GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: What are the chances? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Timothy (me) and Kelly (my wife).

This game was nuts.

Kelly was doing a rare elements strategy utilizing Alpha Centauri and Mining Conglomerate and building as many production worlds as possible. She had the Merchant Guild in her hand and set out to maximize its value. Early on, she built a Replicant Robots which helped her get six worlds built during the game, 5 of them production worlds. She also had 4 cards with consume abilities that brought her VP chips.

Timothy started off with New Sparta (which has become a running joke because, by random draw, he starts with New Sparta nearly every time we play together). From there, he worked at building military power so that he could get the (7) and (3) rebel worlds from his hand built. Using Malevolent Lifeforms and Rebel Warrior Race, he gained income when needed. These cards were also used with Galactic Trendsetters and Epsilon Eridani to bring in VP chips, especially when used with Trade (2xVPs).

Scoring looked like this:
Developments
- Kelly 7
- Timothy 5
Worlds
- Kelly: 20
- Timothy: 20
VP chips
- Kelly: 8
- Timothy: 11

SUBTOTAL
- Kelly: 35
- Timothy: 36

Then we added our 6-cost developments. Kelly had Merchant Guild which brought her 10 points. Timothy had New Galactic Order which brought him 9 points.

TOTAL
- Kelly: 45
- Timothy: 45

Both of us had three cards in our hands and no cards on our production worlds. It was an absolute tie. That's never happened for us and we can't imagine how likely it is this will happen again. We were pleasantly astonished to see that with our totally different strategies and cards, we came out even. I love ties, so this was a special play for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, cool game!

Thanks for posting about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiousity, what were the final round action and (if any) build selections?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Quote:
What are the chances?

FWIW, I've hit the case once in 808 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:

I've had two players exactly tie for the win once in ~275 games. But in the majority of those games (as with Joe, I imagine) I've played much more than my opponents, so that probably understates how often it should happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Out of curiousity, what were the final round action and (if any) build selections?

On the final round, I think we both played Develop. Kelly built the 6-cost Merchant Guild. I built the 6-cost New Galactic Order. Coming into the last round, Kelly had 11 cards and I had 10. I knew she could end it. I knew she had a hand full of cards. We were both really eager to get our 6-cost developments played, and this was the time we both knew we needed to play them. With the help of Investment Credits I built my card for 4, leaving me 3 in hand. She paid 5 cards to put in her 6-cost card, leaving her with 2 in hand. But she had Public Works in her tableau, which allowed her to draw a card after developing, bringing her hand up to 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:

Cool! Thanks for the response, Joe. I certainly appreciate someone with your RftG experience giving feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
huber wrote:

I've had two players exactly tie for the win once in ~275 games. But in the majority of those games (as with Joe, I imagine) I've played much more than my opponents, so that probably understates how often it should happen.

Yours and Joe's feedback are interesting. One of the things I've always liked about San Juan is just how close scores tend to be at the end of the game. So far, in my limited RftG experience, final scores are usually around 4-9 points in difference (I've only played 2P so far). Although, my wife once beat me by 31 points - that was just sad.

Do you all find that RftG has close scores usually? Does it differ with 2 or 3-4?

I love games with close scores and tie potential. Once, when we did a 3P play of San Juan with my buddies at work, we all tied with like 31 points or something. That's my favorite way to end a game. Everyone goes home satisfied. I think close scores also make losses more minor in the eyes of the loser, and it makes playing "another one" all the easier. When you only lose by 3 points, you're ready to give it another go. If you lose a game by say 57 points, you're more likely to want to switch to a different game. Do you agree or am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimothyP wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

On the final round, I think we both played Develop. Kelly built the 6-cost Merchant Guild. I built the 6-cost New Galactic Order. Coming into the last round, Kelly had 11 cards and I had 10. I knew she could end it. I knew she had a hand full of cards. We were both really eager to get our 6-cost developments played, and this was the time we both knew we needed to play them. With the help of Investment Credits I built my card for 4, leaving me 3 in hand. She paid 5 cards to put in her 6-cost card, leaving her with 2 in hand. But she had Public Works in her tableau, which allowed her to draw a card after developing, bringing her hand up to 3 cards.

Kelly had 11 cards at the start of the last round?

That shouldn't be possible, because at the end of each round you have to discard down to 10 cards. On the other hand, the maths doesn't work on your figures: Neither does 10-5=3 nor does 11-6=2. Maybe I'm missing somehthing here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Kelly had 11 cards at the start of the last round?

That shouldn't be possible, because at the end of each round you have to discard down to 10 cards. On the other hand, the maths doesn't work on your figures: Neither does 10-5=3 nor does 11-6=2. Maybe I'm missing somehthing here...

I think he meant 10 and 11 cards in play, not cards in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that would make a lot of sense.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
I think he meant 10 and 11 cards in play, not cards in hand.

That's correct. Those were the cards we had in our tableaus. Sorry for the confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. In my limited RftG experience I've only seen a tie on points once, never mind a tie on the tie-breaker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Asmussen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually tied completely my FIRST game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, I tied a game last night on 26 points and two cards.

It was a four player game, and I went as quickly as possibly through developments to speed the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a bit over a dozen 2 player games a couple of weeks ago, including one draw, and one 65 to 59 win. (Yes, we were using only 24 VP chits to trigger the end of game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a tie last night too - 3 player, two of use ended with 30 points and 1 card in hand (the third player had 26). As far as I remember this is the first absolute tie we've had though, having played about 30 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Bankler wrote:
huber wrote:

Hmmm....

Interesting question. A _lot_ of the plays have come two player with Mike Kagen, who has played approximately as much as I have. And even the other folks I play with at lunch have hundreds of plays under their belts; they've all at the point where the learning curve begins to level off, or beyond. Plus most of my plays of the game before publication were with Tom's group.

So no, I don't believe that the majority of my games haven't been with folks I've played much more than.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight we played and had another tie - but it was broken. Below, I've pasted the text from the commentary I wrote when recording the play:

The whole game, it looked like Kelly had a clear lead, putting in lots of military power and big worlds while Timothy slapped down small developments.

At the end of the game, in the last round, Timothy was able to place one last development and one last world, and both players accomplished 12 cards built.

After initial scoring, Kelly had 30 and Timothy had 24. Then we added the 6-cost devs. Kelly had Pan-Galactic League for 13 VPs. Timothy had New Galactic Order for 12 VPs and Alien Tech Institute for 7 VPs. This brought both of us to 43 points - a tie!

Kelly had more cards in hand, and 3 goods in place. Timothy had no goods in place and couldn't compete, so the victory went to Kelly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.