GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 18xx, I now understand, Thanks TGA!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe

Pennsylvania
msg tools
So this year at GenCon my friend and I decided to sit down to 18xx teaching event from the TGA folks, the game was 1830. Every year at GenCon we have walked past these 18xx "train" games scratching our heads wondering what all the fuss was about. I now understand and this game is incredible. After playing it we immediately said that this game should be taught in every business school in the US. And the TGA folks, as always, are a wonderful group of people.

So my question now is how do i get a copy of the game? And which version of the 18xx series should we try to obtain. I found out the hardway that 1830 is not forgiving if you get "out played" in the beginning, plus the $100 price tag i've seen around might make it a tough buy, but since we were not able to get into 1856, 1870 or any of the seemingly bazillion other versions, which one should we try to aspire too? We would like to stick to something with a US board and any advice is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmage1 wrote:
So this year at GenCon my friend and I decided to sit down to 18xx teaching event from the TGA folks, the game was 1830... After playing it we immediately said that this game should be taught in every business school in the US.

I'm sorry, but I just have to laugh a bit about that comment

How do you get a copy? Pony the cash on ebay or the Geek Market and buy it. Yep, it's pretty expensive.

Other options include putting together a free kit game like 18AL or 18GA (print and plays, links on the game entries), buying a related game from Deep Thought (1889 is a smaller 1830 set in Japan for instance) or biting the bullet and buying one of the bigger, more complex ones that are readily available from Mayfair.

What game you plan on buying should depend on how many you plan to play with, how long you want to play, and how much more complex you want the game to be. 1830 is basically the most stripped down version of the stock looting/trashing part of the 18XX family. There is another branch that focuses more on operations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:

1830 is basically the most stripped down version of the stock looting/trashing part of the 18XX family. There is another branch that focuses more on operations.

What branch would that be? I've always been more interested in the operations side of train games and less interested in the stock/economic manipulation side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The other branch is the 1829 branch, most popularised by various 1825 units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Brandt
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started with 18xx series with a few of my friends. You were really lucky that you had someone as a teatcher, we were all new to the series and our first 18AL game took nearly 7 hours. But everyone had a blast and got the idea what they should be doing, so aiming for a new game next gamenight.

18AL and 18GA are available as print and play, but the publisher still hase some gaming kits for sale for quite reasonable price. I only dropped it and chose print and play, because shipping to Europe was bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Most people seem to think the game to get is 1870. I personally like 1835, but it seems few other people do.

There were a few dozen for sale at the Mayfair booth. You know, when at Gencon, if you play any game that you like, the first thing to do is go directly to the booth for that company and see if they have it. If they don't, go directly to resellers like Troll and Toad or Egor's and see if they have it. If they don't, you could try the auction, but you're likely headed for eBay.

Really, 18xx games are easy to find. Just try any of the links to stores on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Most people seem to think the game to get is 1870. I personally like 1835, but it seems few other people do.

Have you tried 18EU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darkmage1 wrote:
So my question now is how do i get a copy of the game? And which version of the 18xx series should we try to obtain. I found out the hardway that 1830 is not forgiving if you get "out played" in the beginning, plus the $100 price tag i've seen around might make it a tough buy, but since we were not able to get into 1856, 1870 or any of the seemingly bazillion other versions, which one should we try to aspire too? We would like to stick to something with a US board and any advice is appreciated.

Hmmm, you can get 1856 and 1870 for the price of 1830. I'd suggest that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently picked up 1856 at my FLGS for under $40, so there's definitely ways to get 18xx games inexpensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
BFoy wrote:
Have you tried 18EU?

True confession time;

No. Not only no, I don't even know what this is. In fact, despite a long love affair with 18xx games and having played a half dozen different ones and even competed in tournaments for this genre, I've got no idea what these letter based versions are, where they came from, what it takes to get and play one. These are print and play, no? Or use components from existing games with print and play maps or something?

When I think of 18xx, it's about a half dozen games that came in boxes and were sold to me or others over a counter at a convention or game store. Everything after that doesn't really seem to exist in my mind... my problem, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmage1 wrote:
So this year at GenCon my friend and I decided to sit down to 18xx teaching event from the TGA folks, the game was 1830. Every year at GenCon we have walked past these 18xx "train" games scratching our heads wondering what all the fuss was about. I now understand and this game is incredible. After playing it we immediately said that this game should be taught in every business school in the US. And the TGA folks, as always, are a wonderful group of people.

My brother and I also did the 18XX teaching session at Gen Con this year, and if you were in the Saturday 4:00pm slot, then we were probably playing the game right next to you. If that’s the case, then Tony was your teacher, and he was incredibly confusing. The guy who was helping us was much better and afterwards we asked him how to get it.

1830 is really expensive (if you can find it) and he suggested 1856 or 1870. It looks like you should be able to pick up 1870 for less than $40. It has the same basic set up but deals with the Midwest instead of the east coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cosine wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Have you tried 18EU?

True confession time;

No. Not only no, I don't even know what this is. In fact, despite a long love affair with 18xx games and having played a half dozen different ones and even competed in tournaments for this genre, I've got no idea what these letter based versions are, where they came from, what it takes to get and play one. These are print and play, no? Or use components from existing games with print and play maps or something?

When I think of 18xx, it's about a half dozen games that came in boxes and were sold to me or others over a counter at a convention or game store. Everything after that doesn't really seem to exist in my mind... my problem, I know.

There is no shame about that. I've not played many more than a half dozen myself. 18EU reminds me of 1835. It has 15 minors and they merge to form the majors. Its a David Hecht design and was originally web-published. Now its published by Deep Thought Games, http://www.deepthoughtgames.com/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the best way to learn an 18XX game is to have a veteran player teach you the mechanics and basic strategy of the game. I have moderated numerous such games in the forums here on BGG.

Once you get the fever, the most inexpensive ways to scratch the 18XX itch are:

a) to have friends that own copies of the games, or
b) to obtain the free (and excellent) p-n-p games 18AL and 18GA and make your own game kits, or
c) join up the 18XX PBeM guild here on BGG and find (or organize) a game to be moderated via email using CyberBoard, VASSAL, or some other method

If you want to purchase games for face to face play, I would recommend going the Mayfair route and obtaining (in order) 1856, 1870, 1825, 1835.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the same as above. However, if you like the route-building side more than the stock manipulation side, I recommend 1853 (which is probably really expensive by now).

BFoy, thanks for the 18EU pointer. I liked a lot of the concepts in 1835, but thought there was too little flexibility in the flow of the game, so it sounds like that's worth a real look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Pretty much the same as above. However, if you like the route-building side more than the stock manipulation side, I recommend 1853 (which is probably really expensive by now).

BFoy, thanks for the 18EU pointer. I liked a lot of the concepts in 1835, but thought there was too little flexibility in the flow of the game, so it sounds like that's worth a real look.

Yes, 18EU handles minors very simularly to 1835. The run in a set order. The key difference is the majors are just empty husks. When 1 or more minors merge into a major, that defines the major. The majors have no set starting areas or other differences. So the minors define the game and the majors are just an extension of that.

The other key change is the 'dutch' auction. The price for each minor can up or down (starting at $100). Its one of my favorite 18xx games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.