GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Tony Archer
Australia
Woori Yallock
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without wanting to make the BGG ranking system resemble pop songs charts, I think it would be helpful to have a highest position reached value beside each game.

This would give a helpful insight into whether a game was more likely highly ranked from hype or substance.

There are a few games I have become interested in because they have slowly been crawling up the charts, suggesting little user disinterest and increasing favor amongst owners (e.g. Vikings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Sodagar
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
The Ragados
badge
Ragados
mbmbmbmbmb
Might also give an idea of if people tire of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has crossed my mind as well. Could there be a graph accessible in the "stats" section for each game charting it's month by month position in the rankings? With maybe a second line charting the increasing number of votes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh... a graph would be nifty. I'm not sure whether you could really draw meaningful conclusions from these things, but it would be really fun. Simple double line graph over time, rating on the left-hand vertical axis, votes on the right-hand vertical axis.

Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ragados wrote:
Might also give an idea of if people tire of the game.

But a game could keep the same rating for years, yet drop in the rakning simply bacause other (new!) games go to occupy postions higher than its own. I wouldn't consider that as "people tiring" of the game.
On the other hand, ratings could be really worsening over time (most likely both things happens); that's why I'm afraid the "previous position" info wouldn't be all that useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Oooh... a graph would be nifty. I'm not sure whether you could really draw meaningful conclusions from these things, but it would be really fun. Simple double line graph over time, rating on the left-hand vertical axis, votes on the right-hand vertical axis.

Great idea.

Although, it might also be nice if the time axis was by month. Maybe two graphs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
On the other hand, a game that slowly and steadily climbs through the ranks, would certainly pique my interest because it would show that it wasn't just the "cult of the new" having that effect.

Brass is the best example for me and I am very happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barkam wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
On the other hand, a game that slowly and steadily climbs through the ranks, would certainly pique my interest because it would show that it wasn't just the "cult of the new" having that effect.

Brass is the best example for me and I am very happy with it.

I also took note of Notre Dame's staying power in the face of successive hype waves, while sister-game The Pillars of the Earth has slipped twenty or so spots in the meantime. Tikal is also a game I've noted for holding position in the 60's while other games (Reef Encounter) plummet.

To make the counterpoint, though, it's only a single indicator. Other games I like quite a bit (Louis XIV) have dropped off markedly. Doesn't change the fact that I think a ranking-over-time graph would be a cool, fun, and somewhat useful feature.

EDIT: PS Brass: Lancashire rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
aPilgrim wrote:
Without wanting to make the BGG ranking system resemble pop songs charts, I think it would be helpful to have a highest position reached value beside each game.

This would give a helpful insight into whether a game was more likely highly ranked from hype or substance.

There are a few games I have become interested in because they have slowly been crawling up the charts, suggesting little user disinterest and increasing favor amongst owners (e.g. Vikings).

Monkey Auto Races was once ranked #1. Hype or substance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like the stock market, where you have the game's current price position, the change from last week's position, the highest position ever held, and the lowest position ever held.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest rank attained would be very useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.