GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,364 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Congo» Forums » General

Subject: How is it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game rates poorly, even for a chess variant which all lack love here.
Is this game that bad?

I am toying with making a set, is it worth the effort?

There seems like some interesting elements, the monkey jump, crocodile and river, etc

In that it looks fresher than grand chess etc which basically cross pollinate existing chess pieces.

a bit of feedback would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Webber
msg tools
Talisinbear wrote:
The game rates poorly, even for a chess variant which all lack love here.
Is this game that bad?

I am toying with making a set, is it worth the effort?

There seems like some interesting elements, the monkey jump, crocodile and river, etc

In that it looks fresher than grand chess etc which basically cross pollinate existing chess pieces.

a bit of feedback would be appreciated.

I think this is a popular variant because it uses animals for pieces. Thats it. But the game play is flawed. I checked out the forum at http://www.chessvariants.org/index/displayitem.php?itemid=Co..., here is what Mark Thompson had to say:

Quote:
The 'drowning rule' in Congo is original and interesting, but it seems to me that it makes it awfully difficult to get an attack going. If you push a piece into the River, your opponent has the option of immediately making a counterattacking move that needs an immediate defensive response, which forces you to lose the piece in the River. It almost seems as though you're better off waiting for the other player to attack and let him be the one whose pieces drown. Does anyone know just how the good players avoid this problem?

Someone once observed that one of the general problems in designing a good strategy game is figuring out how to force the players to be aggressive, since many games tend to favor passive play unless a mechanism is introduced to force conflict. This makes me suspect that Congo might be a better game if the drowning rule, which seems to discourage conflict, were revised somehow: perhaps, a piece (or at least a Pawn) should be allowed to stay in the River one turn without drowning? Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
Seems to me that this would be a perfectly non-flawed game if pieces did not drown for two turns, instead of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Akenson
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
What if the piece entering the river drowned if it was not able to be rescued by another piece? Meaning: if another friendly piece could reach it, in theory, by a legal move, then it is safe from drowning. A little like the unfreezing of adjacent friendly pieces in Arimaa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.