GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Free Trader» Forums » General

Subject: Elite computer game (somewhat off-topic) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game gets compared to the computer game Elite a lot and after downloading and reading the rules, I can see why.

I am dating myself, but I played a LOT of Elite on the Commodore 64.

It was a great game but the other thing I think of when I think of Elite is the crazy copy protection the C64 version I played had:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenslock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was pretty bad. I don't remember that system from my Spectrum days but I remember Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga had a pretty bad system too where the game would ask you each time you landed for a letter in the manual by giving you the page number, line and word number ( i think) and it didn't even tell you whether you had gotten it right or not, only if you failed "too much" the game would quit or something... But it was an amazing game anyway...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Elite. I played it a lot on my Apple II. I remember being sad when I got my Apple IIgs and it had issues running on it.

I really, really wanted the Elite jacket. They had a promotion that if you could get to Elite status the game would show a code and you could get a free Elite jacket. But it would of taken forever to do it. I played it for months and never got close.

Oh and the Apple II version didn't have that annoying copy protection. I remember it though. I first saw the game on the C64 since at the time I worked at Egghead Software and we got that version in stock first. That has got to be the worst copy protection ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hale
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a version of Elite available for Pocket PCs (like the HP iPAQ) at http://www.eliteppc.com. Really took me back to my Apple II Plus days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a big Elite fan too, on a Schneider CPC6128 - it had no copy protection issues. I remember the self-made "captain's log" I had printed to keep track of the goods I bought and sold, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fishy
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the nostalgic but not *that* nostalgic, there's a modern remake of Elite: OOlite. Same game, but with higher resolution graphics, and user-moddable.

I'm not too much of a fan personally as since Frontier, i can't go back to the 1 system / 1 planet / 1 station model of the old game, but there's an amazing amount of people that cling to the old way. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.