GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Colosseum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Auction - initiate bid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F6 Garfield
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know it's been asked and answered before but I don't get it.

basic rules
If you have won an auction, you are not allowed to bid again in this round. As initiating an auction is actually a bid of eight you can also not initiate an auction this round.
The spirit of the rule is that each player has a chance to walk away with a set of extra asset tokens. But in my experience this is completly the opposite and the basic rules are far more damaging then the intense auction variant.

4 players at start of autcion phase
player A: 8 gold
player B: 12 gold
player C: 10 gold
player D: 11 gold

player A starts initiating an auction .. 8 gold
player B bids 11 gold .. wins (no one can over bid him)

player B can not initiate an acution (has just won one)

player C initiates auction: bid 10 gold
player D bids 11 gold -> wins

player D can not initiate an auction .. has just won.

result: player A and player C can not buy asset tokens.

In my last session I had this happen twice in a row to me with results in a game that when you're down you're even pushed further down ... you lose an asset token at the end of your event and you can not buy new ones .. twice in row .. practically game over ..

So either we play it wrong or something is wrong in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing it wrong.

Player A continues to initiate auctions until he wins one or chooses to pass. Then the markets are refilled and the next suitable player kicks off an auction. So to use your example:

Player A starts initiating an auction .. 8 gold
Player B bids 11 gold .. wins

Player A starts a new auction with one of the remaining four markets .. 8 gold
No one else bids so Player A wins

Markets are refilled.

Player B cannot initiate an auction so it moves on to Player C.

Player C initiates auction: bid 10 gold
player D bids 11 gold -> wins

Player C can now essentially buy one of the remaining four markets for 8 gold as no one else is able to bid.

Every player is guaranteed to get exactly one set of asset tokens as long as he doesn't pass when it is his turn to initiate an auction.

Edit: expanded example and corrected spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F6 Garfield
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you ... this makes more sense as base rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you pass?

I have played this game twice and am always annoyed when I have to (?) initiate an auction when there is nothing that I want available. If you pass, is there a chance of better lots being drawn from the bag, that you can then bid on later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

I have played this game twice and am always annoyed when I have to (?) initiate an auction when there is nothing that I want available. If you pass, is there a chance of better lots being drawn from the bag, that you can then bid on later?

If you pass your opportunity to initiate a bid, that is exactly what happens, you pass on ability to start any auctions and do not get it back this turn. You may still bid on auctions initiated by players afterward. See page 5 (V) of the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

If you pass your opportunity to initiate a bid, that is exactly what happens, you pass on ability to start any auctions and do not get it back this turn. You may still bid on auctions initiated by players afterward. See page 5 (V) of the rule book.

So supposing I am going first, and there's no lots that interest me (say I desperately need a ship and there are none), so I pass on my chance to initiate, then I fail to win any auctions initiated by other players (which may result in new lots being added to the auction), I am not allowed to initiate a final auction even if I am the only person left?

This is the problem I had with the game, the auction draw can really screw you if the thing you want is just not there.

I suppose you could try to grab something someone else needs even more desperately and then try to do a trade with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I suppose you could try to grab something someone else needs even more desperately and then try to do a trade with them?

Yes, that or look very carefully at what everyone else has, and initiate an auction on something that you're sure someone else wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.