GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Winsome Games 2008 Essen Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Bohrer has "kindly" allowed a retailer to sell the 2008 Essen Package for $135. It consists of:

(1) Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
(2) Preußische Ostbahn
(3) Age of Steam: Texas, Oklahoma & New Mexico Expansion
(4) Wabash Cannonball: Erie Railroad expansion

What is interesting is that the deal is for the package. Thus, if you are only interested in an AOS expansion, tough luck. Alternatively, if you want the two new games and AOS, you also must pay for an expansion to WABASH CANNONBALL -- the original of which is difficult to find.

Talk about bundling. Thanks, but no thanks ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winsome always offers a limited edition bundle of numbered games at Essen. This year they are offering un-numbered copies to buyers outside of Essen. The price is the same for those buyers as it would be if you preordered the limited edition bundle for pickup at Essen. US buyers can order the set from Winsome on their website for $120. I think this is fair.

If you check the Winsome website you will see that the Wabash expansion will be offered separately later. You don't have to pay for the whole bundle if all you want is the expansion.

The angry tone of your post may perhaps be due to not understanding the way Winsome games are traditionally distributed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict a veritable trading frenzy. I got the package through JC Lawrence, and I have no need for the AoS map. Off it goes to the trade pile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your loss.

Given the rarity of most Winsome games you could buy the bundle and then sell the 3 games you arent interested individually and practically get the game for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
You either like Winsome Games enough to pay the price or you don't. Like has been said, you could easily make your money back and then some on the stuff you don't want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:
Mr. Bohrer has "kindly" allowed a retailer to sell the 2008 Essen Package for $135. It consists of:

(1) Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
(2) Preußische Ostbahn

Yeah, how terrible that he has 'kindly' allowed people who can't make it to Essen a chance to get hold of the Winsome game pack this year. Someone should be done about it, right?
Quote:

What is interesting is that the deal is for the package. Thus, if you are only interested in an AOS expansion, tough luck. Alternatively, if you want the two new games and AOS, you also must pay for an expansion to WABASH CANNONBALL -- the original of which is difficult to find.

Not that difficult. I believe Winsome has some copies, and I just received mine from Spielbar. Maybe you didn't see a copy in your local Walmart.
Quote:

Yes, it's a bundle. Winsome has always bundled the Essen Pack, that's why it's called a pack. It is likely that any particularly popular game will get reprinted as Wabash was, for example.

Seriously, what is your problem here?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

(1) Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
(2) Preußische Ostbahn

You're obviously not the target market for this bundle. I, personally, am thrilled to be able to buy them without traveling to Germany and at a much cheaper price than buying them from the secondary market, like I used to.

Wabash Cannonball isn't difficult to find anymore; it was reprinted.

Mr. Bohrer also recognized that some people would only want the Wabash expansion, so he is offering that separately, at a later date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:
Mr. Bohrer has "kindly" allowed a retailer to sell the 2008 Essen Package for $135.

blah blah blah

Like everyone else has said, you're obviously not the target market for this set. Those of us who like Winsome Games' products and obsess over hard-to-find Age of Steam expansions as if they were children lost at sea, we're thrilled that we get an opportunity to get them domestically. Before then, it wasn't just $135; it was also the cost of a trip to Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.