Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: deleted_user [+] [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Just remember, people will moan and groan that you've gone for about a week. Then they will speak less and less of you till you become a passing comment every year or so. Your content will be replaced by the multitude of other quality submitters, and it will be like you were never here.

On the internet, you are not as special as you think you are.

What you will have lost was the interaction with other gamers all over the world. That deal with "games" and things that are important to "gamers".

But take the internet arguments so seriously that you go off into a huff, Well,

WAHHHHHHHHHH!

Get over it. It's a damn Hobby Site. Not your place of business. It doesn't have to follow the rules you want it to follow.

BGG has the best boardgaming content in the WORLD. Period. That will never change, no matter how many of you babies storm off into a huff.

There will always be new people who will take your place in the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: For people who take thier ball and go home.
You misspelled their in the title. I demand you fix it or I'm deleting this entry from this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
You misspelled their in the title. I demand you fix it or I'm deleting this entry from this thread.

Deleting this entry is just a cop out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Just remember, people will moan and groan that you've gone for about a week. Then they will speak less and less of you till you become a passing comment every year or so. Your content will be replaced by the multitude of other quality submitters, and it will be like you were never here.

On the internet, you are not as special as you think you are.

What you will have lost was the interaction with other gamers all over the world. That deal with "games" and things that are important to "gamers".

But take the internet arguments so seriously that you go off into a huff, Well,

WAHHHHHHHHHH!

Get over it. It's a damn Hobby Site. Not your place of business. It doesn't have to follow the rules you want it to follow.

BGG has the best boardgaming content in the WORLD. Period. That will never change, no matter how many of you babies storm off into a huff.

On the upshot, every time a quality submitter of content leaves, the rest of us get a de-facto boost to our rankings.

It's just sad that so many people have left. But BGG grinds on as strong as ever anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
What was that about whining again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Your content will be replaced by the multitude of other quality submitters,

I'm giving you high points for comedy here. Quality would have to be somewhat redefined to make this statement true.

There are plenty of games that only the most experienced gamers have played. Without those people, the space is replaced by people who have played popularized games, not the rare ones.

Well-versed gamers who have played many games, especially war games, and are willing to spend time to write about it are a rarity.

Sure, BGG can probably go on with discussion of popularized content, but it ultimately loses some of its "long-tail" and slowly becomes filled with troll threads like this one.

Usually when positive community members leave a city because they don't like the conditions, it is rare that the city somehow becomes "better off". It usually results in urban decay.

You keep posting things as if people are storming off in droves. It was one guy who didn't get his way the moment he wanted it and stormed out in a huff. You seriously need to stop taking yourself so seriously, man. The site isn't going to spiral into urban decay because he left. And anyway, if BGG DID end up in urban decay, that would make it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, and that's where people bump into Han Solo, which would MORE than make up for the loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MasterGeek wrote:

You keep posting things as if people are storming off in droves. It was one guy who didn't get his way the moment he wanted it and stormed out in a huff. You seriously need to stop taking yourself so seriously, man. The site isn't going to spiral into urban decay because he left. And anyway, if BGG DID end up in urban decay, that would make it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, and that's where people bump into Han Solo, which would MORE than make up for the loss.

No doubt. I've been here 7 years, and I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many people have "stormed" off this site. Maybe less. We have 200 THOUSAND users now people.

Every year new games get more and more reviews/session reports/Images/Etc. A ton more than the years previously. And I'm not talking second rate stuff here. I can go to the Agricola page alone and count 50 Reviews alone. 50! And a lot or really good ones at that. None of them were written by the people who "stormed" off in a huff. And if they did, 49!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I can go to the Agricola page alone and count 50 Reviews alone. 50! And a lot or really good ones at that. None of them were written by the people who "stormed" off in a huff. And if they did, 49!

Wait! WHAT? 49? UNACCEPTABLE! I can't form an opinion based on 49, I need 50! Screw this place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
The one, the only: GROUCHO! wrote:
You'd better beat it. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:

No doubt. I've been here 7 years, and I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many people have "stormed" off this site. Maybe less. We have 200 THOUSAND users now people.

Every year new games get more and more reviews/session reports/Images/Etc. A ton more than the years previously. And I'm not talking second rate stuff here. I can go to the Agricola page alone and count 50 Reviews alone. 50! And a lot or really good ones at that. None of them were written by the people who "stormed" off in a huff. And if they did, 49!

BGG has 200,000 active users, or does it have 200,000 user accounts?

Quite a difference between the two, I'd bet.

Like I said, popularized games, like Agricola, will get tons of content. Non-popularized stuff won't.

If even one percent of the people using accounts are updating, that's still 2000 people, which will still leave us with a variety of reviews on different games. It will be ok, I promise. Now breathe...count to 10...there you go...

Non-popularized...such as?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said Chapel. I agree completely. Why so serious people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:
No Exit wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:

BGG has 200,000 active users, or does it have 200,000 user accounts?

Quite a difference between the two, I'd bet.

Like I said, popularized games, like Agricola, will get tons of content. Non-popularized stuff won't.

If even one percent of the people using accounts are updating, that's still 2000 people, which will still leave us with a variety of reviews on different games. It will be ok, I promise. Now breathe...count to 10...there you go...

Non-popularized...such as?

Apparently Patrick had a lot of quality content regarding war games. That would probably qualify. Any rare game would probably qualify, if it wasn't particularly popular during its time on the market.

By the way, you needn't write all these bizarre comments as if I'm hyperventilating over here. If you have the chance to read any classic book consisting of more than 400 pages in your lifetime, you'll see that people have had heated discussions for centuries without fear of spontaneously combusting.

The only people that typically come close to the definition of "whiner" are those with such miniscule intellectual capacity that the most they can come up with are statements claiming others are "whiners or babies" for simply standing by their own principles.

I never called you a whiner. And I wasn't afraid you were hyperventilating, unless you're saying you rant on out loud everything you type on a computer, in which case I suppose I would be concerned. As for reading books of more than 400 pages, I can't recall the last time I read a book with under 400 pages...perhaps in elementary school, I may have to check. And I would assume that these "heated discussions" you speak of (of which this thread really isn't, other than on your part) were about something that mattered.

Hey Chapel, check your family tree for any ancestors that came over here and americanized the family name, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MasterGeek wrote:

Hey Chapel, check your family tree for any ancestors that came over here and americanized the family name, would you?

OFF TOPIC:
Nope, it's an English name. My dads adopted father came here from England. Most people say it like "Chappelle", i'm used to it, but it's just like a Church "Chapel".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel, I agree with many of your posts on Chit Chat and RSP (and thumb them appropriately), but I have to say, I'm disappointed in your immaturity with this thread.

If you're trying to get readers to take sides, you're certainly not helping your argument here.

It's pretty clear that Pat's actions don't consist of "whining".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
MasterGeek wrote:

OFF TOPIC:
Nope, it's an English name. My dads adopted father came here from England. Most people say it like "Chappelle", i'm used to it, but it's just like a Church "Chapel".

I've always pronounced it "Chappy-go-lucky."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Chapel, I agree with many of your posts on Chit Chat and RSP (and thumb them appropriately), but I have to say, I'm disappointed in your immaturity with this thread.

If you're trying to get readers to take sides, you're certainly not helping your argument here.

It's pretty clear that Pat's actions don't consist of "whining".

I am not asking anyone here to agree with me. I don't care what anyone "believes". I'm only stating what I've seen in the past, and what is going to happen in the future. And that is nothing significant.

I don't need you to side with me at all. Storming off and taking all your contributions is a babyish thing to do in any format.

Thumbs are not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
That's interesting. I like your interpretation of this bit you've written,

"It will be ok, I promise. Now breathe...count to 10...there you go..."

as something other than saying that I'm not breathing. Maybe you envision me breathing through my fingertips as I type?

Actually, I was referring to you blowing every thread you've stepped into out of proportion and making it out to be the end of the world, chicken little. You see, many people say that when you stop, breathe slowly, counting to 10, you can calm yourself down long enough to keep things in perspective.

No Exit wrote:

So you've given up reading books at all then? That makes sense.

Wow, an attack on my intelligence. How wonderfully original. You never see any of THOSE when someone online freaks out. Oh, my...whatever shall I do? If only I could avoid taking it personally and storming off in a huff.

Wait a minute, this is the internet. There's no reason to let myself be insulted just because some random person calls me a name in a roundabout way. Phew! Crisis averted.

No Exit wrote:

Strong community and administration ethics matter to me for some reason. Some people have principles, others are like lemmings following their leader towards the edge of a cliff.

You mean strong community and administration ethics that are the same as YOURS matter to you for some reason, as anything else seems to not matter at all. As for following the leader, if that's some reference to me being some Chapel fanboy, I'll have to disappoint you there. See, I do stand by my principles. The only difference is I don't say "your principles are different than mine, you're dumb."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:

You're irreplaceable to me Chapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catanarama wrote:
So you're a sock puppet for which disgruntled user here? "New user," my ass.

It's impossible to take a single thing you say seriously; that's pretty much reserved for people who aren't too gutless to post under their original IDs.

I know, his writing style is slightly familiar to me, I just haven't been able to place it yet. Thus, me wasting my time in conversation with him. Curse me and my curiosity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGeek wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I can go to the Agricola page alone and count 50 Reviews alone. 50! And a lot or really good ones at that. None of them were written by the people who "stormed" off in a huff. And if they did, 49!

Wait! WHAT? 49? UNACCEPTABLE! I can't form an opinion based on 49, I need 50! Screw this place!

Yes! Experts agree that 49 opinions are so much chaff in the wind (or sand in your shorts - you choose)
But the 50th one - ahh there's where all knowledge happens....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
MasterGeek wrote:
Catanarama wrote:
So you're a sock puppet for which disgruntled user here? "New user," my ass.

It's impossible to take a single thing you say seriously; that's pretty much reserved for people who aren't too gutless to post under their original IDs.

I know, his writing style is slightly familiar to me, I just haven't been able to place it yet. Thus, me wasting my time in conversation with him. Curse me and my curiosity.

Unlikely to be successful anyway. The trademark trolling moves are all very generic. Perhaps I've already missed it but I'm really expecting a "I'm too busy and important to waste my time here any more, you fools are obviously never going to be able to understand even though I'm making my points in a brilliant manner".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Exit wrote:
Have you actually read any of your own commentary in any thread? Granted it is largely indecipherable, but it has generally proven you can't handle much of a discussion at all. You have a "stop the presses, you're making mountains out of molehills" attitude which would be funny if it weren't so cliched.

Yeah, that's usually a stance I do take when someone makes a mountain out of a molehill. One guy left. Maybe a few others over the years. Nothing at all site-altering. I'd call that a molehill.

No Exit wrote:

That's funny, it struck me as yet another cliched insult from you.

I've got perspective. I enjoy discussing issues. If you don't, that's good for you, I'm certainly not forcing you to read them. The issue does strike me as significant, and I do believe it will have an effect on BGG. I want to be part of that discussion to build a better BGG. That's what perspective is about.

I enjoy discussing issues as well, I'm just not a big ranter. This might be a significant issue if more than a handful of people were freaking out about it. As there isn't, I'd have to say it's not as big a deal as you enjoy making it into.

No Exit wrote:

I didn't really think it was an attack on your intelligence. You just said you don't read books. Regardless, I thought the comment was too strong and deleted it before you responded to the original post.

Well, I didn't notice the comment was deleted. I must have been in the midst of responding when you did so as I quoted it before it was gone. However, I didn't say I don't read. I said I don't remember the last time I read a book with less than 400 pages in it.

No Exit wrote:
I'm glad you figured that out. I don't plan on going anywhere either. Of course Patrick's issue was more significant by a few multiples than the situation you almost had there, but I'm glad you managed to pull yourself from the edge.

I suppose I should have put a smiley on the end to denote sarcasm. I tend to forget that unless you prelude any sarcastic comment with "Now, I'm being sarcastic here..." no one is capable of picking up on it. As for significant, it really isn't. What it boils down to is Patrick said "Do things the way I want them done or I'm leaving," and then he left. Sure, it might have been significant in his head, but that doesn't make it significant.

No Exit wrote:
I think you've flown a little too close to the sun on this one. I'm going to give you the best response I can considering the material you're giving me to work with here.

I'm advocating a position. I don't think anyone is "dumb" for not agreeing with me. I will continue to advocate that position.

I don't particularly care where the administration and ethics actually end up, but it does matter to me to influence them to the best of my ability. I don't believe my interpretation is the only actionable one. I do think I can help influence the direction that leads to the final outcome, whatever it may be.

Kind of a standard definition of public discourse, really. What I'm telling you is that strong ethics and administration matter enough to me that I actually want to make myself heard in hopes that it can influence them.

If they don't matter to you, then you probably wouldn't want to waste so much time lambasting those for whom it does matter. That would really be a waste of time overall, time you could spend doing something that "matters" to you.

This I will apologize for. My comment about "You don't agree with me, you're dumb" that I was speaking of was a reference back to the whole reading issue, which appears to have simply been a misunderstanding on both our parts of what the other was saying.

As for the rest of those quotes, I can understand your position on the issue, and while I don't necessarily agree with them, I can respect them. I may have (between this thread and the other), misunderstood some of what you were saying, but it seemed to me that you weren't being terribly polite to anyone, and it irked me. If you weren't intending some of the things you'd said as rude, then I apologize for being sarcastic at you. It's a trait of mine that won't be going away anytime soon.

However, if you were being rude and just didn't care, then I don't see how you really do care about the issue as nobody is goign to listen to/take seriously someone who yells in their face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Yes...it actually literally would. I breathe in air and breathe our sarcasm, and without the breathing out, one cannot breathe in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MWChapel wrote:
[Maybe less. We have 200 THOUSAND users now people.

Translation: No one individual and no small group of individuals are actually important to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.