalent of trying to sell a "book idea" to a publisher versus trying to get them to publish a book that you already wrote.

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
Based on a novel by a man named Lear
And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

It's the dirty story of a dirty man
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son is working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I can make it longer if you like the style,
I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

If you really like it you can have the rights,
It could make a million for you overnight.
If you must return it, you can send it here
But I need a break and I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer

Paperback writer - paperback writer
Paperback writer - paperback writer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First when I say ‘idea’ I guess I mean something that is a little more in the way of sound mechanics, but lacking in specifics. Second, books are produced from just ideas all the time, I think some of you are mistaking producing and publishing as being one in the same when they are not. Books are produced all the time from ideas, depending on type of book, who is making it, and who is writing it. A book publisher is completely different that one that develops and produces books, think of it more as if someone was writing a diet book he might go to a diet expert who has a PHD and ask him to help write the book. I wouldn’t even associate creating games with writing books, or at least a fully completed book would have cover art and everything, I assume when a publisher accepts a book, the author hasn’t created or bound the book in anyway. I would associate with movies more than books. A movie is a simple script before it is produced. I am not talking about “Hey I have an idea, you guys should make a movie about a dude with a laser sword, fighting a dude in black with a laser sword” I am talking more in the way of say Avalon Hill is sitting on 30 years of research on WWII. If I had an idea for a new WWII game, could I bring my idea to Avalon Hill, and is there a potential that Avalon Hill would collaborate and share research if they see that the game mechanics are sound. Or do you have to research and produce the entire game, play test it, and everything before going to companies that CREATE and not just produce games. Just seems like a lot of wasted time reinventing the wheel. It seems that everyone would benifit for the colaboration of authors, producers, and publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most companies want to start with a completed and well written rule set from the designer. Typically this means that you have developed your idea, created a functional board with components and play tested it enough (especially blind play testing) so that you have a rule set that might need editing, not revision.
If the company is impressed with the rules, they will usually inquiry about looking at your game. They will decide from that point if they are interested.
One way around this process is to take your finished game to a Con and ask several different publishers to play your game. Most are willing to sit down and give it a go, but with few exceptions will they make an offer for your game. In rare cases they may ask for a mock-up of your game so that they can send it to the groups that play test for them.
I haven't heard of a company that asks for ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I am talking more in the way of say Avalon Hill is sitting on 30 years of research on WWII. If I had an idea for a new WWII game, could I bring my idea to Avalon Hill, and is there a potential that Avalon Hill would collaborate and share research if they see that the game mechanics are sound. Or do you have to research and produce the entire game, play test it, and everything before going to companies that CREATE and not just produce games. Just seems like a lot of wasted time reinventing the wheel. It seems that everyone would benifit for the colaboration of authors, producers, and publishers.

Most of the games Avalon Hill published were either 'in house' or already published. People would self-publish and AH would take that game, re-develop it and publish it. There were exceptions, some people (with good connections) were able to convince the owners to publish their 'idea' and established designers could get an idea published. I suggest making a prototype and start playtesting it. When the game is playing well, take it to a big con and start demo-ing it or take it to a publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
First when I say ‘idea’ I guess I mean something that is a little more in the way of sound mechanics, but lacking in specifics. Second, books are produced from just ideas all the time, I think some of you are mistaking producing and publishing as being one in the same when they are not. Books are produced all the time from ideas, depending on type of book, who is making it, and who is writing it. A book publisher is completely different that one that develops and produces books, think of it more as if someone was writing a diet book he might go to a diet expert who has a PHD and ask him to help write the book. I wouldn’t even associate creating games with writing books, or at least a fully completed book would have cover art and everything, I assume when a publisher accepts a book, the author hasn’t created or bound the book in anyway. I would associate with movies more than books. A movie is a simple script before it is produced. I am not talking about “Hey I have an idea, you guys should make a movie about a dude with a laser sword, fighting a dude in black with a laser sword” I am talking more in the way of say Avalon Hill is sitting on 30 years of research on WWII. If I had an idea for a new WWII game, could I bring my idea to Avalon Hill, and is there a potential that Avalon Hill would collaborate and share research if they see that the game mechanics are sound. Or do you have to research and produce the entire game, play test it, and everything before going to companies that CREATE and not just produce games. Just seems like a lot of wasted time reinventing the wheel. It seems that everyone would benifit for the colaboration of authors, producers, and publishers.

You seem fairly convince that we're wrong and you're right.

So go for it, try contacting companies with your game idea. I doubt you'll get much response from a publisher excited to collaborate with you on turning your idea into a full game.

Good luck with that.

shake

Frankly they're too busy turning down fully designed & playtested games to work with an unknown on an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For that "Shogun: Total War" then here is what you seek: Ikusa ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Or do you have to research and produce the entire game, play test it, and everything before going to companies that CREATE and not just produce games.

You have to create a game first. The company is going to assume you have playtested it. You need to "produce" a playable version of the board and pieces.

If all you have is an idea (or "sound mechanics" which is just an idea, until you have playtested to determine if they are really sound), then you do not have a game, and you do not have anything to approach a game company with.

Like the first response said, ideas are cheap. Nobody will pay you for one.

Quote:
It seems that everyone would benifit for the colaboration of authors, producers, and publishers.

Maybe so, but each of those three things you mention is way past being just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
First when I say ‘idea’ I guess I mean something that is a little more in the way of sound mechanics, but lacking in specifics. Second, books are produced from just ideas all the time, I think some of you are mistaking producing and publishing as being one in the same when they are not. Books are produced all the time from ideas, depending on type of book, who is making it, and who is writing it. A book publisher is completely different that one that develops and produces books, think of it more as if someone was writing a diet book he might go to a diet expert who has a PHD and ask him to help write the book. I wouldn’t even associate creating games with writing books, or at least a fully completed book would have cover art and everything, I assume when a publisher accepts a book, the author hasn’t created or bound the book in anyway.

When an author submits a book to a publisher, they don't just go to a publisher with an idea for a book, they go with a manuscript that needs some editing. Cover art, isbn, etc yes that comes later, but the story, dialog, etc needs to be there.

ryolacap wrote:
I would associate with movies more than books. A movie is a simple script before it is produced. I am not talking about “Hey I have an idea, you guys should make a movie about a dude with a laser sword, fighting a dude in black with a laser sword”

A "simple script"? I'm sure those screenwriters are glad to know that what they do is simple. Even if what you said is true, you don't have a script, you have an idea for a script. Guess what, so do 300 million other people. What is so compelling about your idea that a game publisher should invest time and money into it?

ryolacap wrote:
I am talking more in the way of say Avalon Hill is sitting on 30 years of research on WWII. If I had an idea for a new WWII game, could I bring my idea to Avalon Hill, and is there a potential that Avalon Hill would collaborate and share research if they see that the game mechanics are sound. Or do you have to research and produce the entire game, play test it, and everything before going to companies that CREATE and not just produce games. Just seems like a lot of wasted time reinventing the wheel. It seems that everyone would benifit for the colaboration of authors, producers, and publishers.

Game companies might collaborate with Andreas Seyfarth, but they won't with John Doe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
When an author submits a book to a publisher, they don't just go to a publisher with an idea for a book, they go with a manuscript that needs some editing. Cover art, isbn, etc yes that comes later, but the story, dialog, etc needs to be there.

You forget about manuals/informational books + production companies that use ghost writers + "Cover art, isbn, etc yes that comes later" you are making the point of my question in the first place. I am trying to figure out how developed a game needs to be.

Quote:
You seem fairly convince that we're wrong and you're right.

Yep that's why I asked, WOW!

Quote:
A "simple script"? I'm sure those screenwriters are glad to know that what they do is simple.

Yea, scripts have all the acting, special effects, and sets built right in, hmm last time I looked they were made simply of paper and ink, black and white even, JEEESH!

Quote:
hmm last time I looked they were made simply of paper and ink

Forgive me if I offended any trees or octopi out there.

I don't know. I was trying to describe a well rounded idea for a game system vs. a fully articulated game. And to what extent gaming companies, try to groom something that they see potential in, and how gaming companies function as an entity. Well, that's why I asked, for the ones who were actually helpful with fruitful answers, thank you. For the other who has some type of angst for a guy who wants to ask a question...I blame your mothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am trying to figure out how developed a game needs to be.

Very.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I am trying to figure out how developed a game needs to be.

That depends on the game company. Some publishers are skilled in game development, most are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
For that "Shogun: Total War" then here is what you seek: Samurai Swords

Yes I want that one, I am surprised that one of the other companies haven’t picked that up to 'revise'

When I say total war, I would like to see one that has more unique units, that's why I was saying cards that make up the armies with army markers on the board. You would not just have spear infantry, but could buy sword inf, choosen sword inf, flaxmen, axe men etc, even do units by nation and time period. But the game could be played with the simplicity of A&A, by simply discarding troop cards, the game would be easier to manage troops than A&A but you still get the fun little bits, there is really several ways you could do it. You could do city bits and have cards for them too, allowing you to develop troops and generate income on top of controling map regions. And even leader and general cards. I would think that using cards would make it cheaper to produce than plastic. Anyhow I think it would be fun to try to develop, now that I know to what extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.