GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minor Improvement to a Major Improvement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cooking Hearth Major Improvement says "Return Fireplace OR pay 4 clay". I had the Simple Fireplace Minor Improvement, and I wondered whether I could return the Simple Fireplace for the Cooking Hearth when I take a "1 Major Improvement" action.

I take this to mean yes. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is legal. The Simple Fireplace is discarded at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Yes, that is legal. The Simple Fireplace is discarded at that point.

Good, that's how I've been playing.

I did not want to go back to my opponents and say "All those games weren't legal!" shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie
Spain
Inca
Baleares
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireplace is not discarded, you just RETURN it to the Major Improvements board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juanjoroig wrote:
Fireplace is not discarded, you just RETURN it to the Major Improvements board.

The Simple Fireplace is a Minor Improvement, and therefore is not returned to the Major Improvements board. Because it is not a Major Improvement. But a Minor.

It's discarded when upgraded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with all these interpretations of this rule, but where is everyone getting this from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watcher_b wrote:
I'm cool with all these interpretations of this rule, but where is everyone getting this from?

Possible sources in this case: common sense (a simple fireplace is a fireplace, after all), or the Lookout Games forum ([http://forum.lookout-games.de/index.php?topic=683).

If you don't trust your own common sense, and can't read German, I've collected a few of these interpretations in a document that you can now download from the Files section (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/34558).

EDIT: Also, this question had already been answered here on the geek (http://www.boardgamegeeks.com/thread/330152).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie
Spain
Inca
Baleares
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! Sorry! I understood he was talking about the fireplace in the Major improvements board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watcher_b wrote:

This was the first question I tried to use the appendix to answer, but it wasn't to be found. I actually came to the opposite conclusion, as the example/clarification in the rules specifically references "Fireplace."

But so it goes, there are a lot of cards. I just think it's kind of funny that this one went south on me, and there are a few references in the appendix that change my interpretation of cards I thought were unambiguous. I think it would have been best for any card with an appendix "ruling" to have a tiny asterisk or graphic somewhere on it. Of course, this wouldn't have worked for this card, anyway....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bracey
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
common sense (a simple fireplace is a fireplace, after all)

Common sense? I agree that a "simple fireplace" is a fireplace, but in this case the card demands a Fireplace. Is a "Simple Fireplace" a "Fireplace"? I'd say no, if not for the fact that there's been an official ruling. The capital letters make all the difference - given a card with the title "Fireplace", and another card specifying the "Fireplace", in capitals, it's natural to assume that the requirement is specifically for the card titled "Fireplace".

And again, on common sense, if I demand to see the Director, and I'm presented with the Assistant Director, would it be churlish of me to complain - should I be mollified with the explanation that the Assistant Director is a Director? I guess it would all be down to whether I asked to see "a Director" or "the Director". And the Cooking Hearth doesn't specify - it says "Return Fireplace"; the absence of an article implies "the".

It would help if the Cooking Hearth had its requirement rephrased to match the Baker's Kitchen, which says "Return 1 Oven of your choice". It should say "Return 1 Fireplace of your choice". Or just "Return a Fireplace" would help.

I can't help but have the feeling that the "Simple Fireplace" was invented some time after the "Fireplace" and "Cooking Hearth", and it wasn't appreciated that this left the wording on Cooking Hearth unclear, with "Fireplace" having changed from being a card title to also being a category of cards.

This issue is my number one candidate to be added to the card appendix...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. if you wanted to see a Director, you wouldn't be satisfied with a Simple Director?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.