GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,802 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The flaming fanboys of one game that flame the other flaming fanboys are just as flaming as the fanboys they flame. Sit down for a sec.

Could the rating path of Agricola be connected to "fun" vs "good"? A fun game will peak out of the gate, and a good game will be played for a long time (perhaps competitively). All of the early ratings are going to be based on the fun of a game from people who were excited to play it right away. A year after release, ratings will be from people who picked it off a friend's game shelf after hearing it was good.

Would it be interesting if ratings were tracked as a graph instead of a single point?

Maybe BGG could have a RatingRefresher section in the profile like GeekQuestions that prompts "You haven't played xxxx in a while, what do you still think of it?" Maybe 3 games packaged in to a GeekMail to refresh the ratings on every few weeks.

Personally, I occasionally read over a rating to a game I gave years ago and am embarrassed by how different my feelings are now. A combination of refresh reminders and ratings tracked over time would really make some interesting data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:
Would it be interesting if ratings were tracked as a graph instead of a single point?

A graph of the ratings from individual month or year? I'd very much be interested in seeing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an xml api, you can load the xml directly in excel and you can make your pretty pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted on this topic the other day:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333430

Similarly, people have looked at ratings change of individual ratings, and those tend not to change so much at all.

With Agricola, the lack of widespread release until this month makes it very hard, but certainly the ratings in the first 3 months were substantially higher than they are now (8.9-ish v. 8.4-ish).

While there's clearly a spectrum, there does appear to be a bit of a split between two kinds of games: those that fade about 0.02/month and those that fade more like 0.01/month.

"Faders": Caylus, Shogun, BattleLore
"Steady": Notre Dame, Race for the Galaxy, Twilight Struggle

If you "slide the graphs" to the left such that there's a plot of "average ratings N months after release", nothing even comes vaguely close to Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico had been out 4 years by the time its rating fell to the level Agricola's at now.

To be honest, I think the notion of "hype" is over-hyped (which of course, means you shouldn't even take this that seriously). The only high ranked game who's graph show's a precipitous fall I'd feel comfortable calling "hype" has been BattleLore, who's average-by-month rating fell by 0.8 in under a year. Caylus, in contrast, was more like 0.4 in a year. Puerto Rico took 3 years to fall 0.4.

Sorry I (or Scott) don't have the time to make a public interface to this data, but maybe Scott will after the other 100 things on his queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
minordemon wrote:
There is an xml api, you can load the xml directly in excel and you can make your pretty pictures.

Yeah, the XMLAPI is great
But, it doesn't quite give you ratings agglomerated by month. It gives you the average of all for a given point in the past, and theoretically you could work backwards and generate just the ratings that were edited in a particular month, but that's annoying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
Yeah, the XMLAPI is great
But, it doesn't quite give you ratings agglomerated by month. It gives you the average of all for a given point in the past, and theoretically you could work backwards and generate just the ratings that were edited in a particular month, but that's annoying

I don't think I understand.

Wouldn't the (new) ratings per month be too irregular, because of the low numbers of ratings?

The xml api isn't really a point in time. The history flag gives you the rating development over a period. But you know that! because you wrote it(? not exactly sure about this) Or at least you made the examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
minordemon wrote:

Wouldn't the (new) ratings per month be too irregular, because of the low numbers of ratings?

They are certainly more irregular, but the popular games get 100+ new ratings every month. Puerto Rico still exceeds 400 a month.

So, yes, there's a lot of variance, but it's plenty consistent enough to fit a trend line. Puerto Rico, for example, in months 9-15 after release varied in average monthly rating of 9.05 to 9.2. Caylus in the same window varied from 8.0 to 8.4. Puerto Rico in months 24-30 varied from 8.4 to 8.9. So, yeah, variability month-to-month, but over 1+ years, enough to observe a trend.

Quote:

The xml api isn't really a point in time. The history flag gives you the rating development over a period.

The historical XML API is a "point in time" in the sense that it is all the ratings that were current as of a point in time in the past (eg, August 2007), not just an average of ratings that were added/modified in August 2007.

Quote:

But you know that! because you wrote it(? not exactly sure about this) Or at least you made the examples.

Yes, I wrote most of the XML API originally, but Daniel and Scott have made substantial modifications, including Scott's addition of the historical ratings data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:

Kind of like these ones?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27105

I still think it would be awesome to not only make graphs of ratings over time, but to be able to play them as Linerider levels. Now that would be a useful feature for BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.