Popular Tags: nomenclature [+] [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a little odd that this games is listed under the US variant name Clue rather than the original British Cluedo (a pun on Ludo). Is the US-published named by default applied consistently, even when there game originated in another English speaking country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
thepackrat wrote:
It seems a little odd that this games is listed under the US variant name Clue rather than the original British Cluedo (a pun on Ludo). Is the US-published named by default applied consistently, even when there game originated in another English speaking country?

I think it should be. It is, afterall, a US website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as there were people who couldn't find Manoeuvre because it was spelled correctly, I don't think we should strain them any more... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Searching for variant names works perfecly well, this is about the name that's displayed at the top of the game page. Having said that, if your search matches a variant name, it would be really really nice if the multi-results page highlighted what was matched. (try searching for 'ludo' for example)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the general impression from perusing the BGG that they tended to use the most popular or best known name of a game when there were multiple variants floating around. Clue/Cluedo being one of the more visible examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly in using 'Clue' they aren't using original or most sensible.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

He didn't say they were. He said "most popular" or "most well known", and as has been pointed out, since this is a US-based website, the US-based name is probably the most applicable choice.

I thought there was a way that you could have a game's "variant name" appear as the default for individual users, though? Maybe that was just a "wish list" item, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

He didn't say they were. He said "most popular" or "most well known",

And this is precisely why I was agreeing with him.

Quote:
and as has been pointed out, since this is a US-based website, the US-based name is probably the most applicable choice.

Ah, cultural imperialism. An excellent way to make friends across the world. You invented the web too, right?

Quote:

I thought there was a way that you could have a game's "variant name" appear as the default for individual users, though? Maybe that was just a "wish list" item, though.

Probably unreasonable of people to edit the names displayed for a game before they actually search for it and get puzzling results (because there is no way to tell you matched a variant name)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, why don't we change the entry to "Chess" to "Chaturanga", and "Tic Tac Toe" to "Noughts and Crosses"?

I think the point is, I'm guessing a large portion (maybe even a majority) of people on the site know the game as "Clue", despite it's origins.

Quote:
Quote:
and as has been pointed out, since this is a US-based website, the US-based name is probably the most applicable choice.

Ah, cultural imperialism. An excellent way to make friends across the world. You invented the web too, right?

Nope, "we" didn't invent it, AL GORE invented it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
--------------------------------
Ok, why don't we change the entry to "Chess" to "Chaturanga", and "Tic Tac Toe" to "Noughts and Crosses"?
--------------------------------

I rather enjoyed Naughts and Crosses...
Where I grew up the terms were interchangeable. So when someone says "Noughts and Crosses" I know what they are referring to.

Also good for suckering the unsuspecting in for a game session with an exotic sounding game... heh-heh.

"Hey want to play this Euopean game called Naughts & Crosses?"
"oooh? Sure? Sounds interesting."
Ok. First we draw the game bloard, its made up of a 3x3 grid composes of 2 lines each for ease of construction."
"Ok? hmmm. That looks awefully famillar."
Next one side takes the Naughts and the other takes the Crosses. Naughts are a single circle and Crosses are a X-like figure. We take turns placing them on the board and...
"HAY wait a minute!"

Just replace "Noughts and Crosses" with "Cleudo". Works every time.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ok, why don't we change the entry to "Chess" to "Chaturanga"

Because the rules and pieces are different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone knows these 'facts' have a liberal bias. He speaks from the gut!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Ok, why don't we change the entry to "Chess" to "Chaturanga"

Because the rules and pieces are different?

Not really all THAT different, from what I can tell. Chess is just the evolution of the former.

But if you want to get technical then, why not call it "Western Chess", as "Chess" refers to more than one game.

The point is, that's what people call it. The origins of where it CAME from are irrelevant to what it's known as today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Everyone knows these 'facts' have a liberal bias. He speaks from the gut!

I'm not quite sure what specifically this comment is referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
It seems a little odd that this games is listed under the US variant name Clue rather than the original British Cluedo (a pun on Ludo).

Because if we went by Cluedo, then we have to change Pachisi to Ludo - and everyone knows that would just be plain silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
However it does seem completely barmy that the basic game in the 'Cluedo' family is referred to by it's alternative name 'Clue', not it's correct, original name, 'Cluedo'.

I can see that when a game's original name is in German, for example, that the English translation be used as the primary name on the site, given that the main language of the site is English.

But when the original name of a game is in English, then the name given to it by it's original designers (whether British, American, Australian, or whatever) should surely be the Primary name on the Geek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryces wrote:
However it does seem completely barmy that the basic game in the 'Cluedo' family is referred to by it's alternative name 'Clue', not it's correct, original name, 'Cluedo'.

Oddly enough, given your flag, you seem to have missed some of the finer points of cultural imperialism.

Yes, in this case calling it 'Clue' is silly.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Wikipedia, the game was first officially published simultaneously as Clue and Cluedo (depending on geography).

Although there's no dispute it was originally "invented" under the name Cluedo, I think the above point makes it just as valid to consider "Clue" just as proper of a name.

Many games were invented with different names... but the official publishing of a game seems like a fair guide as to what the "real" and "original" name is, in general.

Assuming of course, Wikipedia is correct in all of this.

And Cluedo really is a horrendous name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
According to Wikipedia, the game was first officially published simultaneously as Clue and Cluedo (depending on geography).

Although there's no dispute it was originally "invented" under the name Cluedo, I think the above point makes it just as valid to consider "Clue" just as proper of a name.

Many games were invented with different names... but the official publishing of a game seems like a fair guide as to what the "real" and "original" name is, in general.

Assuming of course, Wikipedia is correct in all of this.

And Cluedo really is a horrendous name.

It's a terrific name, and Wikipedia mentions that it was immediately licensed upon being finally produced post-war, not that it was immediately published. Further, it had been known by the proper name for some years before that.

Clue, it is not.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

I think it should be. It is, afterall, a US website. :D

:thumbsup:

Seriously, it would make sense to use the US name for any game where this is a problem. The response above may have been somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but this IS a US site and the overwhelming majority of users, if they were inclined to purchase the game, would see it in their local Wal*Mart as "Clue" and wouldn't know what the hell "Cluedo" (clue-dough?) is anymore than they'd know what a Geek-dew is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I went into my daughter's 3rd grade class EVERYONE of them would know Clue, not one of them (including my daughter) would have a 'clue' what cluedo was.

While this site is getting 'multi-national', I wouldn't go into a European based site even in English and want them to change something like 'Maths Trade' to 'Math Trade'. Man Maths sounds so silly doesn't it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Seriously, it would make sense to use the US name for any game where this is a problem. The response above may have been somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but this IS a US site and the overwhelming majority of users, if they were inclined to purchase the game, would see it in their local Wal*Mart as "Clue" and wouldn't know what the hell "Cluedo" (clue-dough?) is anymore than they'd know what a Geek-dew is.

Yes, I think this neatly sums up the problem.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general the BGG has used a games original name based on its country of origin where applicable or appropriate.

Cluedo, while sounding a little off, does seem to be this games original name. If its called Clue only un the US and about everywhere else knows it as Cluedo. Then Yes, it should be listed on the BGG as Cluedo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't even know how to pronounce Cluedo. Having spent time in Spain, I thought it was the spanish pronunciation. Like clu-EH-doe. Is it just Clue-doh?

Or does it rhyme with Geekdo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I don't even know how to pronounce Cluedo. Having spent time in Spain, I thought it was the spanish pronunciation. Like clu-EH-doe. Is it just Clue-doh?

Or does it rhyme with Geekdo?

How do you pronounce Geekdo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.