GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,016 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Zooloretto» Forums » General

Subject: Can Adults Play Zooloretto? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mint car
United States
New York
flag msg tools
hi everybody, i am curious by zooleretto but am intimidated by the box because the art is very child friendly. in other words, if i pull out this game in front of my 30+ year old friends, will they laugh at me or scoff at the game? hehe! is this game better for children and families? would another game be more appropriate for me? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The first time I played this, was with 30+ year old friends (probably not the same people you are playing with, but who knows).

I have Aquaretto, which I just happen to be able to play with my kids, but I have played it as much with grown ups. It's a good strategy game with a nice theme, and it just happens to have kid friendly art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mintcar22 wrote:
hi everybody, i am curious by zooleretto but am intimidated by the box because the art is very child friendly. in other words, if i pull out this game in front of my 30+ year old friends, will they laugh at me or scoff at the game? hehe! is this game better for children and families? would another game be more appropriate for me? thanks!

It is quite a good game for gamers as well as a family.

Your friends may still scoff because it has a panda on the cover, but you know your friends better than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be intimidated...

The first game I played of Zooloretto, I played with my wife.

Then I played (Well, tried to, anyway) with my almost-6 and 4-year old...

Then I played with a full group of 20-30 something guys that comprise my "regular" game group... The only caveat here, though, is that they all are "well-versed" in euro/ameritrash games, and know well not to judge a game by its cover...

Now, if your friends are all video game enthusiasts and fantasy football junkies, your mileage may vary...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well, a bunch of us in our 30s and 40s have played Zooloretto at our game-night gatherings. Aquaretto, too. It looks cute, but it can play rather nasty. cool

---laugh---

---scoff---

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're comfortable sitting in public playing with panda bears and monkeys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed for adults despite the cute theme. Really young children may not appreciate the mechanics; you may have to throw in some simpler rules for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Zooloretto with the same 30-somethings that I play Arkham Horror, Citadels and Through the Desert with. It's all games we play, who can judge it as childish (in a bad way)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 4 and 6 year old but they don't get most of the strategy. They'll often take animals they like because they like them, not because it will help them. The expansions add a lot to this game including the ability to mess with other players. I highly recomend it for older players. We love to play without the kids when we get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto definitely works for mature adults. It is a light strategy game at the same weight roughly as Carcassonne, and just as cut throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Davies
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this with 2 non gamer friends, both 30-ish and had no problems. We played 4 games in a row. 1 of them is a ice hockey player and the other a non-nerd. Both had a ball, they enjoyed Ticket to Ride and Arkadia as well. Go for it, I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto and Ticket to Ride are the games I can play with my older parents (I'm 33 they are a bit older). So in that way its perfect for adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't judge a board game by its box. Age-wise and theme-wise, they're for adults. The box could've been more "adult-approachable", but it's definately for adults. If people scoff, I'd say they're moreso scoffing at boardgaming in general

Hell, Monopoly and Scrabble are rated for ages 8 and up as well, and plenty of adults play those

I'm seeing why they choose these for the box art.

A little cleavage and scantidly clad ladies never turned adults away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically I came to this thread from my Geekmail updates. The previous game I was looking at was "Pimp: The Backhanding" where someone can't play that with his usual gamers... Still, if you're looking for adult games, you could always get in touch with him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mint car
United States
New York
flag msg tools
thanks everybody! i definitely feel more confident about this game now. and i absolutely agree, you shouldn't judge a game by its box. but you have to admit, it's hard not to, especially if you're a newbie laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.