GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: PSA: Office Depot brand products SUCK. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
About a month ago, I purchased some full-sheet label stock, and bit on the Office Depot brand because it reflected about a $12 savings. It turns out that not only was the quality of the labels less than that of the Avery brand, but also that the backing was more likely to pull the sticky off the paper than it was to peel itself off of the sticky. When I went back to the store to complain about the quality, the manager said that they wouldn't exchange it for the name-brand labels, and that the store offered no guarantee on their products.

I purchased a replacement inkjet cartridge for my printer through eBay, and didn't realize until I received it today that it was also an Office Depot brand cartridge (this was my fault, not the eBayer's). It says on the side of the cartridge, "Replaces: HP 78," but sure enough, my printer doesn't know what to do with this cartridge. It's like it's a living thing, and the immune system is trying to reject a transplanted liver, or something. It's aggravating, but a lesson learned, I suppose.

I'm done with Office Depot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
About a month ago, I purchased some full-sheet label stock, and bit on the Office Depot brand because it reflected about a $12 savings. It turns out that not only was the quality of the labels less than that of the Avery brand, but also that the backing was more likely to pull the sticky off the paper than it was to peel itself off of the sticky. When I went back to the store to complain about the quality, the manager said that they wouldn't exchange it for the name-brand labels, and that the store offered no guarantee on their products.

I purchased a replacement inkjet cartridge for my printer through eBay, and didn't realize until I received it today that it was also an Office Depot brand cartridge (this was my fault, not the eBayer's). It says on the side of the cartridge, "Replaces: HP 78," but sure enough, my printer doesn't know what to do with this cartridge. It's like it's a living thing, and the immune system is trying to reject a transplanted liver, or something. It's aggravating, but a lesson learned, I suppose.

I'm done with Office Depot.

You probably shouldn't eat any of their products either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I once purchased some full sheet labels from Staples for a laser printer. After printing out several board sections, I started to sort them out and noticed that the toner was smearing off of the sheets. I think this was the Avery brand, but that's not the point. I brought them to the store, even though I had used several, and they still gave me a full refund. I took it in store credit since I just turned around and bought the ink-jet labels anyway. So, yeah, Staples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
It says on the side of the cartridge, "Replaces: HP 78," but sure enough, my printer doesn't know what to do with this cartridge. It's like it's a living thing, and the immune system is trying to reject a transplanted liver, or something.

Having worked at Office Depot for a while I would see customers come in time and time again with this same problem. In my experience most of the replacements for HP inkjet cartridges will not work because of HP's authentication program built into HP printers.

In addition, never buy any Office Depot products such as pens, paper shredders, pencils or "leather bags". This includes all of Office Depot's brands: Ativa, Castlebridge, Foray, Niceday and Office Depot. Office Depot's brand office chairs are great but I am very weary of their furniture especially their wooden file cabinets that had a problem with tipping forward and crushing people. Also their "leather bags" had some serious mold problems about 2 years ago that made many employees who handled the bags very sick. I can only imagine what the bags did to customers who used these bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having sold 1000s of copiers/ laser and ink jet printers over a twenty year career, discounted house brands, no name substitutes and refilled products usually don't work right off the bat, cause problems down the road or yield significantly less per cartridge. Enough less to offset the discount.

I recommend finding a discounted source for OEM supplies.

You may think this is obvious but, when buying substrate, (you know, paper) make sure you buy it for the correct printer type. Substrates designed for ink jet printers may not run well or at all in laser devices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Office Depot sucks.

I purchased black ink for a Brother All in One. The employee, asst mgr, swore up and down that it was the same type of ink, just at a better price.

It completely ruined the printer, leaking and damaging something inside of it...even with brother brand ink, it continued to print in a weird Cthulhu type purple...zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm always looking to save a buck, there are certain products that I feel you're better off with sticking to brand names.

1. Anything sticky.
Labels = Avery. Everything else (tape to post-it notes) = 3M
I've been burned by no-name tapes of various types:
Masking tape - bleeding around edges, tape no easily coming off project
scotch tape - not sticking well to glossy wrapping paper
post-it notes - either not sticky enough and falling off, or too sticky and damaging what it was stuck to.

2. Ink and toner

3. Hand tools - cheap, Chinese crap is good for rounding nuts and busting knuckles. You don't have to get high end (Snap-On). You (usually) can't go wrong with Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowes) or good ol' Craftsman (Sears and Kmart). I'll stress the "usually" - you need to watch out for the door-buster specials. Sears has been slapping the "Craftsman" label on more and more Chinese stuff lately. Thank goodness for their lifetime warranty. HD has some el-cheapo-looking $20 jumbo screwdriver sets up front, but the stuff back in the tool section is much better.

You'll spend a little more upfront, but in the long run, you'll be happier, and you'll probably save money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a UPSer, I can also get down with the Office Depot boycott, because they routinely ship hundreds, in which I am not exagerating, of reams of their store-brand paper at once.

I imagine they do this to get some sort of a bulk discount, rather than it being a strictly business-practice issue... and that would be cool and all, but THEY'RE 53 POUNDS APIECE.

Do the math, and you'll know why I hate 'Office Depot day'.

I just remembered: That, and their box-lids are held on by two flimsy plastic bands... about 1/20 comes apart. Heavy, falling-open box = bad, bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll buy store brand for pretty much anything, but I learned at my last job that store-brand stationery is asking for trouble.

It was a tutoring business, so most of my day was spent making photocopies and hand-writing things with pencils. Except they used Staples brand pencils, which would routinely sharpen down to nubs before you got a point that wouldn't break, and Staples brand copy paper, which was really cheap and warped from the heat of the copier. So the copier broke down. Every. Single. Day.

If they were willing to spend a couple more bucks on paper, they wouldn't have had to pay me for an hour every day spent unjamming the copier. And I might not have quit.

A pox upon store-brand stationery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: I took a chance and made a trip to Office Depot to exchange the cartridge. I explained the whole deal, that I had purchased the cartridge through a second-hand seller, but still felt that it, being their brand of cartridge, should have some sort of guarantee. I asked to exchange it toward the HP brand of cartridge, and the manager did so, without argument.

So, they're now 1-1. We'll see where the third burp will take us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.