GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Confused by 2nd edition rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I just bought the game and finished reading the rule book. It said Margath and the Dragon Runes would be discussed in greater detail, but there's nothing about the runes and Margath is only mentioned in the doom track variant (which I don't want to play) -- did they forget to explain how to win the freaking game?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KEITH DINKLAGE
United States
NEW CASTLE
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
This sloppiness on the part of the designer, editor, and company caused me to forsake the game and any expansions. Even the publisher's website fails to address this and many rules issues in the official errata. Fix your base game rules and rulebook before expanding.

It makes me appreciate all the more the efforts of designers and publishers who personally answer rule questions and update FAQs on their websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to go into greater detail. Kill Margath or collect three Dragon Runes to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That's a shame. I bought Runescape because I was impressed by the solo play in Arkham Horror. I figured FFG would hold themselves to a consistent standard of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull out the red encounter deck and read the cards. It makes a lot more sense when you do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Pull out the red encounter deck and read the cards. It makes a lot more sense when you do that.

This isn't a bad idea. You could also go through the event cards in color order. As for the victory conditions, another poster mentioned that you win by defeating Margath OR defeating 3 other red dragons (i.e., collecting 3 dragon runes).

I had a similar response to yours, when I first started playing the game. Now, though, it is my favorite solo game. Much better than Arkham Horror. A.H. is a much better co-op game, though. I've managed to play Runebound co-op every once and a while with my daughters, but it doesn't shine.

The official rule book is barely coherent. Do check out some of the summaries in the file section. They'll help.

If you go solo, I _highly_ recommend that you use the "threat track" variant. This variant is simpler than the Doom track, and it provides some time pressure. I've posted some stats in the forums that provide the average game length for different threat levels, so that players will have a rough sense of how long a game will last using this variant.

When I play solo, I also like to provide my character with a "story handicap" after the first blue encounter. I think that it helps provide story flavor, but that's just my own preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"Story handicap" -- does that mean you invent a weakness or character flaw for your hero to add some tension?

This is unrelated, but I'm now realizing that the randomness of the item deck makes the towns completely interchangable. Has anyone proposed a variant where you group the higher priced items together and form seperate decks for each town (i.e 1-2 gold deck for Town A, 3-4 gold deck for Town B) so there'd be a reason to visit one town vs. another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bullwinkle
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
skomand wrote:
That's a shame. I bought Runescape because I was impressed by the solo play in Arkham Horror. I figured FFG would hold themselves to a consistent standard of quality.

Runebound solo is fantastic.

FFG's games are great, but their rulebooks pretty much all need work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Now that I've got your attention, Mark, which are the best expansions for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skomand wrote:
"Story handicap" -- does that mean you invent a weakness or character flaw for your hero to add some tension?

This is unrelated, but I'm now realizing that the randomness of the item deck makes the towns completely interchangable. Has anyone proposed a variant where you group the higher priced items together and form seperate decks for each town (i.e 1-2 gold deck for Town A, 3-4 gold deck for Town B) so there'd be a reason to visit one town vs. another.

There are some variants floating around that have different towns specialize in different types of items (e.g., weapons, armor, etc.). I can't remember if these are located in the file section or the forums, but they are there. I've fiddled around with this some, but concluded that it involved too much card sorting for the gain. What I've found is that dealing out 2 - 3 cards per town at the start yields a nice spread, so that one town will have that great ally you want, and another will have that dwarven grenade you'd like. I suppose you could also do what the Island of Dread big-box expansion does, and deal out 6 cards to the most remote town, and a single card to the others.

If you play Runebound solo, you'll probably end up with a few variants you like. Me, I like the threat track (set at about 15 - 16). I like to level up at 4 EPs, have death occur when damage > hearts for the hero (but = hearts for baddies), and I like the idea introduced in Sands of al-Kalim of "adventure kits." These are 1 gold purchases that when discarded permit a +3 bonus on skill checks. Oh yeah, and you've got the "story handicap" idea exactly right. Even if your hero ends up dead, at least he / she goes out struggling...and when they manage to win in spite of, say, repelling all allies due to disfiguration from acid, it's all the more fun.

Finally, with expansions you will no doubt get _many_ opinions. Me, my favorite is "Traps&Terrors." I love it. The art work is nice, and it introduces a dungeony feel to the game. It and the adventure expansion "The Scepter of Kyros" are rock solid. In the latter the Margath story-line is replaced by giants who invade and then eventually take over a few towns. Good stuff! If you continue to enjoy the game, I'd recommend getting the big-box Sands of Al-Kalim. I think it plays better than the base game, but of course, you need the base game to play it. That's why I'd wait to make sure that there's some enjoyment before burning through another 30 bucks.

I'll stop there. I hope some of this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yes, very helpful, thanks! I'll be back soon with a session report.

I bought The Scepter of Kyros and Wind Walkers along with the main game, but my local game shop was out of Traps & Terrors. I might buy it online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you did not have similar issues with Arkham Horror. I've found all the Fantasy Flight rulebooks good to read and get a general idea of gameplay but when faced with particular rule questions they are useless. The rules are generally in there but finding them in the heat of gameplay is a tricky prospect. They almost need to add another rulebook for people who actually play the game to use. I agree with previous posts that grabbing summary sheets and guides from BGG is the way to go. I can't stress how useful the flowcharts have been for showing AH to new players - the rulebook just raises more questions than explains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My first time through AH alone went pretty smoothly. My biggest mistake was assuming the monster limit was four when playing solo with two investigators. The book says the monster limit equals the number of "players + 3", not investigators.

I also wasn't 100% sure how flying monsters behaved, but FFG's web site cleared that up. I still don't know if you're allowed to move backwards in a single movement phase, or if you're allowed to skip movement altogether.

Of course, the main drawback to playing solo is there's no one around to tell you when you're wrong. I'm heading to a gaming group on Sunday where there'll hopefully be some AH fans to bounce some questions off of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skomand wrote:
I bought Runescape ... I figured FFG would hold themselves to a consistent standard of quality.

You mean like getting the name of the game right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Whoops. What the heck is RuneScape and why is that name in my head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skomand wrote:
It's actually a great idea for a variant - Runebound played in 3D on Heroscape terrain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I played Scepter of Kyros today. Everything was going swimmingly until I drew Murphilious the Greedy with 23 gold in my pocket. All my combat rolls suffered a -11 penalty for the rest of the fight. Both my allies were dead in 2 rounds and I was dead in 2 more. Woke up in Vynevale completely broke, with the terror track at 9. Lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
skomand wrote:

Runescape is a browser based MMORPG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.