GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,469 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: How do you pronounce Agricola? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sawyer
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, I got my copy of the game, but how do I pronounce it?

It's Latin for farmer and poly-syllabic Latin words have the accent on the penultimate syllable, so one latin guide said soft "o" as in "orb" or "off" (ah-gri-KAH-lah)? But I also see (ah GREE koh lah) as how to pronounce the boy's name Agricola, and dictionary.com says (uh-GRIK-uh-luh) for the name of the famous Agricola.

Maybe I'll just say "Let's play THIS (hold up box) game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nuhm-ber wuhn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
poly-syllabic Latin words have the accent on the penultimate syllable

Up to a point, Lord Copper. In agricola, the vowels are are short (Latinwise), so the stress is on the antepenult. It only goes on the penult if the penult has a long vowel. I vote for the third pronunciation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the pronunciation that matches the Ricola commercials.I'm sure it has nothing to do with the real pronunciation.

Aaaaagreeeeeeecolaaaaaaaa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, by the medieval period I think the stressed vowels became long no matter what.

Of course in 1673 no farmer on the planet was speaking any kind of Latin so hey: Dealer's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See exhaustive answers to this question here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/263350/page/1

EDIT: (It's A-grih -cuh-la. Stress on the second syllable. The 'i' letter is pronounced like "grin.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I was the first to address this issue almost a year ago after I heard it being horribly mispronounced at Euroquest.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/239212

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Sawyer wrote:

Sûrch fuhngk-shuhn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, pronounce it however you want, unless the publisher wants to recommend something.

JohnRayJr wrote:
See exhaustive answers to this question here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/263350/page/1

EDIT: (It's A-grih -cuh-la. Stress on the second syllable. The 'i' letter is pronounced like "grin.")

The person, in that thread, who sounds like they know their Latin, says the pronunciation authentic to Latin would be 'ah-GREE-coh-lah'.

Personally, I think the anglicized way to say it would probably be 'agri-COLA'. That sounds more natural to me, as an English speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
I would say, pronounce it however you want, unless the publisher wants to recommend something.

I think this goes without saying. I'm just answering a question which would not have been asked in the first place if the OP's attitude was "I'll just pronounce it whichever way seems best or natural to me."

cull wrote:
Personally, I think the anglicized way to say it would probably be 'agri-COLA'. That sounds more natural to me, as an English speaker.

Again, your choice. As for the "anglicized" pronunciation, others have noted that various current farming-related business (awards, associations, etc.) already use the word, and pronounce it as I said and as it is explained in the thread.

Lastly, an italian / Latin "i" does not sound exactly like "grin" OR "greek." Neither does justice to the accent. Because the sound is quite short, grin is closer, since the "ee" sound in English is always long.

Carry on.

EDIT: I would say pronounce it however you want, whether or not the publisher recommends something. There's no reason to stop there if you're pronouncing according to personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
I will pronounce the game Agricola ... the English way. Why? B/c I speak English.

When everyone clamoring for the latinate pronunciation starts pronouncing the "v" in victory as a "w," then I'll take their views more seriously. Other than that, we're talking about a whole heaping helping of 1/2 informed pedantry.

Edit: oh yeah ... and the game is simply brilliant.

There is no clamor, only polite answers for those who are curious. When everyone declaring their "rights of pronunciation" takes note of question marks and benign linguistic interest...

Other than that, we're talking about a whole heaping helping of can't-be-bothered-to-read defensiveness.

Yes, the game is brilliant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Latin, the letter "I" is pronounced "ee."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
The pronunciation you are looking for can best be achieved by tickling your gag reflex with either your finger or a feather. A full stomach will create a stunning visual effect to go with the proper pronunciation.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:

Yes, but the syllable is not as long as it is in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:

Except, of course, when it isn't.

This book is decent treatment of the subject. I highly recommend reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Sawyer wrote:

R-O-L-A-I-D-S

Wait, sorry. That's how I spell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc West
msg tools
There s no verbal Latin, lol! Only what is left after two thousand years of bastardisation.

It is pronounced Ah-gree-ko-la versus how the Americans like to pronounce it agrik u la. Which is a gag reflex after eating chickfila!

But then again only in america can something sound dyslexic, a gag reflex and back ward all in one!

Its all Moss Cow to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah-GREE-co-la

It's Latin for "to farm" and you can hear a teacher drilling his class on the various conjugations of the verb in the movie "Dead Poet's Society".

(Assuming they got it right!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Nied
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
'It's Latin for "to farm"'

Not quite. Agricola is a noun, meaning "one who farms" or "farmer" from ager (field). Also, nouns are declined rather than conjugated, which applies to verbs.

Ah-GREE-co-la is the correct pronunciation though. The rule is: if the second last syllable is long, accent it. Otherwise, accent the third last syllable. Since "-co" is short, the accent goes on the "-gri."

The same principle shows why Spartacus is pronounced SPAR-ta-cus instead of Spar-TAK-US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who says we need to defer to Latin? English has "borrowed" words from all major and most minor languages, then "Anglofied" them......both in pronunciation and meaning...

It is a word that begins the same way that "agriculture" begins and thus I pronounce it similarly,,,

AG-ri-ko-lah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Who says we need to defer to Latin? English has "borrowed" words from all major and most minor languages, then "Anglofied" them......both in pronunciation and meaning...

It is a word that begins the same way that "agriculture" begins and thus I pronounce it similarly,,,

AG-ri-ko-lah

We need to defer to latin because it is NOT a word we stole. Rather a word used for a title.

Do you use agricola in everyday life as a word for a farmer or farming? No? Didn't think so.

Had it been one of many many words/prefixes/suffixes we have stolen from various languages I would agree. But it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pichuneke neke
msg tools
mbmbmb
Like in Spanish.

As far as I remember, Latin was pronounced like modern Spanish. In Spanish the accent is placed in the second syllable.

If you click on the speaker of the left box, you can hear the Spanish pronunciation here:

https://translate.google.es/?hl=es&tab=wT#es/en/agr%C3%ADcol...

But Google also gives you the pronunciation in Latin, so lets see...

https://translate.google.es/?hl=es&tab=wT#la/en/agricola

The "a" is too long for my Spanish pronunciation, but as you can hear, it sounds exactly like Spanish.

I hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always just pronounced it the same way as agriculture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
If wishes were fishes all wrapped up in rices
badge
we'd all have a plateful of sushi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diggin up ol' dirt here, but I like to say it as I would imagine an Iowa farmer would:
agri-CO-la.
It's probably wrong, but it's what I find comfortable.
A little cringe shivers through my body when I hear or say "ah-GRICK-ola."
Not to say it's wrong! Those that do are probably right. Just can't do it personally.

It is similar to how I still tend to say "Foe" when pronouncing "Phở" or "Bahn EYE-ver" when pronouncing "Bon Iver."
Mea culpa. Just can't help m'self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.