GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Runebound or Talisman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am looking at both these games, but want the one which is less involved. I want the play to be somewhat streamlined and not so much to keep track of. I hate to have piles of cards and scores of markers to keep track of. Looking at the photos here on BGG, it looks like Talisman is the one I want, but I am not sure.

For those of you who have played both games, which game is the one I want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure that you even want this genre of game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I have heard about Runebound though from Scott Nicholson (sp? sorry) is that Runebound's movement is done by terrain which to me I guess might make the game more cumbersome. You need X terrain dice rolls to move on X terrain, but you also happen to roll X amount for Y or Z aswell, then you rack your brain deciding X Y or Z. At least that was my impression.

I have played only Talisman so I will speak a bit about that. In Talisman you roll to move, but you can choose whether you want to move clockwise or anti-clockwise. In this way, you have some freedom from simply roll and move, but not a whole lot more. More than you would initially think though since you might be trying to get to a specific location. It's a lot less roll and move than a standard roll to move game in terms of choices. Another thing I like about Talisman is that a 5yr old could understand it. It's very simple. The game is very well balanced and tried and true for 30 odd years.

I really love Talisman. Whenever I think of a game to play (I'm mostly a eurogamer *shock*) I think of Talisman 1st. It's very unlike most american games (tons of chrome). Very little chrome to that one, almost euro in a way. Prophecy is more euro but again I have not played that one yet.

You asked about the main differences and aside from moving there isn't much I could tell you. One other thing that maybe be important is that runebound is hexes so you should maybe read up on that more. It makes a big difference in terms of your map.

In addition I think posting just to call someone ignorant is a waste of ink

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Daniel- it still looks like Talisman is the game I want. The simplicity you are mentioning is just what I am looking for.

And yes, I am sure I want to give this kind of game a try. Why not try something new? Nothing wrong with shaking things up a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Prophecy? [url]?
This features a quick look on Talisman and Runebound aswell:
http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?cat=4[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Talisman is very simple but engaging. I have the 3rd edition, I bought it when I was a kid and I love it though I never managed to finish the game. We used to play with about 7 players and noone was able to kill the others when he reached the Crown. It's a fun game but it can take a very long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Volnon.

I've played both games quite a bit. Unfortunately they both have a lot of cards to keep track of, each with its own ability to modify the state of your character. If I had to choose, I'd say Runebound has slightly fewer, but not by much. In both games, your character's "power level" is more a function of the cards they've collected than their stats, especially near the end of the game. If you like the fantasy theme, you really can't go wrong with either one as long as you have people to play with.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Talisman.

For a solo game, Runebound is pretty good.

For more than three players, Runebound is unplayable.

For two or three players, both have their points, but I think Talisman plays quicker, has more variety in encounters and is more engaging. It's probably more random as well, but that doesn't bother me that much.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone- I believe I will go with Talisman, for the reasons all of you have listed, as well as the fact that FFG is going to be coming out with a new, fancier version later in 2008 or early 2009.

Thanks again, and happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the new World of Warcraft Adventure Game is basically like Talisman with more encounters, fun abilities, and more interesting combat. Instead of moving exactly the number of spaces like in Talisman, you move up to the number you rolled, plus the die face rolled also gives you an amount of energy to spend that round (1, 2 or 3) on ability cards in your hand. The ability cards really make all the difference in your success, and I like the way the game lets you feel like you're developing your character with them.

I will say I own Talisman, WOW: The Adventure Game, and Prophecy. While I like Talisman a lot, I will admit that WOW and Prophecy are better implementations of the original idea.

Also, WOW: TAG does not have that many markers to keep track of, just wounds and encounters, which you can use to help yourself or hinder your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW was not even a game I had considered- thanks for the input, j.green. I will look into this game before I make a decision- the fewer number of items to keep track of DOES interest me.

Happy adventuring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
WoW was not even a game I had considered- thanks for the input, j.green. I will look into this game before I make a decision- the fewer number of items to keep track of DOES interest me.

Happy adventuring!

You do have a hand of ability cards - I'd rate WoW:tAG as more complex than Talisman and Runebound, although still not that complex. It does a bunch of nice things, though I have to play it more before I really rate it above Talisman.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More food for thought. Looks like Talisman is still in the running. As I said before, the new version by FFG (available in the very near future) does make it sound pretty appealing.

I will continue looking at all 3 games online before I actually order one of them, of course.

Thanks for the added comment, Merric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANother thing I had forgotten to mention is that you may wish to go ahead and purchase Talisman now because FF announced an upgrade kit to the old-er version from Black Industries. The Black Industries version is very pretty and there isn't much wrong with it.

The cards will be replaced (the cards in Black Industry's version is sub-standard) and some minis added, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard the Black Industries version was very nice, but without plastic minis. I do love my plastic minis.

I could get the game now and order the upgrade later- I have heard they were going to sell upgrade boxes for 15-20 dollars.

I am sure most of what is in the game will be used anyway- and I might end up saving a few bucks (some places are selling the 4th edition cheaper to get rid of them for the FFG version).

Thanks Daniel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.