GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pirate King» Forums » General

Subject: Pirate King board fresh out of shrink... and mildewed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a copy from Cardhaus and the back of the board had severe mildew. It didn't look like the game got wet. It looks like it came from the factory this way.

I've seen games with mildew (not from our arid Southwest air, but from other parts of the country), but never out of the shrink with mildew.

Has anyone else had this problem with Pirate King, or is this just a weird isolated incident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rick - your problem with the board doesn't sound unique. At least one other geek reports having a mildewy board (that was replaced by the creator). See this session report: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306474
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbeg wrote:
Rick - your problem with the board doesn't sound unique. At least one other geek reports having a mildewy board (that was replaced by the creator). See this session report: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306474

Thanks. Given the amount of moisture inside the box I thought that it might not be an isolated problem because there wasn't any indication that the moisture came from an external source. The game, components and inside of the box actually felt damp.

I noticed that post was about 5 months ago and they complained of warping and mildew smell. This one is actually a friend's (we placed a combined Cardhaus order to save on shipping) and the board actually had a thick layer of mildew buildup on the interior (when folded) board back.

I wonder if the problem is only growing (literally) with time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
designer
publisher
BGG facilitates the illegal sale of unauthorized copies of games. Due to BGG refusal to prevent such illeagal activities, FlasterVenture will not interact or participate with BGG If you need help or have question please go to www.boardgaming.com
badge
BGG facilitates the illegal sale of unauthorized copies of games. Due to BGG refusal to prevent such illeagal activities, FlasterVenture will not interact or participate with BGG If you need help or have question please go to www.boardgaming.com
The problem you have observed has only been seen in the unauthorized and discontinued old version of the game seen below on the right. This picture should help you and others distinguish the differences between them. Be sure to only purchase the new & authentic version on the left. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
Is the one on the left the exclusive Barnes & Noble version mentioned elsewhere? I was looking at the game on Thought Hammer and the picture they had showed the thick box version. So I'm assuming that version is some "pirated" illegal version and the thin box is the official version?

I've also seen various versions in the image gallery, some with Wizkids type ships and others with flat cardstock.

I'm interested in the game but want to make sure I get the right version and not one that might be moldy.

Also, I checked Barnes & Noble online and they don't have the game listed in their database.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Thought Hammer does indeed have the OFFICIAL "thin box" version. So it is a great place to go purchase Pirate King.

http://www.thoughthammer.com/pirate-king-p-5785.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this a while ago (the first edition) and never opened it for one reason or another. Is there any sort of upgrade program or anything to help move to the new edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave klokner
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Flaster Siskin wrote:
The problem you have observed has only been seen in the unauthorized and discontinued old version of the game seen below on the right. This picture should help you and others distinguish the differences between them. Be sure to only purchase the new & authentic version on the left. Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by the "unauthorized and discontinued old version of the game"? I purchased the 'fat' box version just this weekend, and though my copy wasn't mildewed or moldy it does stink.

Smells like a cross between Duel in the Dark and Nexus Ops gulp

Did we get a pirated arrrh copy or something? Any thing we can do? I want to play it, but just opening the box and checking the components gave me a headache, and I had to wash my hands pretty thoroughly to remove the smell when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like he answered here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357151

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shockey
United States
Arbutus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have 2 copies of the new Titan with the same problem. It is actually a problem caused by the printer. After the press sheets are laminated onto the chip board they are supposed to be kiln dried. Many games are now printed in Mexico and China (thanks NAFTA for putting me out if a job) and they tend to skip this step. Thus, components are going into the boxes and getting shrinkwrapped while they are STILL WET! The result can range from light mildew to nasty black mold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.