11 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Does this set look complete? Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
I just sold a copy of Mayfair Cosmic Encounter on eBay, and the guy who bought it says it is incomplete. I was wondering if anyone could comment on his assessment, based on this photo I took when I listed it. Thanks to anyone who can help.

http://picasaweb.google.com/davidsmontgomery/CosmicEncounter...

Here is what he said:

There is only one reference sheet (should be three) which is not a big problem.

One of the sealed packages of cards appears to come from MORE COSMIC ENCOUNTER instead of this set. As a result there are NO EDICT cards and most the FLARE cards are missing (only 12 for this set when there should be 48). There are also KICKER cards and REINFORCEMENTS which are also from MORE COSMIC ENCOUNTER instead of this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://daveola.com/CosmicEncounter/Components/Mayfair.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for responding. I'm clear on what is supposed to be in there. The question is, does the pack of cards in the photo look like it could be the wrong pack, and are those bigger cards the reference cards he mentioned.

I just want to make sure he isn't scamming me. It was an expensive auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the photo, I see:
Rules
all or part of 3 system hexes
1 power (Vulch from CE)
2 stacks of cards
-"Attack 1"
-some sort of edict (both sets have edicts, albeit different number and type)
1 set of tokens
info describing "Worldships" reverse hex
other text/reference below

From the *photo* there isn't any way to tell if any of the components were from MCE versus the stated CE.

I see the dilemma, e.g. if you take the item back, there is no way to know if the buyer swapped in(relatively cheap) MCE components for the more in demand CE components. So it becomes a "he said, she said" situation-if you know that you sold a complete Mayfair CE, then you'd have to stick to your guns and expect said back in exchange or hold to the original sale (possibly accepting negative feedback w/your follow up comments to that effect).

The portion of the shown edict card is the key-if anyone can identify it from the photo and place it with either CE or MCE that would help resolve matters.

FWIW, the card packs do not appear sealed in the photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
To further complicate things, when I got my (now long gone) CE set in the early '90s, one of the two packs of cards shipped in the box had been accidentally swapped with a pack from MCE. Since CE was in print at the time, I was able to write to Mayfair and get the CE pack I was missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Malachi,

I've noticed that in this photo:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/221475?size=original

The visible end card of one of these MCE packs does look like the end card of one of the packs in my photo.

Maybe they did screw it up at the factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
Davido,

Yeah, that's what I am trying to determine is whether I am getting scammed. The guy has decent feedback. 29 positives over a few years and no negatives.

Also, its hard to tell in the photo, but they are still well sealed in the original cellophane.

Thanks again for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Dennis
msg tools
Hello, I am the fellow who won the auction. I have looked at the link to More Cosmic Encounter packaging and the photo provided of the components and the pack of cards with the writing (instead of the number 1) is the Warpish flare which is indeed from the More Cosmic Encounter set (as seen in the link to those components). Granted the detail is hard to make out but if you zoom on that element, you can see it is the Warpish flare.

~Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UninvitedX wrote:
Hello, I am the fellow who won the auction. I have looked at the link to More Cosmic Encounter packaging and the photo provided of the components and the pack of cards with the writing (instead of the number 1) is the Warpish flare which is indeed from the More Cosmic Encounter set (as seen in the link to those components). Granted the detail is hard to make out but if you zoom on that element, you can see it is the Warpish flare.

~Jay

There's no doubt that is the Warpish flare. There are only two flares in the Mayfair sets that have super powers triggered specifically in the first and third phases (as indicated by the two icons on the bottom of the card): Warpish and Doppelganger. As both of those aliens were introduced in More CE, that is definitely not a CE deck in the picture (it's definitely the Warpish flare, though, as a quick glance at both cards will show--the Doppelganger card has more text than that).

However, I'm a bit confused about this:

UninvitedX wrote:
One of the sealed packages of cards appears to come from MORE COSMIC ENCOUNTER instead of this set. As a result there are NO EDICT cards and most the FLARE cards are missing (only 12 for this set when there should be 48). There are also KICKER cards and REINFORCEMENTS which are also from MORE COSMIC ENCOUNTER instead of this version.

You say there are no edict cards, but both CE and More CE featured edict cards (22 and 10, respectively). Also, why only 12 flares? CE had 48, as you point out, but More CE had 54.

You have some kind of mystery deck on your hands, from the sound of it.

Edit: Of course I realize now that you had two sealed decks in the equation. So, it sounds like you probably got one sealed deck from each Mayfair set, which would explain the odd assortment of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes it seems that there must have been a mistake in the assembly. Now that I have it back in my hands, I can see that the backs of the two card sets are identical in color/brightness/cut etc, indicating to me that they were likely from the same, or very close, print runs. One of the monkeys just put the wrong pack in the box.

The one game I kept unpunched for 20-odd years turned out to be incomplete. Go figure.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Any ideas how I might get a replacement deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
ebay? mayfair probably can't help you now, didn't they quit making/selling it? Though you could call/email to ask if they have any in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.