GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: An Olympian feat! OK, not really, but it was fun. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devan Mellott
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a game between me and my friend Greg using all existing expansions. It was a 6 platter map with 1 Ancient platter (Colossus), 1 Colonial platter (Silver Country), 3 Modern platters (Par 4, Parking Space, South Pacific), 1 Future platter (Skim Mine) and all special keys except the Field of Honor and Lith Strategica. The Colossus platter was sticking out by itself with the Ruins of Cany XII the only adventure key touching it. Since that platter is a quagmire of woods and swamps and the ruined Colossus obstacle, it would become the obvious area for banishments throughout the game. As usual, when we play this game, we don't set a time limit in advance. At some point in the game we will usually say 2 or 3 more turns left.

Greg (Team White): Tanika (The Young Heroine), A Pile of Weewaks (The Horde), The Weinstein Bros. (The Tinkerers), Damon Raven (The Techno Punk), Wilder (The Guerilla), Martians (The Little Green Men), Ian Welsh (The Secret Agent), Rizzik The Red (The Wizard).

Me (Team Black): El Cid (The Tragic Hero), Genghis Khan (The Tyrant), Spartacus (The Gladiator), Little Shaun (The Ironman), Lyrra Swan (The Time Agent), Kit Carson (The Scout), Sandman (The Urban Legend), Grok (The Brute).

I started out by sending everybody I could toward the Royal Tournament. I had 5 of the challenges marked in black by the time Greg got his first guy over there. He failed in his one attempt and I had 4 guys moving in to make sure I finished it off, which I did on the next turn. (needing only 7 total challenge attempts to complete it). My reward for the nearly Phelpsian feat of sweeping the Olymp....err sweeping the Royal Tournament? The services of Sir Bodkin the Prudent (The Coward). Hmm, not quite a pile of gold medals there, but it gave me the numbers advantage, so I didn't complain too loudly. In the meantime, Greg had advanced the Modern and Future Labyrinths twice each, and visited his vault, so had a few cards while I still had none.

After finishing off the Royal Tournament, I had Sandman, Little Shaun and Kit Carson sitting there with no more events to try. Kit Carson went towards the Lith Alliance key while the other two headed towards The Weinstein Bros. who were heading up the slope of a nearby plateau. They whipped out the Redlined Blister Cannon and did an OpFire attack that caught both the Sandman and Little Shaun in it's blast. Sandman was unharmed, but Little Shaun lost 6 of his 7 life. On the next turn Greg decided he would keep the Weinstein Bros. there and just fire the Blister Cannon again, since it was an area attack weapon and both of my guys were in the same hex. He shot at the Sandman first and rolled a 12, so the cannon was toast. But the shot also killed Little Shaun. After removing the character token, I glanced at the freshly discarded cannon and noticed that it had an OpFire rating of 0. He couldn't have taken that OpFire attack last round! After a few loud cries of "CHEATER!!!" and other good-natured ribbings, Little Shaun was returned to life (but still having six wounds from the successful Fire attack that round). On my next move, the Sandman and Little Shaun caught up with The Weinstein Bros. for some melee action. The Sandman easily hit, but the Weinsteins rolled an amaze on their Wits roll and took no damage. Little Shaun did come through by putting a wound on them. After that the Weinstein Bros. were able to outrun my slower guys and made their way into the Ancient Labryinth. Genghis Khan caught up with him in there, but a Fopped damage roll allowed the pesky Tinkerers to get away.

Elsewhere, Greg had run his Future Labyrinth marker up 5 spaces and the Modern one up to 4 spaces, while I only had 1 in each. He also killed off Lyrra Swan with an OpFire shot from Damon Raven (evening up the number of characters) and had tested Tanika in 4 of her untested stats, getting 3 of them to Green and 1 to Yellow. I had Spartacus try to take down Wilder, but my first attempt was an OpFire attack where I broke the only weapon I had picked up at that point. The next attempt was a successful melee attack, only to Fopp another damage roll. A couple turns later, I had Little Shaun roll an Amaze on his Hit roll against The Martians (which would add +3 to the damage), but again Fopped the damage roll so the +3 damage was wasted. That same turn Spartacus redeemed himself by catching up with Wilder and nailing the double-amaze, putting 3 wounds on Wilder and sending him to the prison, at least temporarily retaking the character advantage.

Damon Raven and the Secret Agent tried to sneak their way into my team base to rescue their captive comrade, but by that time we had decided that the game would end soon. In those last few turns, I managed to bring my Future marker up to within one space of Greg's and the Modern to within 2. On my last turn of the game, I failed attempts in the Future Labyrinth and The Ruins of Cany XII which would have taken away 2 of Greg's victory points, but it was not meant to be.

Final Score
Future Labyrinth - Greg (6-5)
Modern Labyrinth - Greg (5-3)
Colonial Labyrinth - Greg (2-0)
Ancient Labyrinth - Me (3-1)
Lith Alliance - tied (1-1)
Royal Tournament - Me (sealed)
Mercenary Camp - Greg (3-0)
Ruins of Cany XII - Greg (2-1)
# of characters - Me (8-7)

Greg - 5 pts
Me - 3 pts

As usual, it was another fun game. I almost always try to lock up the Royal Tournament, but this is only the second time I've actually done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the neat session report! Fun to read. Just a quite note from someone who knows DoA inside and out - you used too many platters.

Now, I know - to each his/her own - but I really feel like the optimal ratio of characters to platters is 4.5 characters/platter. This gives you a nice busy board all the way through with many areas hotly contested and lots of opportunities for tactical area control and lines of Fire/OpFire.

So, if you play with 6 platters: 6 x 4.5 = 27 = 13 characters per team.
If you play with 5 platters, 11 per team.
With 4 platters (my favorite), 9 per team.

You played with 16 characters (8 per team) over 6 platters, for a total density of 16/6 = 2.67.

Heck, I've even played in some games (over cyberboard) where we played 12 per team on 4 platters, for a total density of 6.0. That's madness, I tell you! Stacks of danger around every turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
Now, I know - to each his/her own - but I really feel like the optimal ratio of characters to platters is 4.5 characters/platter.

Doesn't the first statement contradict the second one? If it's a matter of personal preference, then there isn't an "optimal ratio".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if read literally, then yes. The tone of my post was meant to be a suggestion based on well over 100 plays of Duel of Ages, including convention demos, etc. The rulebook (Masters Addendum) gives a range of sizes and for a "Huge" game including 6 platters, it says "12-14 characters per team. This is in line with my suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.