GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: Collectible Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Help? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do I start with this game? I'm *thouroughly* confused, but as a Arkham Horror fan I'm considering playing this - but I'm not sure what's going on. I heard the game completely changed, it was original random, now its not. I think I like that more (random just gives advantages to those with money), but I still don't know where to begin. Can someone help me - what decks are already out? What CAN'T we use? Is the game just being released in 'sets?'

Also, can you play with just 2 players? Can you get a 'beginners' set? Any help would be nice! Finally - is the new game expensive? Or can I already pick up all the cards that have been released fairly easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for the new game to get out then spend the 30$ ish bucks on the set. The retail on it is $40 bucks for the entire set, which will be plenty, and you should be able to find it online for around $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, the new "Living Card game" Cthulu card game isn't out yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asylum Packs have been coming out for the LCG, but these are smaller chunks of cards. You'll want to start in on the actual base set though and that's what the other poster is talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me try helping you out a bit ...
The game led it's life through a couple of base sets (Arkham edition and Eldritch edition) and their expansions, but (considered by many to be too niche product) it's sales in the end weren't enough to continue with the support for it. FFG had two choices; to call it a day or to change the sales/packaging policy of the game itself, which they did. They presented the idea of "Asylum packs"; decks of cards with fixed content. These became quite a hit, proving the FFG's philosophy correct. All things led to conclusion, that for better or for worse, the game will start somewhat anew, with the upcoming core (starter) box, followed by the (bi)monthly released Asylum packs of 40 cards each. The gameplay has not changed, although the starter box will contain some kind of "board game" for easier (or presumably better looking) reference, as the idea was, to keep the old cards compatible. They have, however, changed the card backs of the new set and made the new cards white-bordered, which FFG stated is to make the new cards more easily distinguishable from the old ones for the newcommers. So as thing are now, all of the older cards are usable (apart from a few presumably game-braking cards, that are banned from the tournament play), but it won't be so easy to get them all, as the cardpool out there is quite large.
I'd suggest looking for the Arkham edition or Eldritch edition Premium Starter Sets; they contain two decks each, and are preconstructed for two players, to learn the game (the game is in the essence a two-player game, but has the multiplayer option). I got into the game by purchasing the Eldritch edition Starter deck, one Asylum pack and a good number of commons for the cost of postage alone (by a kind chap from the official forum), which gave me enough cards to give it a try - making a few playable decks. The game isn't expensive to get into, especially if you're not aiming at the tournament scene from the get-go (I would suggest waiting here a bit to see how the meta evolves with the outcome of the new core set) and staying competitive (or "updated") later on should be cheaper than it used to be, now with the fixed price per month to get the whole playset of cards. And as I've mentioned; with a little search you should find a long-time fan, who has a big number of commons he'd be happy to part with for a small price, for the sake of getting new people into the game - the community is quite capital.
My reply to you is far from structured, but I tried to follow your post (which is not to say your post is not structured, it's just shorter ). I hope you'll find it helpful but if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

May I also suggest checking here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/290578 for more info on the change of format (to LCG) and of course at the source, here http://www.cthulhulcg.com/ where you'll find "LCG: A Player's Guide" and on the Forums (same site), where others have asked the same question along the lines of "Where should I start".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.