• [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there's basically no errata and the rules are unusually clearly written?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree with Shad's assertion.

While this seems like an excellent game, and the rules are very well written, there are still enough ambiguities that a FAQ should be out there, rather than making players search through multiple threads on BGG or consimworld to get an answer!

In my very first play, I've already come across several ambiguities (particularly regarding the exploit battle plan) that required me to hunt down clarifications on random threads here in the BGG rules section.

Exploit ambiguities:
(Can you exploit after one battle to join another battle that hasn't taken place yet?)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/308478
(Can you exploit infinitely? By the way, I play only the "optional rule" on this, as it seems ridiculous to be able to exploit your way across France in one turn.)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/309846

Intel ambiguity:
(Rules say intel takes place before all battle plans, but Ambush says it takes place before all Axis battle plans. So in case of intel vs. ambush, which is it?)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/307976

Press ambiguity:
(Which battle plans stay in effect after the first battle round?)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/307945

And these are only the ones I've encountered in my first two turns of play in the Ghost Division scenario.

Dan Verssen has been very good about answering these questions on various threads, and I appreciate that immensely,

but it would be extremely nice if he could make a FAQ or clarifications list on his site, so that players would not need to scour a dozen threads on BGG or consimworld to figure things out!

I look forward to future games in the Field Commander series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

You're experience is identical to mine, which led to my original question.

I was hesitant to ask because sometimes the answer is 'what's stopping you?'.

I think someone just going thru all the threads and collecting them on one doc would be a very good first start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I did my part above :-).

If games are well supported by their designers/publishers (as DVG games seem to be), it's up to the designer, publisher, or their collaborators to clear up all ambiguities as quickly and as CONCISELY as possible via FAQs or clarification lists. I shelled out my 40$ in good faith that the game is clear and complete!

I've spent enough minutes of my life on this game (with more to come) that I'm not spending any more of it cleaning up unclear rules. I finished the Ghost Division scenario without having to look up anything else.

I am looking forward to buying future field commander games, though the level of support on them will dictate whether or not I consider other DVG games in the future.

A great game in my experience so far, I must say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I'll be updating the DVG site in a couple days, and I'll get the Rommel FAQ started with these.

Thank you for gathering them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Ravenna
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As I mentioned before,

I have been immensely appreciative of Dan Verssen's clarifications on rules issues in the forums here.

I am now even MORE appreciative of his quick resolve to put up a Rommel FAQ on the DVG site.

I have enjoyed every single game I have ever played that he designed, and this Field Commander series looks to be the best solitaire wargame I've played. I have already gotten my money's worth playing the first scenario!

Thanks to Dan for supporting this series so well.

P.S. If you've ever enjoyed a solitaire wargame or are considering trying one, get this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Thank you John!

I think that in the age of the internet, customer support and interaction is vital to a company's success. When a person orders a game, without actually being able to hold it in their hands to examine it, they're putting a great deal of trust in the game company. As a game company we have to do everything we can to live up to that trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.