GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Short review of TI 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a review of Twilight Imperium by Fantasy Flight Games.

In reviewing another game (Galactic Emperor), I came back to do a quick, summary review of TI in order to gather my thoughts and compare it to another. This is much shorter than my typical reviews, but gathers the essence of what I think about the game.

Components - 8
Rules Presentation - 7
Gameplay - 10
Personal Tilt - 10
Replayability - 9
Useability - 4

Final Score - 8

Components - Components are excellent in this game. Overall, the large amounts of plastic are wonderful, and the pieces have a nice feel about them. The only problem is with carriers which I almost always feel like I'm about to break in two. The cards are average but there are a LOT of them, and the cardboard is nice and thick. The space tiles, are great and do not slip around the table like many other games that come with hex tiles like this. That's a BIG plus in it's favor.

Overall it scores an 8

Rules Presentation - There are a LOT of rules, and can bog one down in the reading. It is colorful with the same art that illustrated the gamebox, and has some nice examples throughout. Overall, the rules are above average, it's just a hard time remembering them all.

It scores a 7.

Gameplay - This game can be enjoyed by just about anyone, if they have the time. I personally have NO problems with the original way the game was designed, but for those who may have problems (I had one friend who hates the Imperium Rex, as well as anything with the number 1 listed on it in this game...at least until the expansion that is) one can replace certain portions of the game with expansion parts. Even better, you don't even have to buy the expansion, there are options to change the way the game plays to better suited your desires right in the rule book. The game has nice interactivity between players and a low amount of downtime. At the same time, it has multiple ways to win, so one can go for diplomatic, political, Warfare, or many other choices, or combine several to win. There are tons of articles discussing how to play, so I won't go into it that far, but overall, the gameplay seems about perfect.

It scores a 10

Personal Tilt - This is NOT my favorite game. I suppose this shows I am easily won over? Probably not, but even though there are games I rank higher, I would almost never turn down a game of TI. In fact, as long as I have time and someone offers, I would probably play unless they wanted to play a game I rank higher (for example, WotR). I really enjoy it, as does my entire family, which adds to my personal opinion of it. It's one of my wife's top three games, which means we get to play it often enough, and I still love to play.

It scores a 10.

Replayability - This game has so many different options in strategy, as well as how varied the objectives are given out, that it's replayabilty is extremely high. Each game turns out differently for us, and with so many different races and so many different tile placements, as well as different options that pop up on political cards, I can't see it turning into a boring game anytime soon.

It scores a 9

Useability - If TI has one downfall, this is it. You need a long chunk of time to play the game. (This becomes even longer if you play with the expansion rules, or play with options to take out the Imperium Rex, or other facets that speed up play). In addition, there are so many rules that many game groups may not want to play. This is a serious hinderment for those of us that want to play it all the time (namely my wife). It scores below average in this simply due to how long it takes to play, complexity, and how many I can convince to play on a gamenight in the groups I game with due to these considerations (Normally they all say they enjoy it, just they want something shorter).

It scores a 4.

Overall, this is a GREAT game, and one that can be enjoyed by many. It takes a LONG time to play (though compared to some wargames I've played, it's actually quite short, but then I don't think the general gamer is willing to spend as much time playing those games as some others)

It's final score is an 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
In reviewing another game (GE), I came back to

Whenever someone uses an acronym, initials, or some other code name to describe something in a review and they don't explain what the acronym means, I immediately stop reading and move on to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greedo wrote:
GreyLord wrote:

Whenever someone uses an acronym, initials, or some other code name to describe something in a review and they don't explain what the acronym means, I immediately stop reading and move on to something else.

But then take the time to post about it?

I would guess he is referring to Galactic Emperor.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bnorton916 wrote:
Greedo wrote:
GreyLord wrote:

But then take the time to post about it?

I would guess he is referring to Galactic Emperor.

Bill

Yes, I was referring to Galactic Emperor, edited it above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.