GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,636 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fantasy Flight Games» Forums » General

Subject: GenCon 2008 Kudos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say that I was surprised at the wealth of offerings FFG had @ GenCon this year. IMO between FFG and Mayfair, your Exibition Hall time would have been tough to fit in anything else. So much fun, so little time.

Some of my $0.02 highlights for FFG:

Mutant Chronicles - I am so glad FFG decided to make this a non-collectible game. The mins are amazingly detailed are in general well done. Oh yeah --- the game is fun too.

Conan - I had to catch a flight and could not finish a complete demo Sunday morning. However Bill from FFG did a fine job giving me a run through. I see a lot of promise in the game and had fun during the time I played it.

BSG - My first impression --- another Shadows Over Camelot, but so what? It has great production, and awesome flavor. And the most important thing...I had great fun playing it.

Cosmic Encounters - I have seen and played every reprint of this game since Eon (even Games Workshop). With FFG getting a hold of this, I was really excited and FFG did not disappoint. The art is amazing, the card stock superb and it looks like they are taking it a step futher from the Mayfair trend (my fav version) and streamline its production and play. My only dissapointment was no reverse cone. I only got to speak to the demo person for 10 minutes before my flight who was very helpfull. I plan to post pics and do more detail on my club's website later today.

Game of Thrones TCG --- Again, kudos to FFG for going away from a collectible to a non-collectible format along with a boardgame facelift (WOTC --- NETRUNNER NEEDS THIS!!!). I had limited room in my carry-on. That room was given to this game. meeple

I wish I could have fit in some Cthulu TCG but between Mayfair and the rest of the Con, I was busy busy busy. Well...now back to the real world... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add to that Moto GrandPrix, which I think is a great alternative to Formula De, and the fact that I could get Descent: Tomb of Ice early, FFG was hands down the best company at GenCon this year.

An aside: could Wizards of the Coast have been any less bothered to make a showing. Their booth was pathetic this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhuntin1 wrote:
An aside: could Wizards of the Coast have been any less bothered to make a showing. Their booth was pathetic this year.

Sigh. Remember the good ol' days when you entered the great hall at the Mecca in Milwaukee and the first thing you saw was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
This year's WOTC booth was lacking. Maybe someone stormed the castle and took it home (along with all the banners, chairs and only left them the carpet and 4 display cases).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhuntin1 wrote:

Yeah they were ok. I think they depended on the RPGA activities to carry them through, and all of the stuff in the CCG area. I was also able to watch the funny video they had about D & D outside the booth it was funny.

I think I finally nailed what made me feel tepid about the WoTC exhibit. The booth felt more like a small mall jewelry store to look at pieces, instead of a game demo booth where you can sit down, relax and enjoy a demo (ex. Mayfair & FFG). Just my opinion of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not only did FF have a great booth with lots to play, they were also very forthcoming with information about upcoming games, like alot of the old GW stuff. I asked if they were going to get around to doing Chaos Marauders and the answer was yes!

Now if somebody could just kick Chessex into getting around to reprinting Plague and Pestilence all would be well.

WoTC was behind the booth I had been working in, I didnt even know they were there until later on Saturday when i was wandering about. No traffic going anywhere near them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.